The Doom Room: HCFX Edition

• Replies 42.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sounds good. I used the Pog2 like that for a few noise interludes between songs with my last band. I added in a tiny bit of +2 octave in there though just to make it have a hint of organ tones in there. I need to play around with my El Cap more after hearing this. I also need to build a favorite switch so I can get more out of it.

• Members

that was single head mode, mode A, repeats at ~2 oclock, mix at noon. Time was synced to the trem speed so i dont know exactly where it would be. Tape age at 10/11 oclock, wow and flutter 11/12 oclock. no low end contour, a very small hint of spring verb, no tape crinkle, bias is probably noon.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DunwichAmps

View Post

I could put on more pedals ya know. Might squeeze the Iron Pig in the top right corner, and also an OCD who knows.

there's always room for more.

View Post

Okay so heres the facts. Its similar to the GT120 idea. JFET replacement of tubes using the schematics from those amps. I have a pretty dedicated setup with 4 input modes, Bright, Dark, Jumpered, 2203. Bright input is like a SL/Plexi mix, Dark is a Superbass, Jumpered is both the dark and bright together, 2203 is of course jcm800 stuff. Bright and Dark are mixed like a traiditonal NMV marshall and the 2203 is a completely independent circuit with proper 2203 type component values. Each of the inputs has its own gain knob, there is a 3 band EQ with same specs as any classic marshall, and a prephase inverter master volume. No presence control as I already have 8 controls on this bitch. It is run off a 9V supply but converts that to bipolar 18V for lots of headroom and better feel on the JFETs. FAC OFF size enclosure.

I love it when you talk dirty icon_lol.gif

In other news, I foolishly mentioned to my bassist that I'd like to have an Elements. So he found one on TB and sent me the dudes paypal info. Elements incoming facepalm.gif

I'm hoping this can replace what I use the gt-10 for and I can just use that thing for the wierder effects.

Our band might not be the best ever but dammit we're gonna have sick toanz

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AxAxSxS

View Post

there's always room for more.

I love it when you talk dirty icon_lol.gif

In other news, I foolishly mentioned to my bassist that I'd like to have an Elements. So he found one on TB and sent me the dudes paypal info. Elements incoming facepalm.gif

I'm hoping this can replace what I use the gt-10 for and I can just use that thing for the wierder effects.

woah so you bought Ron's elements, Tony mentioned it in TB Doom Room

• Members

yeah it'll have a nice home where it will be cherished and fed daily doses of the heavy. Tony's boards looking very badass too, the bluebeard sounds {censored}ing great and fits right into our mix. It's crazy how similar our thoughts on how {censored} should sound are.

So I'm having a beer thinking about what to sell and listening to some bongripper thumb.gif

Edit to say: the only thing that sucks right now is that the earthquake sensurround cab I want to put together will be on hold unless I can sell some {censored}. I gotta fund some speakers. I'm needing an efficient 18 and also need a couple of 12's to go in the fender cab I have. I'm thinking one of the 4x12's needs to go, and a couple guitars.

• Members

View Post

a little direct in diddy I just did using El Cap, Flint, POG2, Elements, and Wah

https://soundcloud.com/dunwichamps/f...ment-and-pog-2

Sounds awesome man.

I never messed around with a POG it always looked too complicated to me, with all the nobs, buttons etc...but i think i may have to have a look into it

On another note...re-did my pedalboard...i'm really loving stacking up the Bass Big Muff with the Rat...

8344659551_33dbf7f7b1_z.jpg

photo(3) by samzadgan, on Flickr

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BoomB

View Post

bass big muff + rat + natural or dirty channel (rocker 30)?

Natural channel...on the Rocker 30. I did try it on the dirty channel...but it was just way too much! Although will say that these pedals are really noisy, if it wasnt for the noise gate at the beginning of the chain, i wouldn't be stacking these up at all.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AxAxSxS

View Post

View Post

woah so you bought Ron's elements, Tony mentioned it in TB Doom Room

I just had one of those epiphany moments, when your hear about something or someone on two different boards from two different people and then realize that they are talking about each other and that you know both of them...... facepalm.gif It's a good thing i got strong coffee this morning. drinking-coffee-smiley.gif

• Members

Do you guys know of a single button footswitch that will work for a 5150? My other guitarist lost the two button switch that came with his a long time ago and my single switch that I use with my Soldano won't work for it. He could go buy another 2 button one but would like a single to save pedalboard space.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by conky

View Post

It'll work with a regular instrument cable? I tried reversing the wiring on a spare single switch that I had and it didn't work.

I believe that's what I used, I might still have it sitting around somewhere. If i do I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping. I know that I also used a fender 2 button footswitch for a while, they are usually dirt cheap used and you could get one of those and rehouse it in a small hammond enclosure, its just two footswitches and wires.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient

View Post

I believe that's what I used, I might still have it sitting around somewhere. If i do I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping. I know that I also used a fender 2 button footswitch for a while, they are usually dirt cheap used and you could get one of those and rehouse it in a small hammond enclosure, its just two footswitches and wires.

If you've got the Boss switch I'll buy it off of you for sure.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DeathIVIonkey

View Post

5b4ff268560611e2b52d22000a9f189b_6.jpg

I just got this cheap little Klon Buffer circuit jobby. I had never actually used a buffer on my pedal board... everything is true bypass. I have to say, the difference is pretty awesome. My guitar has more oomf an sounds way less muffled and distant. Maybe i needed a buffer for a while? weird.

Buffers are essential for anyone with a big board. It's not just high-end you lose, it's dynamics and interaction as well. Treble you can bring back easily, but not dynamics. My current buffer is not doing enough in that field, even with a relatively low amount of pedals (compared to some) and short-ish cables. So I'm hoping to try out the Fryette Valvulator, a tube buffer, or a TheGigRig Z Cable. It functions as a clone of a guitar pickup signal, thus mimicking the variable pairing of a straight signal from guitar to amp. Both the Fryette and TheGigRig are expensive, though, so it'll be a future purchase.

• Members

I think I may have just blown one of my speakers in my cab. I took the handle off the side of the cab and when I reached my hand in there and lightly touched the brown part of the speaker that is next to the magnet it stopped. The sound is kinda raspy and sounds like a really faint background distortion. Don't really notice it on heavy gain, but it is annoying as {censored} on cleans. The speaker is a 75 watt Weber Silver Bell. I'm guessing that all it needs is reconing maybe?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by conky

View Post

Do you guys know of a single button footswitch that will work for a 5150? My other guitarist lost the two button switch that came with his a long time ago and my single switch that I use with my Soldano won't work for it. He could go buy another 2 button one but would like a single to save pedalboard space.

i made one when i had a 5150. it required a trs cable instead of a regular instrument cable. if you're not using or switching the effects loop, you can just leave that off. but the channel switch is controlled by the ring, not the tip, which is why a regular cable won't work (unless you grit your teeth just right and plug it kind of halfway in, which i actually did for years). i just imitated the wiring for a regular single button footswitch, but used a trs jack and wired the switch to the ring and left the tip open. then you can use a trs cable and it'll work fine. you can even just wire trs plugs onto a normal instrument cable and it'll work fine too, just wire the hot to the ring and leave the tip alone. it was super easy and took only a few minutes to make. it was one of my first diy gear projects actually and it functioned great for years.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by samzadgan

View Post

.i'm really loving stacking up the Bass Big Muff

That Bass Muff is one of the most underrated fuzz pedals out there. At the price everybody should have one.

And hay Conky, why won't your Soldano footswitch work with you 5150? I know nothing of 5150's but that strikes me weird.

Archived