"CLIP" - Best 1x12 Combo I've Ever Played...approx. $500 US :)

Randy Van Sykes

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by JT1

There's one on ebay. Free shipping too.

JT1: Is the amp on eBay yours? If so, why you selling? If not yours, how are you liking the amp "after the honeymoon?" (I read several posts back that you weren't as satisfied w/ the 1x12.)

Thanks.

• Members

I'm about to buy one too... The amp seems to be right up my alley. Nobody around here carries 'em, so I'm going to have to just order one and hope it does it for me.

Anybody want to add anything else to help increase my GAS any further? :cool:

• Members

Can anyone tell me if it has the Mojo that a JCM800 has? I need something that's easy to transport, but I've kinda fell in love with my 800. If it's close I need to try it, but otherwise, I'll just have to lug around my 800.;)

Clips remind me of the 800 a bit, that's why I'm asking...

• Members
Originally posted by Michael AE

Can anyone tell me if it has the Mojo that a JCM800 has? I need something that's easy to transport, but I've kinda fell in love with my 800. If it's close I need to try it, but otherwise, I'll just have to lug around my 800.
;)

Clips remind me of the 800 a bit, that's why I'm asking...

The second "Whitesnake riff" clip I posted really sounds alot like the amp in the room to me, it's Marshally but really has it's own sound too...it's thicker in the lower mids than an 800 and has more gain in the pre...you'd have to try it to see if you like it...I don't want to steer anybody wrong...I prefered my Carvin Legacy over my 1971 Marshall Super Lead and sold the Marshall (I'm sure some people would say that's crazy) so it's really all just preference...the name on the amp or the prestige of owning it means nothing to me...I like what makes me enjoy playing more... :)

• Members

woohoo!! now i have a box to ship the Vox in when i sell it LOL

wouldnt ya know it..when i opened the box up some moron had the amp...pause...upside down, but the box was right side up..sooo im sweating at this point a little...but i flip the box open get it out..plug er up and she works just fine..no popping or anything..and i hope it stays that way..played it for about 30mins tinkering with it..so far i like it..:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Speed_Racer71

wouldnt ya know it..when i opened the box up some moron had the amp...pause...upside down, but the box was right side up..sooo im sweating at this point a little...but i flip the box open get it out..plug er up and she works just fine..no popping or anything..and i hope it stays that way..played it for about 30mins tinkering with it..so far i like it..
:thu:

They're put upside down like that to protect the tubes I believe.

• Members
Originally posted by atbear

I bought one last night! I'm guessing it'll be here Tuesday!

You're right... that did sound a lot like a Legacy... that's why I liked it so much!

Really???

Well good luck, I hope you really dig it Drew! :)
Try all the EQ controls at 12 O'clock ...it's a good starting point, and it sounds really good even like that...'boost' engaged, gain around 2 or 3 O'clock...

• Members

wouldnt ya know it..when i opened the box up some moron had the amp...pause...upside down, but the box was right side up..sooo im sweating at this point a little...but i flip the box open get it out..plug er up and she works just fine..no popping or anything..and i hope it stays that way..played it for about 30mins tinkering with it..so far i like it..
:thu:

Upside down the tubes won't fall out, so it could be intentionally shipped that way...

Try a JJ 12ax7 in slot 2 (middle preamp tube) it gives the amp even a little more gain and it sounds pretty smooth...I like the JJ's in this amp the best...

• Members

damn randy ..now you tell me.. after i get everything put back together lol ..i actually have a JJ ecc83s , and ecc803s and a Tung sol 12ax7 lying around..i broke the tip of the tube off in my valvetronix so i ordered a few spare ones..i wonder if the JJ 803s will be too much gain since i think it has a tad more thank the 83s

• Members

damn randy ..now you tell me.. after i get everything put back together lol ..i actually have a JJ ecc83s , and ecc803s and a Tung sol 12ax7 lying around..i broke the tip of the tube off in my valvetronix so i ordered a few spare ones..i wonder if the JJ 803s will be too much gain since i think it has a tad more thank the 83s

I used a JJ ecc83s...I read somewhere that the (long plate) ecc803s isn't recommended for combos, probably due to vibrations.

• Members

Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

I used a JJ ecc83s...I read somewhere that the (long plate) ecc803s isn't recommended for combos, probably due to vibrations.

ya know i just realized the 803 is in the vox..so that means i aint taking it apart its staying in lol looks like it may be the 83 that goes in..might as well try the tung sol to

• Members

Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

thetubestore.com

"Note: Because this tube has a long plate structure it is not recommended for use in combo amps. For these amps the JJ / Tesla ECC83-S is a better choice."

Archived