FLANGER HOAX LOUNGE (the ultimate)

puretube

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent'd

View Post

when going mono; Blend out, stereo direct and effect out for lovely spaciousness love.gif

sick. this seems like a pedal that needs hours of tinkering to get the stuff... i'm planning on using it as backgroud chaos, but i want it to be kinda on the fringe, you know? i'm looking for noise in the far back, but burried kinda deep, you know? for ambience. just backround sound that, at times, over compliments song.. are you picking up what i am putting down?

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by The Villano Dude

View Post

Alesis Smashup scored. Can't wait to receive it and mess with it next to the FH.

I'm excited to see what you.think! Pump setting is awesome.with this. Don't use the look.ahead or whatever it is button. Sizzle is good. PM me w questions. Nice.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by coloringpad

View Post

I'm excited to see what you.think! Pump setting is awesome.with this. Don't use the look.ahead or whatever it is button. Sizzle is good. PM me w questions. Nice.

keep on showing us the way, coloringpad. i'd love how to push the hoax to where it can go. thanks for the input so far. smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by The Villano Dude

View Post

Thanks for the tip Texas Noise Factory. I bought it used on GC and they stiffed me on one. It's the second time that has happened. frown.gif

That's a bummer. I'd call them up and ask them to send you one unless it was described to have no adapter in the ad. GC's usually got a few adapters laying around anyway...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by coloringpad View Post
OK.

I am now a member of the Flanger Hoax lounge.

I read the whole thread. As with many here, the first day you spend coaxing sounds from it only to realize the drop in volume post-effect makes the effect less pronounced. It can be disappointing.

And in reading about line boosting post-effect, I agree this is what the pedal needs to get those high frequency radio tuning sounds to sing: but a booster only does half the job. What do you do about the insane volume peaks?

After taking my FH and plugging it into nearly everything, I have a solution that is both cheap and twice as effective. This thing needs a compressor/limiter that pumps and reacts to everything in extremes. The resonant bass that will blow your ears out needs to be squashed and the high frequencies, especially the amazing ones that occur when no signal is present, need to be raised. The Alesis Smashup is the least respected of the Modfx series, and rightly so. Most reviews say it does nothing, and to most signals, they'd be right. But with the settings set for FAST ATTACK, SLOW RELEASE and the mod button set to PUMP, this thing slays. I boosted the volume with a line booster, a mixer, three pedals with volume IN knobs, and nothing touched it. You could run stereo in/out or mono or mono/split to stereo. They're 20-30 bucks. Any compressor I'm sure would work, provided it can be set to boost/squash to extremes. Just sharing.

I bought this because I couldn't resist the radio frequency type stuff I was hearing in the demos. And with the compressor, I hear the littlest stuff loud and clear.

This is a very sexy machine.

Have to post picks of what it's paired with: meant to be! Can't believe how it nestled in so nicely. Suspense...

Going back out to play. Will be trying settings you guys have posted. Thanks!
I finally got around to plugging the ModFX Smashup and I can't seem to get rid of some white noise. Also, the LED seems to turn on when it's bypassed and off when the effect is on. Is this normal or did I land a lemon? confused.gif

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Did a quick video of the Hoax and the Ravish for fun:

Space whale fart setting:
Blend: 10:00-12:00
Feedback switch: Wet
Amount: Max
Modulation: 180 Degrees
Response: LIN
Rate: 10:00-1:00
Delay Mode: 4
Invert Switch: up