My Do-It-Yourself IKEA Pedalboard Build Thread

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Simply amazing, I should have gotten you to build mine! I'm really digging the orange and black.

I think once I finally settle on which pedals I want on my board for good then I'll really turn my Gorm into something a little more attractive. I really like how clean and organized it looks, absolutely no cord spaghetti!

Yeah, the GORM boards really lend themselves well to a clean layout where you can easily hide the cords. Here's the back of the completed pedalboard. It works great for EHX-type pedals where the cables come out the back. BOSS-type pedals work well in the front row where side-mounted cables can go into the gap between the first and second row of wood.

backofboard.jpg

• Members

nice work!

did the stabilizer eliminate the flexing problem? can the board handle a karate kick?

Yes, and no.

I'm sure the stabilizer helps, but I had to make it out of hard wood (poplar?). Can't remember, but it was hard as hell. Anyway, it's not attached to the front of the board because I'm afraid of splitting the wood if I try to use a wood screw. So I'm hoping I can find someone with a finishing nail gun. If I could get two really thin nails holding the stabilizer to the front of the pedal, it'll make it *much* more stable over the long haul.

For now, it does add a bit of strength to the pedalboard, but a well-placed karate kick would probably do it in. :facepalm: To survive a karate kick, you need a PedalTrain Jr. I think.

• Members

Awesome. I guess I'll do my pedalboard the same way (maybe just the Gorm shelf and nothing else, just for the ease of transportation).

Attaching the end pieces was actually really easy. I used the same short pieces of pine that are designed for the GORM shelf extensions. The angle isn't too steep, but it gives you plenty of room underneath the pedalboard for a power strip and a couple of non-standard adapters.

You only need a power hand drill and saw. And if you don't make the front strip, you can probably make the cuts yourself using an old school hand saw (a power saw or table saw is required for the front strip).

By the way, for folks who haven't been to IKEA before, here are links to the 2 parts I used:

GORM Shelf

16710_PE100983_S3.jpg

The shelf also includes 4 iron-looking bolts.

GORM Height Extension Post

0090426_PE224335_S3.JPG

• Members

Yeah, the GORM boards really lend themselves well to a clean layout where you can easily hide the cords. Here's the back of the completed pedalboard. It works great for EHX-type pedals where the cables come out the back. BOSS-type pedals work well in the front row where side-mounted cables can go into the gap between the first and second row of wood.

backofboard.jpg

Not sure if this has been asked or not, but what patch cables are you using?

• Members

Where'd you get the velcro?

I bought industrial strength Velcro at a local crafts shop (I think it was Michaels). They had a hobby version and an industrial strength version that cost twice as much. I bought 15 feet for $30, and I still have a lot left over, even after Design Flaw #2 that made me rip all of the hook side Velcro from the bottom of my pedals.

• Members

For the connectors, I bought these ones from Parts Express on Amazon.com:

link-o-ramma
. They're only $1.18 each. Here's a close-up:

21BCMAH0ZYL._SL500_AA250_.jpg

For the wiring I used, I used some 22 gauge Canare GS-4 cabling that I bought in bulk (25 feet). I also ordered this online (lots of vendors to choose from). If you use these thin connectors, you *must* use thinner 24 gauge wiring like the GS-4 or you won't be able to fit the center coil through the small metal ring in the plug.

I bought industrial strength Velcro at a local crafts shop (I think it was Michaels). They had a hobby version and an industrial strength version that cost twice as much. I bought 15 feet for $30, and I still have a lot left over, even after Design Flaw #2 that made me rip all of the hook side Velcro from the bottom of my pedals.

I'd really like to make some custom length couplers out of those, but I have absolutely no experience soldering or wirecutting. Maybe I could get some lessons from a friend or something.

Archived