During gigs, what is your backup to your SS amp?

Bassified

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Bassified

For those who are gigging with a SS, what do you have as a backup?

What if you don't have another amp, do you have spare parts? What about fuse?

Why would it be different? Get an amp that'll be good enough to get you through the gig, regardless of whether you are going SS, tube, combo, whatever. Other than fuses, not much you can carry for parts with a transistor amp.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Why would it be different? Get an amp that'll be good enough to get you through the gig, regardless of whether you are going SS, tube, combo, whatever. Other than fuses, not much you can carry for parts with a transistor amp.

Oh yeah the fuse.

Can you fix the fuse quickly?

• Members

For those who are gigging with a SS, what do you have as a backup?

What if you don't have another amp, do you have spare parts? What about fuse?

DI Box, Guitar cable.

I always have extra fuses and tools like a soldering iron, solder, needle nose, Solder Vac, hemostat...

• Members

Originally posted by Zachman

DI Box, Guitar cable.

I always have extra fuses and tools like a soldering iron, solder, needle nose, Solder Vac, hemostat...

Would this be considered a DI box?

And when you amp does blow, can you use a DI box and drive a power amp of the blown amp?

• Members

Alright cool. I'm just wondering what you can do IF that venue does not have a PA.

UHH, I'd bring my own PA. If the club was supposed to provide one, and didn't I'd get my paycheck and go home early, because I would have a contract in place to eliminate any ridiculous confusion.

Last time I checked, there are no guarantees to cover all possibilities.

My best suggestion is use a reliable piece of gear and take a backup.

If you are doing gigs and showup, without checking into the venue and you didn't have a rider/contract outlining what the club would be providing, then you are totally lacking in common sense, business sense, and should probably look into a career in shoe sales.

IF you show up and the place doesn't have a PA, you should have planned to bring your own.

If you show up to the gig and they don't have outlets, you might want to bring a generator too. This is getting silly. I like being helpful, but c'mon now, you're being ridiculous NOW.

• Members

UHH, I'd bring my own PA. If the club was supposed to provide one, and didn't I'd get my paycheck and go home early, because I would have a contract in place to eliminate any ridiculous confusion.

Last time I checked, there are no guarantees to cover all possibilities.

My best suggestion is use a reliable piece of gear and take a backup.

If you are doing gigs and showup, without checking into the venue and you didn't have a rider/contract outlining what the club would be providing, then you are totally lacking in common sense, business sense, and should probably look into a career in shoe sales.

IF you show up and the place doesn't have a PA, you should have planned to bring your own.

If you show up to the gig and they don't have outlets, you might want to bring a generator too. This is getting silly. I like being helpful, but c'mon now, you're being ridiculous NOW.

Well, not all bands have the luxury of all that equipment. Even bands that have done lots of shows can't afford all that gear, like the band I am with. We do have a PA, but it's not really that good. We just use it in practice to mic the vocal.

My vocalist has been borrowing friend's amps for gigs. Takes time to buy all that gear and I just bought a pretty expensive tube amp, so I can't empty my wallet that fast again.

And some shows are pretty short. I don't know if it's worth bringing so many amps and stuff for a small set. For example, my vocalist told me our upcoming gig is at a community centre and they're just give us 20 minutes. Furthermore, it's like a 'family and senior' thing. I'm still deciding on whether I want to bring my heavy tube amp or just go with a 15 watt solid state, since we can't be that loud anyway. Last show was loud, but not every show lets us rock out.

• Members

Well, not all bands have the luxury of all that equipment. Even bands that have done lots of shows can't afford all that gear, like the band I am with. We do have a PA, but it's not really that good. We just use it in practice to mic the vocal.

My vocalist has been borrowing friend's amps for gigs. Takes time to buy all that gear and I just bought a pretty expensive tube amp, so I can't empty my wallet that fast again.

And some shows are pretty short. I don't know if it's worth bringing so many amps and stuff for a small set. For example, my vocalist told me our upcoming gig is at a community centre and they're just give us 20 minutes. Furthermore, it's like a 'family and senior' thing. I'm still deciding on whether I want to bring my heavy tube amp or just go with a 15 watt solid state, since we can't be that loud anyway. Last show was loud, but not every show lets us rock out.

Well... if you are going to expect professionalism, you must first provide it.

It sounds like, you are in the "paying your dues" stage of your development. I would suggest you be more selective with your gigs, and expect realism, not fantasy and you'll likely face disappointment a lot less.

• Members

maybe his idea of doing a show is his 11th grade buddies' backyard party.
:rolleyes:

Wow, thanks.

I thought I could talk serious.

Hm...

Let's see....

I wonder if those grade 9s want a backyard gig with my 15 watt solid state amp.

• Members

Wow, thanks.

I thought I could talk serious.

Hm...

Let's see....

I wonder if those grade 9s want a backyard gig with my 15 watt solid state amp.

Not likely.

I have been very sincere in trying to help you and you seem to be acting like an idiot on purpose, as your comments seem lacking in common sense.

• Members

Well... if you are going to expect professionalism, you must first provide it.

It sounds like, you are in the "paying your dues" stage of your development. I would suggest you be more selective with your gigs, and expect realism, not fantasy and you'll likely face disappointment a lot less.

Yeah, we're not professional-I don't think.

The band I'm with recorded a CD and it cost them a lot.

"Paying your dues"....interesting....that's what my vocalist said.

Archived