The Doom Room: HCFX Edition

• Replies 42.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by t-rey

View Post

So I did a little fuzz comparison this afternoon. Totally half assed since I don't change any settings and pretty much only play one Shrinebuilder riff. Still thought I would post it so people can hear the differences.

The order is Dream Crusher, Pharaoh, Fix'd Fuzz (Fuzz 1, Tone, Boost), Musket, Dirt Transmitter.

FUZZZZZZZZZZ

Rig was SG Classic, Blackstar HT-5, 2x12 with v30ish speakers.

Here's the board showing how everything was set:

F6B1C5EB-E647-4113-AA16-85AE1FBA4847-860

That's really cool man...for me, the Pharaoh kills it!

but you didn't do the Mastortion?? how do you like that pedal?

• Members

View Post

So I did a little fuzz comparison this afternoon. Totally half assed since I don't change any settings and pretty much only play one Shrinebuilder riff. Still thought I would post it so people can hear the differences.

The order is Dream Crusher, Pharaoh, Fix'd Fuzz (Fuzz 1, Tone, Boost), Musket, Dirt Transmitter.

FUZZZZZZZZZZ

We EQ our pharaohs almost identically.wave.gif

• Members

so....a friend of mine is going to the US in a few weeks and i'm going to get her to bring back a couple of pedals for me...but i don't know what to go for...the problem is, there are no guitar shops in which i can try out any of the BAT pedals...

the ones i have in mind are:

Pharaoh

Sarcophagos

Ritual

Is there something on the Earthquaker Devices range that I should definitely get? I like the Monarch, although its not really a fuzz pedal.

The deal is, if I get the Sarcaphagos, then that's it...that's my budget gone...if i get anything else, i could stretch to buying 2 pedals (1 BAT and 1 EQD maybe)

Is there something else anyone recommends? I currently only have a Big Muff and a Bass Big Muff (which i really like) and Dirty Rat that i set very close to Fuzz...so my pedal board is pretty limited as far as Fuzz tones go.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DeathIVIonkey

View Post

was thinking the same thing. almost exactly the same here.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWallOfSleep

View Post

If you're talking about the old Boss sized blue one I've had a DL10 on and off my board for years. It does really sound better than a lot of other delays I've tried. Really warm. There's a tiny screw inside that you can see from the battery compartment that controls the max feedback setting. It never really goes crazy but you can up it a little bit.

that's the one.

thanks about the tip, i'll check that out.

love.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by samzadgan

View Post

so....a friend of mine is going to the US in a few weeks and i'm going to get her to bring back a couple of pedals for me...but i don't know what to go for...the problem is, there are no guitar shops in which i can try out any of the BAT pedals...

Pharaoh

Sarcophagos

Ritual

I've never tested the others, but the Pharaoh is a winner...if you don't have any fuzz, that's a perfect beginning smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by emptyparadigm

View Post

This phaser totally satisfied my GAS. And as iamthearm will vouch, it's richer than the Whetstone.

Maxon-PH350-Rotary-Phaser.jpg

Really want to try this pedal. After hearing their analog delay in person I was pleased with the quality of that pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by misterstomach

View Post

i don't know if you saw my post earlier, but ended up listening to that whole galaxicon album earlier today and it is {censored}ing awesome. are you still doing that band long distance?

{censored}ing this. Every time I put that album I get super {censored}ing pumped. It's a treat showing people Galaxicon for the first time.

View Post

FUZZZZZZZZZZ

Always forget you have the Mastortion. I need to try that pedal. Also your board is ridicuously nice and has almost enough dirt. wink.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by .homewrecker.

View Post

The DT surprised me, I liked that one a lot.

It's an amazingly good fuzz. Can do a lot of splatty stuff without being noisy, but can also cop alot of 'regular' fuzz face sounds. Very, very happy with that purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by DunwichAmps

View Post

{censored} Overdrive, indeed. Every clip I hear makes me want one.

View Post

737926_10151617927904552_1521852541_o.jp

love.gif

View Post

That's really cool man...for me, the Pharaoh kills it!

but you didn't do the Mastortion?? how do you like that pedal?

I generally don't like the Mastortion into a clean amp. I use it to boost a dirty amp and it works really well in that way. Here is the only clip I have of the Mastortion - SG Classic, Blackstar HT5 dirty channel, Celestion 75s.

Mastortion Clip

Well, that's not entirely true. As Pelliot suggested, running the Pharaoh on low, then hitting it with the Mastortion brings the heavies. But I like the Pharaoh set how it is, and I'm not much on stacking dirt, so I don't use them like that very often.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathIVIonkey

View Post

We are obviously men of refined taste.

Quote Originally Posted by crohny

View Post

Always forget you have the Mastortion. I need to try that pedal. Also your board is ridicuously nice and has almost enough dirt. wink.gif

Never enough - too many I want to try out. And you would probably dig the Mastortion hitting a dirty amp. I imagine you could cause some sort of natural disaster if you crank the Marshall then hit it with the Mastortion.

• Members

View Post

I generally don't like the Mastortion into a clean amp. I use it to boost a dirty amp and it works really well in that way. Here is the only clip I have of the Mastortion - SG Classic, Blackstar HT5 dirty channel, Celestion 75s.

Mastortion Clip

Really nice! Sounds like I can (more or less) dig it with a RAT smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by conky

View Post

I got bit by the phaser bug today. I'm running a Phase 45 clone as well as my Small Stone now. I forgot how awesome the Phase 45 sounds. love.gif

I try and try different phasers be they fancy and boutique or simple and classic and I almost always end up back with a phase 90. Although everything I've ever heard from a phase 45 makes me think I'll like it even more. I think I'll build one of the kits.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Van_Muddlestein

View Post

I try and try different phasers be they fancy and boutique or simple and classic and I almost always end up back with a phase 90. Although everything I've ever heard from a phase 45 makes me think I'll like it even more. I think I'll build one of the kits.

I built the kit from GGG. It was pretty cheap and easy as my first build. I got the catalinbread guys to help me get the led to pulse with the rate too. I like it, but it's kind of subtle with higher gain dirt. Thats what the Small Stone is for though. I've got it set up for a longer sweep that sounds great with lots of dirt and the Phase 45 is set for a fast rate that sounds great on cleans (Or as clean as my amp will be. I usually have it running at 7 or higher on my pre).

• Members

View Post

Pharaoh

Sarcophagos

Ritual

Is there something on the Earthquaker Devices range that I should definitely get? I like the Monarch, although its not really a fuzz pedal.

The deal is, if I get the Sarcaphagos, then that's it...that's my budget gone...if i get anything else, i could stretch to buying 2 pedals (1 BAT and 1 EQD maybe)

Is there something else anyone recommends? I currently only have a Big Muff and a Bass Big Muff (which i really like) and Dirty Rat that i set very close to Fuzz...so my pedal board is pretty limited as far as Fuzz tones go.

Maybe you could pick up a Wren and Cuff for the Big Muff tones and an EQD Talons for overdrive/distortion.

View Post

737926_10151617927904552_1521852541_o.jp

{censored}ing ace. But you only have three dirt pedals. tongue.gif

• Members

View Post

Pharaoh

Sarcophagos

Ritual

The pharaoh land the revelation are my favorite of the BAT stuff right now, although they are all really good. The pharaoh is just one of those pedals everyone should have though. My favorite of the EQD line, and one of my favorite fuzzes in general, is the hoof. That thing sounds so amazing. So {censored}ing heavy and so much volume. I am surprised not to see it on more doom boards. You would do well to try one out.

• Members

Holy {censored} Trey! I was just listening to your soundcloud of Pharaoh vs Musket and at 2:30 you play the main riff from our tune Lion Storm. That's rad!

And I've been saving my pennies (because that's all they give me!) and I finally sold some dumb crap last night and I now have enough money in hand to not feel like an asshat asking particulars about a metal fab shop doing my work. The Ape Blaster is looming on the horizon!

Also I'd like to third the Galaxicon love. {censored} is HOT

Lastly I have total bassboner GAS because of Riffer's Vantage double-p. My god this axe!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBoxman

View Post

Whose OTR is actually finished and leaving the shop in 25 minutes?

{censored}ing finally. hope everything runs smooth this time.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish

View Post

Maybe you could pick up a Wren and Cuff for the Big Muff tones and an EQD Talons for overdrive/distortion.

{censored}ing ace. But you only have three dirt pedals. tongue.gif

and only one of them is fuzz cop.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by conky

View Post

I built the kit from GGG. It was pretty cheap and easy as my first build. I got the catalinbread guys to help me get the led to pulse with the rate too. I like it, but it's kind of subtle with higher gain dirt. Thats what the Small Stone is for though. I've got it set up for a longer sweep that sounds great with lots of dirt and the Phase 45 is set for a fast rate that sounds great on cleans (Or as clean as my amp will be. I usually have it running at 7 or higher on my pre).

yeah I tend to prefer the phase 90 at like 1 o'clock ish and the phase 45 is even more subtle even at those kinds of speeds which sounds awesome to me. Also yeah, I'd just build the GGG kit. I think I've decided that other than a loop-master pedal I need and a whammy pedal I'm probably going to build the rest of my pedals.

I want a green ringer, 2 fuzzes of some sort(undecided there) a WHRL, a parked wah, and an octave pedal which I'll likely have to go through BYOC to get the kit for which is fine.

Archived