"CLIP" - Best 1x12 Combo I've Ever Played...approx. $500 US :)

Randy Van Sykes

• Members
Originally posted by mesablue

Finally got to play one for a good period of time at the store and was very impressed. I was able to get the tone's Randy Van Sykes got with his recomended settings and many more. I was impressed with the clean channel and I have been playing a RI Bassman for years now.

The amp gets a great spongey feel on the OD channel with the mid's at about 12 O'clock very nice and plenty of mids if need be.

The amp reminds me alot of my old 2205 JCM 800 but with a great clean channel and great reverb.

A must purchase for me, I can get out the door for about $550.

Cool! :)
I agree that the gain when cranked up has a nice slight spongeyness to it...I like that feel, not mushy but a little spongey. :)

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

that sounds killer man

that thing should come in pretty freakin' handy for live or recording.

ive never considered a traynor before - i played one some years back but dont remember much about it. i do know after hearing your clips im going to have to hunt one down!

i am a huge fan of combos, and that one has tone for days. ive always kept smallish combos around, and usually (with mine) they've excelled at the bluesy/crunch thing but not so great with that type of crunchy gain. i am now on a mission and i thank you for posting the clips.

ive played some hi-gain combos in the past, but usually they had too much low-end to try and make up for the size and sounded boxy. i dont know exactly how you recorded that but you should stick to that technique of recording! that thing sounds sweet/saggy/mean at the same time

• Members

Originally posted by specs

The Traynor Blue sounds like a great deal. Are there any clips of just the clean channel at moderate volume?

I don't think so...but I can say people that are used to a nice Fender clean tone have been (told me) very happy with the clean on this amp, even though it's an EL34 based amp.

• Members
Originally posted by fishfartz

that sounds killer man

that thing should come in pretty freakin' handy for live or recording.

ive never considered a traynor before - i played one some years back but dont remember much about it. i do know after hearing your clips im going to have to hunt one down!

i am a huge fan of combos, and that one has tone for days. ive always kept smallish combos around, and usually (with mine) they've excelled at the bluesy/crunch thing but not so great with that type of crunchy gain. i am now on a mission and i thank you for posting the clips.

ive played some hi-gain combos in the past, but usually they had too much low-end to try and make up for the size and sounded boxy. i dont know exactly how you recorded that but you should stick to that technique of recording! that thing sounds sweet/saggy/mean at the same time

It is an interesting tone...I know I initially said it's Marshally, but it definately has it's own sound.
I miked it off axis with an SM57 pointed 2/3 out from the dust cap (approx)... I think I mic all amps that way and see what happens...if no good, I fiddle with placement endlessly until I find the sweet spot...I find this amp mics up very easily...little fussing. :)

• Members

Thanks so much for the kind words :)...man this thread has legs...posted it almost 3 months ago. I've had many PM's from people that bought the amp and thanked me for turing them on to it...really glad I could help. :cool:
For anyone that just simply liked the playing...I am trying to finish an instrumental CD...one day. :)

• Members

sup randy.

I basically stole one

499.99 + free shipping off of ebay

brand new!

it came here a few weeks back, and I've been loving it.

Laborday, I went to GC, basically stole a MIM fender strat NATURAL FINISH(didn't know they made these for MIM models), last on at the store, talked em down to 280$ 8)

anyways thanks for the clips

• Members
Originally posted by jkleeks

sup randy.

I basically stole one

499.99 + free shipping off of ebay

brand new!

it came here a few weeks back, and I've been loving it.

Laborday, I went to GC, basically stole a MIM fender strat NATURAL FINISH(didn't know they made these for MIM models), last on at the store, talked em down to 280$ 8)

anyways thanks for the clips

Awesome...congrats! :)

You just robbed everybody with all these deals. :D

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm new to posting here but have been lurking for many years.

Thank you very much for posting your clips and thoughts on this great little amp! For the time being I've been really searching for something that was tubed and had the flexibility I wanted. I didn't mind the rect-0-verb but it just sounded a bit harsh at various volumes. Tried the F-50 and it sounded fine but not exactly what I was looking for...a bit too compressed.

When I first saw this amp...I'll be honest....I initially just wrote it off after trying some of the other non-blue versions and just assumed it was a cosmetic change.....but then I heard how it sounded from your clips. I went in to try one out at the local shop tonight. Completely blown away by the clarity of tone and the gain of the amp. It reminds me of a very hot JCM800 if anything.

Thanks for saving me a pile of $$$. I'm picking it up tomorrow along with the extention cab. Can't wait!

Paul G.

• Members
Originally posted by Gas34

I'm new to posting here but have been lurking for many years.

Thank you very much for posting your clips and thoughts on this great little amp! For the time being I've been really searching for something that was tubed and had the flexibility I wanted. I didn't mind the rect-0-verb but it just sounded a bit harsh at various volumes. Tried the F-50 and it sounded fine but not exactly what I was looking for...a bit too compressed.

When I first saw this amp...I'll be honest....I initially just wrote it off after trying some of the other non-blue versions and just assumed it was a cosmetic change.....but then I heard how it sounded from your clips. I went in to try one out at the local shop tonight. Completely blown away by the clarity of tone and the gain of the amp. It reminds me of a very hot JCM800 if anything.

Thanks for saving me a pile of $$$. I'm picking it up tomorrow along with the extention cab. Can't wait!

Paul G.

That's great to hear...really glad I could help Paul... :)

Adam

• Members
Originally posted by Speed_Racer71

just listened to the second clip..sounded good..for the money that thing rocks..and the clips were done with no od pedal or boost? ..damn im impressed for sure..hard to find a combo with a vin30 at that price and sound that good..another sleeper amp:cool:

Thanks...no pedals were harmed during the making of these clips... :)

• Members

sorry Randy i didnt feel like reading 15 friggin pages lol never seen the day a 700 dollar amp would cause such a stir

so anyway did you buy that amp or just test it out?
and did you do anymore clips than the 2 you posted..i have a credit with MFriend that would cover the price plus some pedals .. im having a hard time not getting it..but im trying not to rush into it either

Archived