The Ultimate Monsterpiece Appreciation Thread!

HMCMedic

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

it's a battery on/off switch. I put them standard on all of my pedals. helpful for the pedal board guys who use batteries and don't like to have to unplug from the input jack cool.gif

It's called the PUMA as my tribute to Lance Berkman (aka - the Big Puma). I'm a huge baseball fan... specifically the Cardinals

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I haven't been here in a loooooong time... just wanted to put a shout out and give an update on my '09 (i think) NPN. After finally getting a truly quality amp. I had a Blues Jr., AC4tv, and a Marshall C5. Sold them all and got a Phaez SIBLY. This amp caused me to sell over half the pedals I had on my board.... guess what? The MP NPN stayed! My chain now is wah>tuner>fuzz>carbon copy>amp. The amp sounds awesome straight in, but I use the NPN to give it a mild boost and the tone is incredible!! I pretty much leave it on all the time and control the level with dynamics and guitar volume. Not to mention this is by far my favorite more-fuzzy tones you can dial in. Thanks Richard wave.gif

• Members

me too! also really like those newer Monsterpiece box designs, just look at that smaller GE, it still has all the same functionality, with the voice switch now being a toggle.

but really, they sound even better than they look!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Just got an NPN 3 knob in a trade, really liking it! Curious though, the fuzz only engages hard around 2 or 3 oclock. It does depend on the bias knob position but goes from very light fuzz to thick meaty stuff very quickly.

Am I not doing it right?

I love it when it gets going, just trying to figure it all out.

Thaaaaaaanks

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by WildBilly

View Post

Just got an NPN 3 knob in a trade, really liking it! Curious though, the fuzz only engages hard around 2 or 3 oclock. It does depend on the bias knob position but goes from very light fuzz to thick meaty stuff very quickly.

Am I not doing it right?

I love it when it gets going, just trying to figure it all out.

Thaaaaaaanks

Had an NPN for years. I miss it frown.gif

Bias all the way to the left (counter clockwise) gets you the thickest, fuzziest tones.

As for the fuzz knob, around 2 o'clock is when you get the really saturated fuzz. Most people tend to run fuzz faces with the fuzz cranked to get that full sound and then just use their guitar's volume to ease up. That's how I always did it with the Monsterpiece.

Yours sounds like it's working fine.

• Members

I need to play with it some more I was only able to get it going for a few minutes and had to leave.

It seemed like it would only get fuzzy when bias was all the way left anything past 11 o'clock and it would sound more like a light OD.

I will try some more, thanks fellers

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hard to believe that in my 20th year playing I just got my first fuzz pedal! I recently acquired a Monsterpiece HB, which Richard has said is basically a PNP (HB was for "hybrid"). It has a tone toggle switch on the side of the pedal rather than a switch on top like the current ones. But it does have the Transistor and Input bias knobs.

It's all that I hoped it would be. I'm playing humbuckers through a Supro Comet 5W, and it sounds amazing with this amp. It does just what it claims to do on the Prymaxe site: "near clean boost, to gritty overdrive, to crunchy distortion, to all out fuzz mayhem." I'm really glad I picked up one of these that has the bias knobs--it's definitely where the versatility lies.

One thing I was a bit nervous about was using it with my wah pedal. Often with the humbuckers, I'll just engage the wah with the toe down to thin the tone a bit, making it a little more like single-coils (also has always seemed to be a good path toward a Page tone). I've got a Vox V847 (battery only) that I've modded to more vintage spec according to the Castledine website recommendations and some other resources. It's true bypass, but has no fuzz-friendly buffer. Reading all the fuzz+wah threads on various forums I assumed I would need a buffer, but I am thrilled to report that these guys are very friendly with one another. I've got my wah first, then fuzz, and I am not hearing anything objectionable--it's business as usual. Maybe it has something to do with where I've got the bias knobs, but they're both at about 10:00 or 11:00, which seemed just right for the classic FuzzFace tones I've heard. But yeah, toe down, throughout the sweep, etc, no issues whatsoever. Rolling off the guitar volume is still effective--I can get a beautiful sort of "Castles Made of Sand" thing that I couldn't get before.

The tone toggle is such a great idea. For humbuckers, the brighter/treble setting seems to be where it's at. A strat might be in my future, and I imagine it will get along perfectly with the full/bass setting.

So thank you Richard for an awesome, wah-friendly, versatile (but still classic sounding) fuzz! I know the NPN gets rave reviews and a lot of attention, but this hybrid is totally doing it for me.

Archived