Dear DigiTech Rep, My Wish List

• Members

Our market data says completely the opposite. My inclination is to say it will never get reissued, but stranger things have happened here.

The Space Station is a very desirable pedal these days! They exchange hands for about $500 in the UK. None of the boutique pedal builders have really covered that terrain yet and ambient/experimental guitar music seems to be more popular than ever.

I always wanted a Space Station when I was a teenager (having seen a positive review in a British guitar magazine) but the internet wasn't widely available at that time(!) and it wasn't stocked in any of my local shops.

I can see why Digitech would be reluctant to reissue the Space Station but it would be sensible to make the patches available in some form, especially if they were alongside other extreme effects from the Synth Wah and a selection of other effects that could maybe widen the product's appeal (reverse reverb, shimmer, etc).

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Instead of just releasing the Space Station, you do an updated XP-1000. Fix the flaws with the original XP series, box them up into 1 unit, and ship them. That would sell like crazy. Hell, update some of the patches, include all the new Whammy settings, blah blah blah. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

• Members

Digitech multifx without expression pedals:

rp1_1.jpg
digitech-rp5_4742590.jpg
_c262695_image_0.jpg
digitech_rp150.jpg
digitech-rp-55-og11840.jpg
rp-70.jpg
digitech_rp100a.jpg?v=1303883995203
rp-155.jpg

I still have my old Digitech RP-1 and RP-12. They maybe old, but damn, the new stuff from Digitech and others don't come close. The tone is still second to none. Only two complaints I have about them is when you change the battery you can lose all your patches and they don't have anymore support for them ....at all.

• Members

I still have my old Digitech RP-1 and RP-12. They maybe old, but damn, the new stuff from Digitech and others don't come close. The tone is still second to none. Only two complaints I have about them is when you change the battery you can lose all your patches and they don't have anymore support for them ....at all.

That's a common complaint with Digitech's multi effects stuff. The effects and options on the old Digitech GSP2101 and GSP2112 are leagues ahead of the modern GSP1101. The GSP1101 is admittedly better for amp modelling though.

Other companies are guilty of it too though. I think Zoom's 8080 is about a billion times better than anything they currently make.

• Members

That's a common complaint with Digitech's multi effects stuff. The effects and options on the old Digitech GSP2101 and GSP2112 are leagues ahead of the modern GSP1101. The GSP1101 is admittedly better for amp modelling though.

Never had the 2101 or 2112, but have owned different RP units dating back to the RP-1. While there was more flexibility in some of the earlier units which was nice, the current effect quality from a modeling perspective I don't think can be challenged. I mean, try to get a delay to self-oscillate in the older lines like a few will in the modern RP/GSP line. Personally, I don't think anything in a competitive price point gets as close to the real world pedals Digitech models (including modeling the actual controls) as they do. Boss gives them a run for the money, but takes an approach like the older Digitech units typically offering a generic effect with enough parameters to make it sound like specific company's flavor's of that effect. I find it much easier to dial up a Small Stone model than mess with 10 parameters in order to find that flavor. I'm really hoping Digitech applies the "real world controls" modeling to their next gen amp models as well.

• Members

Like Will says, the actual effects quality on the newer stuff is arguably better, but the options tend to be way more basic and limited on the newer units. I believe the GSP1101 has 4 or 5 parameters per effect, where the older 2101 and 2112 would have had upwards of 10 parameters on certain effects, allowing you to dial in a much broader range of sounds and achieve some way more complex textures and tones.

The newer stuff tends to be more geared towards sounding good, but offers less potential to be experimental.

• Members

Like Will says, the actual effects quality on the newer stuff is arguably better, but the options tend to be way more basic and limited on the newer units. I believe the GSP1101 has 4 or 5 parameters per effect, where the older 2101 and 2112 would have had upwards of 10 parameters on certain effects,

This part is true. The 2101 was our most feature-rich product ever.

allowing you to dial in a much broader range of sounds and achieve some way more complex textures and tones.

I totally disagree with this part. We got a lot better at UI design as well as zeroing in on great starting tones. The UI on the 2101 was horrible, absolutely terrible. I love mine to death but it is a programming nightmare. The wahs on the 2101 totally suck, they aren't even passable, same with the Whammy. No tap tempo, no looper, laughable fuzz, the I/O on the 2101 is totally restrictive and a whole host of other flaws.

• Members

I guess it depends what you want from the units, to be honest. As a rack based effects unit I think the older stuff was better. As a preamp, sure, the newer ones are best, the amp modelling on the 1101 is great. But as an ex-rack guy, it wouldn't offer me nearly the amount of deep editing I'd expect on the delays/reverbs/etc side of things.

• Members

I guess it depends what you want from the units, to be honest. As a rack based effects unit I think the older stuff was better. As a preamp, sure, the newer ones are best, the amp modelling on the 1101 is great. But as an ex-rack guy, it wouldn't offer me nearly the amount of deep editing I'd expect on the delays/reverbs/etc side of things.

This is a totally valid criticism and I would love for our next gen rack stuff to be deep as all hell. We'll see where it goes!

• Members

Actually, some of the more bizarre Space Station tones are available in a few Earthquaker Devices pedals, the Rainbow Machine and Sea Machine come to mind. I think if that company can sell 1 Rainbow Machine, Digitech should be able to sell a truck load of a unit containing Space Station based effects. Of course, a truckload may still not be enough to turn a profit for a company Digitech versus the smaller builders.

Yeah, I was going to mention the Rainbow Machine and you can produce some similar sounds with a Magicstomp (and presumably rack units). The Space Station is better in some ways than either though, I think.

• Members

I've written this in a number of "what would your dream pedal be?" threads - I love the Digitech EX7. If there was any setting in which to reissue the space station patches, I think an expanded EX7 (EX14? EX21?) would be great.

Rehouse in whammy4-style enclosure (longer pedal travel), perhaps with bypass and up/down switches

Ditch the distortion (I don't use it, don't particularly like it, and I think most people don't pay it the attention it deserves because of the dirt section)

Savable presets

Keep the current effects

Add in:

More space station patches, especially the dynamic reverse delays

More modulation, especially term with treadle-controlled rate, term with treadle-controlled depth

More whammy modes

Reverb with treadle for decay - infinite at toe down

Steve

• Members

Android functionality for the iStomp would be great for those of us not drinking the Apple kool-aid

The only reason I haven't bought an iStomp is that I do not own the iPad or iPhone or any Apple products

Same with the iPB. Great idea, but I'm not gonna rush out and buy an iPad for it

Does the android platform have any standards for the mini USB output that could be utilized for this purpose?

• Members

I don't give a crap about any of the space station presets besides the warp settings. Slap those in the whammy or EX-7 and you'll make me very happy. The rest of the modes are done better by other units.

Official Digitech XP-1000 in updated enclosure

• Members
The Space Station is a very desirable pedal these days! They exchange hands for about $500 in the UK. None of the boutique pedal builders have really covered that terrain yet and ambient/experimental guitar music seems to be more popular than ever.

I always wanted a Space Station when I was a teenager (having seen a positive review in a British guitar magazine) but the internet wasn't widely available at that time(!) and it wasn't stocked in any of my local shops.

I can see why Digitech would be reluctant to reissue the Space Station but it would be sensible to make the patches available in some form, especially if they were alongside other extreme effects from the Synth Wah and a selection of other effects that could maybe widen the product's appeal (reverse reverb, shimmer, etc).

Just watched a Space Sation auction end for $430 USD. :eek: Digitech should do a secret limited run and list them on ebay. :idea: Cha-ching!!!!!!!

• Members

I for one find the istomp a genius idea. I mean finally leveraging the dummy terminal approach used in software development with a pedal concept is downright thrilling. When I discovered it I ordered one immediately. I tour heavily and my board has been professionally hard-wired into a trailer trash unit which I love. Downside is I don't really have the room (nor desire) on the board to add more pedals. I had room for one stomp size unit. Now I've got an Octaver, a kill switch, a compressor etc. for whatever my needs might be beyond what I'm already using in one pedal housing.

I agree that being able to store multiple pedals at a time on the unit would be great, it's a first gen product of this kind and will more than likely grow in feature with its success. After using it for a few weeks now I do have some small feedback items.

1. If sales should prove the model a success I'm sure the concept of being able to scroll through the stomps may already be in the works, at $150 for the dummy pedal, it would certainly be appreciated if DT offered an upgrade price to the later unit for current istomp users.

2. An LCD screen or simple display would have pushed this concept even further. The label stickers I see as a temp fix for what was probably or potentially an engineering/price point decision. I'd have paid $200.00 to have a display.

3. I don't see the istomp for kids needing their first effects unit - I'm finding most others who haven't seen the concept before in other acts we encounter on the road literally going "I gotta get that now" because all of our touring rigs change album to album and this concept could literally change the load out issues some have bringing additional pedals on the road for certain songs etc.

Sorry for my long rant but it's been sometime since I've been excited over a new guitar product. If you want multi-efx the istomp isn't the unit for you, but it without a doubt has a niche and should succeed.

Wish List: Emulate the POG mini. It only has 3 control knobs and would make a sweet addition. A whammy or super shifter would be sweet as well as a freeze pedal. Wish list and rant ~fin.

• Members

That was me stalling!
:)

EDIT: Posted a different question, but decided it not really worth discussion. That said, very excited about the PGS collaboration. There's a lot of forum hype around the Supernatural already, looks like its going to sell fairly well. Congrats!

Archived