FLANGER HOAX LOUNGE (the ultimate)

puretube

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

it really is. it only sounds good when i get the flanger hoax in a kind of sparse/sporatic oscillation that the rainbow machine can then send off in different directions. my midiverb shows up this week. i'm never leaving my apartment

• Members

it really is. it only sounds good when i get the flanger hoax in a kind of sparse/sporatic oscillation that the rainbow machine can then send off in different directions. my midiverb shows up this week. i'm never leaving my apartment

The midiverb is so awesome. I want another. It's just a pain in the dick building it into a pedalboard setup.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

OK.

I am now a member of the Flanger Hoax lounge.

I read the whole thread. As with many here, the first day you spend coaxing sounds from it only to realize the drop in volume post-effect makes the effect less pronounced. It can be disappointing.

And in reading about line boosting post-effect, I agree this is what the pedal needs to get those high frequency radio tuning sounds to sing: but a booster only does half the job. What do you do about the insane volume peaks?

After taking my FH and plugging it into nearly everything, I have a solution that is both cheap and twice as effective. This thing needs a compressor/limiter that pumps and reacts to everything in extremes. The resonant bass that will blow your ears out needs to be squashed and the high frequencies, especially the amazing ones that occur when no signal is present, need to be raised. The Alesis Smashup is the least respected of the Modfx series, and rightly so. Most reviews say it does nothing, and to most signals, they'd be right. But with the settings set for FAST ATTACK, SLOW RELEASE and the mod button set to PUMP, this thing slays. I boosted the volume with a line booster, a mixer, three pedals with volume IN knobs, and nothing touched it. You could run stereo in/out or mono or mono/split to stereo. They're 20-30 bucks. Any compressor I'm sure would work, provided it can be set to boost/squash to extremes. Just sharing.

I bought this because I couldn't resist the radio frequency type stuff I was hearing in the demos. And with the compressor, I hear the littlest stuff loud and clear.

This is a very sexy machine.

Have to post picks of what it's paired with: meant to be! Can't believe how it nestled in so nicely. Suspense...

Going back out to play. Will be trying settings you guys have posted. Thanks!

• Members

OK.

I read the whole thread. As with many here, the first day you spend coaxing sounds from it only to realize the drop in volume post-effect makes the effect less pronounced. It can be disappointing.

And in reading about line boosting post-effect, I agree this is what the pedal needs to get those high frequency radio tuning sounds to sing: but a booster only does half the job. What do you do about the insane volume peaks?

After taking my FH and plugging it into nearly everything, I have a solution that is both cheap and twice as effective. This thing needs a compressor/limiter that pumps and reacts to everything in extremes. The resonant bass that will blow your ears out needs to be squashed and the high frequencies, especially the amazing ones that occur when no signal is present, need to be raised. The Alesis Smashup is the least respected of the Modfx series, and rightly so. Most reviews say it does nothing, and to most signals, they'd be right. But with the settings set for FAST ATTACK, SLOW RELEASE and the mod button set to PUMP, this thing slays. I boosted the volume with a line booster, a mixer, three pedals with volume IN knobs, and nothing touched it. You could run stereo in/out or mono or mono/split to stereo. They're 20-30 bucks. Any compressor I'm sure would work, provided it can be set to boost/squash to extremes. Just sharing.

I bought this because I couldn't resist the radio frequency type stuff I was hearing in the demos. And with the compressor, I hear the littlest stuff loud and clear.

Have to post picks of what it's paired with: meant to be! Can't believe how it nestled in so nicely. Suspense...

awesome, HNFHD! When I record I use my Black Finger after the Hoax for the reasons you stated, have fun! One of the coolest noise tools out there IMO. :)

• Members

OK.

Great! Do you place the compressor after the FH?

• Members

gotta try the compressor. got some great sounds last night running the hoax into a fuzz factory.

it was unnoticeable until the hoax got to the extremely high/radio freq part of its sweep and would screech over my playing.

awesome awesome awesome

• Members
7641088974_9ab05b936e.jpg

Nestled between two Modmax pedals nicely.

Purple & Blue FTW!

This particular routing is Modmax Ringmod > Modmax Filter > Hoax > Alesis Smashup

I tried to film a video tonight with my wife's iPad2 but the audio sounded tinny and did not capture the CF that's going on with this thing. I'll try again soon.

• Members

7641088974_9ab05b936e.jpg

Nestled between two Modmax pedals nicely.

Purple & Blue FTW!

This particular routing is Modmax Ringmod > Modmax Filter > Hoax > Alesis Smashup

I tried to film a video tonight with my wife's iPad2 but the audio sounded tinny and did not capture the CF that's going on with this thing. I'll try again soon.

The Alesis is not in the picture, right? Just wondering in case I missed some sort of limited release version of the Smashbox.

• Members

coloring pad knows his {censored}. listen to him...

it has three output...which are you all using for guitar? how about keyboards? how about something like a korg wavedrum? i've been tinkering around with mine for a year, and although i get some good sounds, i don't think i'm utilizing it to achieve best potential...

(sorry if this has been written in another page. can't take time to read them all)

so, which outputs? all? combo?

i have to say this is the most complex pedal i've used, and i love the capabilities.

werd, hoaxers unite!

Archived