"CLIP" - Best 1x12 Combo I've Ever Played...approx. $500 US :)

Randy Van Sykes

• Members

Originally posted by BARHOPPER

Just got through buying one from Musicians Friend for $575! Used the price match from this site for $599, then used the HCRD $25 discount from MF. Can't wait. Thanks!

damn and i thought i got a good deal @ 639.99..oh well..that will teach me to do a better search

i went ahead and ordered some JJ ecc83s ..i had one lying around and randy said try it in the V2 slot..a noticeable difference it did make..i think ill leave the pwr tubes alone for the moment..mine had EH El34s..i thought it would all be Sovtek

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by francric

I've been reading this thread and the amp sounds pretty good. Would you say this is a versatile amp? Can cover everything from Jazz to Metal? I'm kinda new to tube amps.

you could dial in the clean channel to be pretty dark for jazz and dial in the gain channel with an eq pedal to scoop the mids...it could do both styles i guess.

• Members

i just put JJ ecc83s' in all 3 pre amp slots....sounds way better than the stock sovteks...sounded like it tightened up the bass..the chugga chugga sounds better...i think ill keep the EH EL34s for a while...im having too much fun to keep take the back off of it ..im also using a MXR 10 band eq in the loop and a Boss SD1 /analogman/silver/push pull mod OD pedal..tad bit hissy but ill prb get an ISP decimator when i sell some of my other pedals, amps and guitar

:thu:

• Members

I got mine last night and have been rocking ever since...

Very nice thick and warm amp! Has just enough sizzle... Great for lead playing! It can get just a tad muddy for heavy rhythm playing, but it sure is thick. I think it's a keeper.

I also put JJs in all 3 spots. I'm about to get a balance EH to put in V3, and I'm going to try to find a NOS Mullard to put in V1. Gonna put a matched pair of SED EL34s in too. Should be ROCKIN'!

Thanks, RVS!

• Members
Originally posted by Speed_Racer71

i just put JJ ecc83s' in all 3 pre amp slots....sounds way better than the stock sovteks...sounded like it tightened up the bass..the chugga chugga sounds better...i think ill keep the EH EL34s for a while...im having too much fun to keep take the back off of it ..im also using a MXR 10 band eq in the loop and a Boss SD1 /analogman/silver/push pull mod OD pedal..tad bit hissy but ill prb get an ISP decimator when i sell some of my other pedals, amps and guitar

The stock Sovteks are what I recorded the clips with...and I agree, the JJ's sound better...I really like the gain tone/breakup of the JJ's (in some amps).

• Members
Originally posted by atbear

Very nice thick and warm amp! Has just enough sizzle... Great for lead playing! It can get just a tad muddy for heavy rhythm playing, but it sure is thick. I think it's a keeper.

I also put JJs in all 3 spots. I'm about to get a balance EH to put in V3, and I'm going to try to find a NOS Mullard to put in V1. Gonna put a matched pair of SED EL34s in too. Should be ROCKIN'!

Thanks, RVS!

It has a bit of the Legacy character with the lower mids being strong, overall the amp is sorta dark sounding as well...but it sounds better than the Legacy at low volumes and has more gain in the pre (with the boost 'on').

Added: I'm not a fan of amps that are really tight sounding...I like a bit of scrunchy, blooming, compressed stuff on the notes and chords...some call it a bit of mud...some call it a bit of 'character'... :D

• Members
Originally posted by atbear

Thanks, RVS!

i was reading about the svet EL34 also..seems to be the way to go..even though i still would like to try the Siemens and New Sensor Mullards :D

• Members

AWesome. Buddy has an older 40 watt with V30 speaker, but it deosn't sound anything like that! It get a medium gain sound when pushed hard, great for blues, but not the high gain fire breathing sounds you're getting out of the 50. Definitely in Marshall territory there.

• Members

Originally posted by tubehead

AWesome. Buddy has an older 40 watt with V30 speaker, but it deosn't sound anything like that! It get a medium gain sound when pushed hard, great for blues, but not the high gain fire breathing sounds you're getting out of the 50. Definitely in Marshall territory there.

I found the 40 watt not as thick in the lower mids and (like you said) it definately needs a pedal to get into the hard stuff.

• Members
Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

haha...I faintly remember playing that song in one of my first bands...

We went on the road across Canada in a cube van that never %#@& worked... What I remember the most of that band was always sitting at a garage waiting for it to be repaired.
:D

Did you ever play "What You Give" ? Now that song has some serious tone in it!

• Members

Originally posted by jem7vwh

I tried it the other day. It was pretty good, but it didnt blow me away by any means. That said, I was playing at low volumes. Does it sound significantly better when cranked?

im not good as describing sound..but it has more of an open less compressed sound..and for a 1x12 it can get rather loud..i changed out the preamp tubes from the sovteks to jj's and that thickened it up a bit..seems like it came with sovtek 12ax7wa which are a little lower in gain than a reg 12ax7..i kept the EH EL34s...but down the road im thinking new sensor mullards, svets or siemens. so far i havent had any regrets, i can use the boost, dial in the gain all the way til 10 and still use a modded sd1 to push it and its not too mushy..but i am using a prs mccarty and those are def not hi-output p'ups

• Members

well...to me it sounds a lot like a Carvin Legacy and or JCM800..its thick in the mids...reminds me of 80's metal..i tuned down 1 1/2 steps the other day to see how it did with some damage plan..it def needs a 2x12 or 4x12 for that...its def NOT an ENGL Powerball or 5150..in standard tune which is what i use 99.9% of the time to me it sounds a lot like the tone Tesla is getting on "Modern Day Cowboy" ..and "I Stand Alone" by Jackyl..those are the tunes that remind me of the tone it gets..hope this helps

• Members

I gave it a test run at a local music store... pretty sweet!

I couldn't turn it up too loud 'cause there were a bunch of dudes playing acoustics right next to me, but I was pretty impressed with the amp even at low-ass volumes. It has a crap load of gain (well, for me anyway) and with the gain half-way with the boost engaged, I was playing VH and G'n'R riffs without any problems... Considering how quietly I was playing a 50w tube amp, I found it had very nice sustain and an overall pleasant distortion character.

The biggest downer was playing a POS Squire Tele through it... {censored}er wouldn't stay in tune at all (I'm bringing my LP next time to try it out again). But then these French chicks came over and started requesting AC/DC tunes, so it was all good. :D

Archived