The Ultimate Monsterpiece Appreciation Thread!

HMCMedic

• Members

I have been asked by a few people about the "SS" from the Scratchy Snatch....

Nope, has nothing to do with the nazis. It's more like I was a kid in the 1970's when a certain band called KISS was very popular (check out their logo sometime biggrin.gif )

I just think it looks cool this way. And it stands for SCRATCHY SNATCH, not something else. Sorry if some choose to see it in a more sinister light... I don't. I am not out to offend anyone, just make awesome sounding fuzz pedals.

Peace cool.gif

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by deeohgee

View Post

Recently scored my first Monsterpiece in a trade. Its a 2009 Classic/MKII.

The Classic is easily the best Ge Fuzz Face I've played.

THe MKIII is harder work, like my Tele more than my Strat, always sounds thin and nasty (in a good way) but I can't get the fatter tone I was expecting.

Beautiful workmanship too.

Thank you for the kind words smile.gif

You will notice that on YOUR particular MKIII circuit, some of the capacitors are socketed in addition to the transistors. Experiment with different values for the capacitor that is just to the right hand side of the 3 transistors until you get the overall flavor you are looking for. Larger values will produce a more bottom heavy tone cool.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by deeohgee

View Post

Recently scored my first Monsterpiece in a trade. Its a 2009 Classic/MKII.

The Classic is easily the best Ge Fuzz Face I've played.

THe MKIII is harder work, like my Tele more than my Strat, always sounds thin and nasty (in a good way) but I can't get the fatter tone I was expecting.

Beautiful workmanship too.

1255b9f.jpgdcd9jt.jpg

Aww, I miss that guy! The top knobs were added (by Richard) for transistor bias so you can really play with those and the input bias to alter the tone, if you're looking to fatten it up. Definitely a ton of cool tones you can get from that, plus oscillation out of the MKIII side if you want it.

Still loving my SS!

• Members

I'm still appreciating my PNP!

I really love it on my Blackstar dirt channel, more than on the clean channel.

I really impressed my bandmates with some infinite sustained notes. Then, I looped the sustains in my SMM/H and built a whole wall of synths with it.

Thanks Richard!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by duderanimous

View Post

Thank you for the kind words smile.gif

You will notice that on YOUR particular MKIII circuit, some of the capacitors are socketed in addition to the transistors. Experiment with different values for the capacitor that is just to the right hand side of the 3 transistors until you get the overall flavor you are looking for. Larger values will produce a more bottom heavy tone cool.gif

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I have zero electronics know-how.

The capacitor has

F 8 (or 6)

103 J printed on it I think, what kind do I need for a higher value?

Its pretty snugly socketed, is it safe to lovingly yank it out?

Did I mention that the Classic is totally awesome?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

sometimes my NPN will self oscillate, sounds great and I can change the pitch with the bias knob and the fuzz knob will effect the oscillation as well. it only does it sometimes and I can't get it to do it all the time. anyone else experiencing this? Richard is there a mod that can be done to make it oscillate at the flick of a switch? I'd love to do it if possible.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by duderanimous

View Post

Yes... 2011 will be Fuzztacular... it's a new year, and a new beginning in many ways biggrin.gif

I should have a new school Monsterpiece Ge Fuzz demo up in the next 24 hours or so... at work at my day job right now, otherwise it would be up in about 24 minutes HA!

Richard, any thoughts on the oscillating NPN I described in post #2935?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reauchambeau

View Post

Richard, any thoughts on the oscillating NPN I described in post #2935?

Oh sorry... missed that. Would you possibly be able to (or at least try to) record a short demo (either vid or sound) and send it to me?

This way I would know exactly what you mean when you say it is oscillating, and whether I can make that a switchable feature for you. I'm sure I can, just need to hear it first biggrin.gif

• Members

I'm not really set up to record, and I can't get it to do it on command, it just happens sometimes.

if you've ever hear an analog delay or fuzz go into self oscillation, that's what it sounds like. it's happened a couple times out of the blue, if I max the fuzz knob, near the end of it's travel it kind of stops and starts the oscillation.

faulty pot maybe? anyway it's a really cool effect and having a momentary footswitch that could cut it in and out would be outragously cool.

Archived