So I Played a Herbert Today at GC

TexasDeathRide

• Members

spent over 2 hrs with it at fairly loud volumes...extremely nice amp. Worth $4 grand...well that's all subjective isn't it.

To me it wasn't but to many it is. I personally feel that my QR can hang with it any day at half the price but again, it's all subjective.

I've owned everything from VHT's and Soldano's to Laney's and Peaveys...price isn't really an issue for me anymore. Take Peavey for example...years ago, I could never get over the fact of the negative Peavey image...but I couldn't deny my ears in that the 5150 was a killer amp. Once I busted that demon, price, hype, peer pressure nor brand plays into my equation anymore...tone does. One other thing...build quality. Sure it's great knowing that you've got an amp that's overbuilt with mil spec parts but I'm more concerned about dependability. Often, both go hand in hand but I'll reference the 5150 again, 10 years worth of playing one and not one problem. Again, tone is my measuring stick.

Honestly, $4 grand is a helluva alot of money to shell out for an amp but you can bet your last dollar that if the Herbert had me gassing, I'd own one.

I've still got to spend some more time with the Einstein...the first go around I had with that amp I was completely unimpressed but in fairness, it might have been me that day. I've had that happen before with stuff...only to try something again later and go what the hell was I thinking.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Originally posted by Jack Luminous

None of the other brands you mentionned build 4-channel amps with a lot of switchable functions and midi interface... How can you say they have much better build quality when the products aren't even comparable ??

Mako is about to come out with such an amp (minus the midi).

I'm not talking about versatility and features, I'm talking about overbuilt ruggedness only. Engl also build 4 channel MIDI amps with alot more switchable functions than a Diezel, yet their build quality is not as good as Diezel.

• Members
Originally posted by Peter Diezel

Are You sure ?

Thanks,

Peter

Yeah I'm sure, based on the observations of a few techs who've examined these amps when I've brought them over (minus the Roccaforte - no one on this board is going the doubt the superlative build quality of Doug's amps).

• Members
Originally posted by thegame

I'm not talking about versatility and features, I'm talking about overbuilt ruggedness only. Engl also build 4 channel MIDI amps with alot more switchable functions than a Diezel, yet their build quality is not as good as Diezel.

What's the wait time? A year per channel?

• Members

"is about" when talking Mako is somewhat open to interpretation.

You cited 3 companies well-known for PTP wiring and oldschool design. I think Diezel doesn't fit that description at all. Diezel amps are rugged and overbuilt too. Engl has nothing to do with it.

• Members

Yeah I'm sure, based on the observations of a few techs who've examined these amps when I've brought them over (minus the Roccaforte - no one on this board is going the doubt the superlative build quality of Doug's amps).

The Rocca and the Diezel are totally different build wise as well as designs, just can't compare the two.

PTP vs PTP

PCB vs PCB

• Members
Originally posted by steve10358

What is your basis for this??

I dunno about you, but the PC board is thick, the solder is clean, the wires are routed super clean, and everything is beyond military grade. Dude, every cap in the thing is level to each other.

There's a lot of attention to detail, not to mention the quality of the components inside. The weight doesn't come from the tolex and handle!!

Look inside one before you start talking about the quality of an amp.

S.

Why are you so defensive? I said the Diezel's build quality is very good. My point is that there amps out there that are built even BETTER! Sound better?; thats subjective but I'm not talking about that.

I'll modify my original commnents by adding another 'very' to the description, so IMO Diezel's are built very, very well (good). Happy?

When I had a Diezel, I noticed the back of the chassis flexed when inserting a speaker cable with moderate force. Thats not military grade. Go to the Mako site and look up what military grade means (in relation to guitar amps).

And yes I've looked inside one.

• Members

So a few backyard techs made a half wit statement? These techs inspected the Diezel? Dougs work is great (he's one of 4 I'd take a marshall to), but his amps have a more basic layout and dont require some of the routing that Peters amp does.

Thegame, you simply don't know what you are talking about. Why don't you "examine" a diezel YOURSELF, and state what isn't built well about it?

S.

• Members

Thats not military grade. Go to the Mako site and look up what military grade means (in relation of guitar amps).

That's always the first thing I look for in an amp....how much flex there is plugging in.

Millitary grade? Where are you playing it? In Vietnam?

4 year wait for a non flexing amp.:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by steve10358

So a few backyard techs made a half wit statement? These techs inspected the Diezel? Dougs work is great (he's one of 4 I'd take a marshall to), but his amps have a more basic layout and dont require some of the routing that Peters amp does.

Thegame, you simply don't know what you are talking about. Why don't you "examine" a diezel YOURSELF, and state what isn't built well about it?

S.

So I can't compare the quality, construction-wise of two amps just because one is more complex?

So lets say some budget company, like Digitech, Boss, whomever, comes out with a 4 channel MIDI, feature laden amp that was made with poor parts, had noise issues, etc. So this fictional amps comes out, everyone on HC deservingly bashes it, yet I can't say that a Wizard, Mako or Roccaforte is built better than it because these amps are of a simpler design?

Before you confuse the issue, I'm not likening Diezel to a low budget company. I'm exagerrating the difference to illustrate my point easier.

By your logic I would not be able to compare two very well made guitars (a Suhr - simple in design and features, classic Strat design) with a late 70's BC rich that has literally a dozen knobs and switches on it. They're both really good, but maybe one is built better than the other, irregardless of the features they have.

• Members

Why are you so defensive? I said the Diezel's build quality is very good. My point is that there amps out there that are built even BETTER! Sound better?; thats subjective but I'm not talking about that.

I'll modify my original commnents by adding another 'very' to the description, so IMO Diezel's are built very, very well (good). Happy?

When I had a Diezel, I noticed the back of the chassis flexed when inserting a speaker cable with moderate force. Thats not military grade. Go to the Mako site and look up what military grade means (in relation to guitar amps).

And yes I've looked inside one.

That's interesting. I own two Diezel's and know several other owners and I've never seen the chassis flex.

• Members
Originally posted by Digital Jams

I believe he is saying that when he plugs a 1/4" jack into the back the chassis moves back and forth.

Saying the metal is not very thick or sturdy.

Thanks Scott.

@the game: Herbert f.i. has a metal chassis and alu front- and backplates. Maybe in your case your jack wasn't tight enough fixed to the alu anymore.
In all seriousness I doubt that you've seen the chassis itself being flexible by plugging something into the speaker or loop jack.

• Members
Originally posted by Digital Jams

I believe he is saying that when he plugs a 1/4" jack into the back the chassis moves back and forth.

Saying the metal is not very thick or sturdy.

Point #1, yes it moves back and forth a bit. I wasn't applying excessive force either. You can make it bend a bit with your finger if you press right in the middle of the chassis on the back of the Herbert.

Point #2, I didn't say its not very thick or sturdy, I implied its not AS thick or sturdy as Wizard, Rocca, or Mako.

Geez, if I rated the Herbert a 9.9/10 overall I bet alot of you guys would bash me for not giving it a solid 10, right?:rolleyes:

• Members

And the Diezel is not as good ?