My Do-It-Yourself IKEA Pedalboard Build Thread

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

FWIW: I started a similar thread over at Ultimate-Guitar. I was immediately attacked by some of the self-appointed thread police over there for failing to consolidate everything into a single post.

Several people were threatening to "report me" for flagrantly violating the dreaded "double post rule".

There are some good folks over there, but the Thread Nazis are a bunch of asses, and today I'd finally had enough of it so I quit the site. You can read about it here -- the name calling starts on Page 2, but it only took like 3 posts before someone got all bent out of shape:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1087837

I don't have time for a-holes on public forums, and Ultimate-Guitar has more than its fair share. Same thing with the ShortScale guitar forum. I left that place, too. Now it's just Harmony Central and TDPRI for me! :thu:

EDIT: Now half the folks in the thread are reporting each other. It's getting ridiculous...but kinda fun to watch now that I'm sitting on the sidelines. :snax:

• Members
hungry for a little Halloween candy.

I gots to find me some black rubber feet for this board! The white-on-orange feet that I'm using remind me of Old School candy corns.

I think there's a seasonal version that uses some black, and that color combo would look MUCH better on this board. I can live with a white power cord, but the white feet must go!

If anyone knows of a brand and/or site on internet where I can get 'em, let me know.

candycornsk.jpg

• Members
I'd really like to make some custom length couplers out of those, but I have absolutely no experience soldering or wirecutting. Maybe I could get some lessons from a friend or something.

Here's a cool YouTube video that shows how to solder these particular connectors. They guy who made this video had some problems because he wasn't using a tool to hold the coupler in place when he soldered, so it kept moving around.

But you'll get some good ideas for how to strip the wire cover, how to deal with the grounding wire, and so on. My technique is a bit different -- I used a very sharp razor blade to carefully cut through each section of the wire, whereas the video suggests just using the soldering iron to burn through the plastic. I think this makes a mess of everything, including the tip of the iron which must be kept clean at all times.

If you get these connectors, just order a few extra ones to practice on. Be sure to get thinner gauge wiring, and be prepared to drill out the center ring just slightly to make even thin gauge wire fit.

Also, I used one of these portable anvil vises from Grizzly and some clip-on heat sink clips to hold everything, and it worked brilliantly. It also works as a giant heat sink which is often required for soldering work.

g7063.jpgsh675.gif

Here's the video.

[YOUTUBE]39fHiTGBXCE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Armchair, want to be a ass back to them? Report Minibrowny for having a inappropriate image as his avatar... I already got banned once for having a copyrighted "Gibson" headstock as my avatar. Changed it. Then, I got banned for posting in a thread that was already reported. Then, I got banned for posting in a thread where someone had posted "Reported for locking" on the 2nd page, which I didn't bother to check. Half the people in the thread got banned... :freak:

• Members
Armchair, want to be a ass back to them? Report Minibrowny for having a inappropriate image as his avatar... I already got banned once for having a copyrighted "Gibson" headstock as my avatar. Changed it. Then, I got banned for posting in a thread that was already reported. Then, I got banned for posting in a thread where someone had posted "Reported for locking" on the 2nd page, which I didn't bother to check. Half the people in the thread got banned...
:freak:

It's hilarious: the numbnuts who were threatening to report me were mostly from Europe, either Sweden or the Netherlands. They got all worked up because I had standalone posts for each picture.

They made no comments initially about the thread itself, just kept saying how the format was "annoying" and "breaking the rules", etc. I fought back at first, and several folks sided with me.

Then, these assholes started making personal attacks, some of them quite crude, at which point, people started reporting them! It was the old line: "Hey, can't you take a joke?" So the Nazis will use Nazi tactics on everyone, but when the tables are turned, then apparently we all miss their subtle humor.

The fact is, almost invariably at UG, someone will think that your thread is either in the wrong place or formatted incorrectly or that you made a double-post or whatever. It's just too freakin' much to keep straight. For cripe's sake: it's a freakin' public internet forum and I don't need to be lectured by Europeans or Thread Nazis or Post Police or whatever, especially over a pedalboard build thread. The guy from Sweden should have been happy that I was shilling for IKEA! :p

• Members

Where'd you get the velcro?

I'd like to know too. I used the outdoor velcro strips from local Lowe's or Home Depot (can't remember which) and they velcro holds WAY too strong. I appreciate that my pedals don't go anywhere, but I can't move them around. As a matter of fact, I just peeled my pedals off my homemade board last week, it took a ton of strength (plus holding the board down with my foot) to detach my pedals, and half the time the velcro came off of the pedal rather than coming apart the way it should.

• Members

Regarding the Velcro I used, unfortunately I've thrown away the packaging and what I have left just says "Velcro". I'm assuming therefore it's Velcro branded stuff.

I bought it at a local arts and crafts store. They had 2 flavors, each in 2 sizes. I got the heavy duty variety, 2 inches wide, and 15 feet long for $30. One of the photos in the build thread above shows the box.

This stuff is perfect. It holds the pedals securely, but you don't need superhuman strength to move things around. Having said that, it's strong enough that I don't feel the need to constantly re-arrange my pedalboard.

Also, the sticky back is VERY strong, but if you screw up (like I did) you can still get this stuff off using a pair of pliers (don't even think about using your fingers).

Keep in mind that when this stuff is fresh out of the box, it holds fast but once you moved the pedals around a bit, it looses just a tad of that initial grip.

• Members
I gots to find me some black rubber feet for this board! The white-on-orange feet that I'm using remind me of Old School candy corns.

I think there's a seasonal version that uses some black, and that color combo would look MUCH better on this board. I can live with a white power cord, but the white feet must go!

If anyone knows of a brand and/or site on internet where I can get 'em, let me know.

candycornsk.jpg

I actually like the white feet. Matches the head/cab well. Now white velcro.... :love: That would be like the limousine of velcro world.

Also, that candy corn soda is FOUL!!!!! Uuugh it makes me sick just thinking about it.

• Members

candy corn is so badass though, mmmmmm

In economics classes, candy corn is always used to describe "The Law of Diminishing Returns".

The first 5 or 10 are really delicious; the next 10 are OK; the 10 after that aren't so good; and the 10 after that taste like {censored}.

-- The Law of Diminishing Returns == eat 40 candy corns and tell me what you think. --

• Members

In economics classes, candy corn is always used to describe
"The Law of Diminishing Returns"

The first 5 or 10 are really delicious; the next 10 are OK; the 10 after that aren't so good; and the 10 after that taste like {censored}.

-- The Law of Diminishing Returns == eat 40 candy corns and tell me what you think. --

hahaha. when i was 10, candy corn followed the neverending rule. i could eat them neverending.

• Members

Many thanks for this great build thread! :thu:
I have the large Gorm shelf (30X20)unpainted that I just put velcro on & slapped pedals on it. Your variation with the front "step" to elevate it allowing room for the power strip is simple & perfect! I may have to toddle over to Ikea again & get those shelf extenders
I found "industrial stength" 2" wide 25 feet velcro at Home Depot (they only had white though) for $26

• Members
Many thanks for this great build thread!
:thu:
I have the large Gorm shelf (30X20)unpainted that I just put velcro on & slapped pedals on it. Your variation with the front "step" to elevate it allowing room for the power strip is simple & perfect! I may have to toddle over to Ikea again & get those shelf extenders

I found "industrial stength" 2" wide 25 feet velcro at Home Depot (they only had white though) for $26

The extenders work great to elevate the back of the pedalboard. Also, when you use the iron bolts along with some Gorilla glue to secure the extender, the joint is very strong. Of course, I wouldn't jump on the pedalboard, but it'll be strong enough if you treat it with respect.

Plus, the pre-drilled holes are perfect for threading plastic tie-downs around your power strip. It's almost as if the good folks in Sweden knew that DIY-guitarists would be re-purposing the Gorm shelves as pedalboards!

• Members

Epic Thread, thanks a lot! I pass an Ikea every time we visit my Girlfriend's father in Canada, and have been planning on stopping, and buying one of each shelf ( at the price, figure I can make a couple or figure which one I need), and making a board for our shared rig. Much like yours, I am painting mine a deep ox blood to match the cover on our Epiphone Valve Jr.

Congrats, it looks awesome!

Archived