The Doom Room: HCFX Edition

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DunwichAmps

View Post

Okay so heres the facts. Its similar to the GT120 idea. JFET replacement of tubes using the schematics from those amps. I have a pretty dedicated setup with 4 input modes, Bright, Dark, Jumpered, 2203. Bright input is like a SL/Plexi mix, Dark is a Superbass, Jumpered is both the dark and bright together, 2203 is of course jcm800 stuff. Bright and Dark are mixed like a traiditonal NMV marshall and the 2203 is a completely independent circuit with proper 2203 type component values. Each of the inputs has its own gain knob, there is a 3 band EQ with same specs as any classic marshall, and a prephase inverter master volume. No presence control as I already have 8 controls on this bitch. It is run off a 9V supply but converts that to bipolar 18V for lots of headroom and better feel on the JFETs. FAC OFF size enclosure.

love.gif

• Replies 42.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

View Post

Okay so heres the facts. Its similar to the GT120 idea. JFET replacement of tubes using the schematics from those amps. I have a pretty dedicated setup with 4 input modes, Bright, Dark, Jumpered, 2203. Bright input is like a SL/Plexi mix, Dark is a Superbass, Jumpered is both the dark and bright together, 2203 is of course jcm800 stuff. Bright and Dark are mixed like a traiditonal NMV marshall and the 2203 is a completely independent circuit with proper 2203 type component values. Each of the inputs has its own gain knob, there is a 3 band EQ with same specs as any classic marshall, and a prephase inverter master volume. No presence control as I already have 8 controls on this bitch. It is run off a 9V supply but converts that to bipolar 18V for lots of headroom and better feel on the JFETs. FAC OFF size enclosure.

And this is a damn PEDAL?

• Members

View Post

And this is a damn PEDAL?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BoomB

View Post

Really nice! Sounds like I can (more or less) dig it with a RAT smile.gif

Thanks. And now I want a RAT even more Totally_jammin_out.gif

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBoxman

View Post

Whose OTR is actually finished and leaving the shop in 25 minutes?

Glad it's finally done!

Quote Originally Posted by D-Day

View Post

Holy {censored} Trey! I was just listening to your soundcloud of Pharaoh vs Musket and at 2:30 you play the main riff from our tune Lion Storm. That's rad!

And I've been saving my pennies (because that's all they give me!) and I finally sold some dumb crap last night and I now have enough money in hand to not feel like an asshat asking particulars about a metal fab shop doing my work. The Ape Blaster is looming on the horizon!

Also I'd like to third the Galaxicon love. {censored} is HOT

Lastly I have total bassboner GAS because of Riffer's Vantage double-p. My god this axe!

Yeah man, that riff is too badass not to play on a fuzz clip thumb.gif

And keep us posted on the Ape Blaster progress.

View Post

Something about RAT + OCD is killer. In 2013 I will be putting out 4 new pedals, Bass OCD, Murder Two (2203 + SB/SL JFET pedal), GT120 Overdrive (GT120 JFET pedal), and Volt Thrower (36V Rat)

Well now, all of those sound like things I potentially need.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BoomB

View Post

Really nice! Sounds like I can (more or less) dig it with a RAT smile.gif

Thanks. And now I want a RAT even more Totally_jammin_out.gif

View Post

Whose OTR is actually finished and leaving the shop in 25 minutes?

Glad it's finally done!

Quote Originally Posted by D-Day

View Post

Holy {censored} Trey! I was just listening to your soundcloud of Pharaoh vs Musket and at 2:30 you play the main riff from our tune Lion Storm. That's rad!

And I've been saving my pennies (because that's all they give me!) and I finally sold some dumb crap last night and I now have enough money in hand to not feel like an asshat asking particulars about a metal fab shop doing my work. The Ape Blaster is looming on the horizon!

Also I'd like to third the Galaxicon love. {censored} is HOT

Lastly I have total bassboner GAS because of Riffer's Vantage double-p. My god this axe!

Yeah man, that riff is too badass not to play on a fuzz clip thumb.gif

And keep us posted on the Ape Blaster progress.

View Post

Something about RAT + OCD is killer. In 2013 I will be putting out 4 new pedals, Bass OCD, Murder Two (2203 + SB/SL JFET pedal), GT120 Overdrive (GT120 JFET pedal), and Volt Thrower (36V Rat)

Well now, all of those sound like things I potentially need.

• Members

View Post

It's back, it's huge, it's louder than before. Jeff from Matamp is a **** and an idiot and can't build amps. Stuart Anstis my tech rebuilt the whole power amp from schematics of a 70's PICS only model. Nearly all the components Jeff charged me for were cheap, nasty and not working. The tube sockets were LOOSE and causing arcing, all the caps were blown, and dozens of minor components were {censored}ed AFTER he fixed it. Tit.

That's a bit harsh, IMO. Was it Jeff that fixed the amp or was it someone else there, because Jeff is the woodworker? The problem I find with Matamp is the way they like to take on any work, even if they can't handle it. I felt that first-hand, just like you did, but I wouldn't call them tits for it. They still build some great products at reasonable prices. And they always implore that they will look after you if their service is not up to scratch. Jeff is a bit of a pushy bloke at times, but he means well.

View Post

Sounds fantastic already. I'm really keen on this project.

Could I make a personal request? Don't use the FAC OFF enclosure. I hate that box with my pedalboard. Either sideways, which is the more common use (Blackout Effectors Whetstone), or the upright way (Death By Audio) don't fit on my board properly. I know they are OK with Pedaltrain sizes, but they suck with mine. cry.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish

View Post

That's a bit harsh, IMO. Was it Jeff that fixed the amp or was it someone else there, because Jeff is the work-worker? The problem I find with Matamp is the way they like to take on any work, even if they can't handle it. I felt that first-hand, just like you did, but I wouldn't call them tits for it. They still build some great products at reasonable prices. And they always implore that they will look after you if their service is not up to scratch. Jeff is a bit of a pushy bloke at times, but he means well.

Sounds fantastic already. I'm really keen on this project.

Could I make a personal request? Don't use the FAC OFF enclosure. I hate that box with my pedalboard. Either sideways, which is the more common use (Blackout Effectors Whetstone), or the upright way (Death By Audio) don't fit on my board properly. I know they are OK with Pedaltrain sizes, but they suck with mine. cry.gif

i obviously can't speak for mr dunwich, but i would guess based on the description that it is going to require a pretty huge box to house all that. not sure there's many other options besides the FAC off box.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish

View Post

A horizontal 1790NS would be great for me. I have the Blackout Effectors Crystal Dagger in that format and it's very manageable.

I feel really {censored}ing mean for saying that. facepalm.gif

im not offended, enclosure size is something people ask about often. FO was big. I could do that in a 1590BB nowadays if need be.

• Members

5b4ff268560611e2b52d22000a9f189b_6.jpg

I just got this cheap little Klon Buffer circuit jobby. I had never actually used a buffer on my pedal board... everything is true bypass. I have to say, the difference is pretty awesome. My guitar has more oomf an sounds way less muffled and distant. Maybe i needed a buffer for a while? weird.

• Members

View Post

a little direct in diddy I just did using El Cap, Flint, POG2, Elements, and Wah

https://soundcloud.com/dunwichamps/f...ment-and-pog-2

Awesome {censored}. Makes me want a Flint...and an Elements....and a POG.

Random question - what's the best way to ship to Canada? I have a potential buyer for my attenuator but they are in Canada. Priority flat rate international seems really expensive since I would have to use a 'medium' sized box according to them. Can you track, insure, or confirm delivery on International Parcel?

Archived