During gigs, what is your backup to your SS amp?

Bassified

• Members

Originally posted by Zachman

Not likely.

I have been very sincere in trying to help you and you seem to be acting like an idiot on purpose, as your comments seem lacking in common sense.

Can you quote me on some idiotic things I said?

I basically started the thread on what you would use as a backup to your SS. Seems harmless to me....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Bassified

Yeah, we're not professional-I don't think.

The band I'm with recorded a CD and it cost them a lot.

"Paying your dues"....interesting....that's what my vocalist said.

Not sure what the point you're trying to make is, but if you want to be treated seriously, you have to have some of the bases covered. OR do you think that is too much to expect?

• Members

Can you quote me on some idiotic things I said?

I basically started the thread on what you would use as a backup to your SS. Seems harmless to me....

Yes.

I am not going to as you, I assume, can read my responses to you, yourself.

I have been gigging for over 25 years and have never had an amp fail at a gig. If you want to have what the big boys have, use what the big boys use and behave like them too.

If you can't, then you're not ready for that no shame there, everyone has to start somewhere.

However; adjust your expectations accordingly.

• Members

Yes.

I am not going to as you, I assume, can read my responses to you, yourself.

I have been gigging for over 25 years and have never had an amp fail at a gig. If you want to have what the big boys have, use what the big boys use and behave like them too.

If you can't, then you're not ready for that no shame there, everyone has to start somewhere.

However; adjust your expectations accordingly.

What exactly do you mean?

Is this a direct attack on me because I am just starting out and I'm not using Marshall half-stacks with 10 pedals on my pedal board and a record label called Sony?

I hope not. I came to these forums for information.

• Members

Is this a direct attack on me because I am just starting out and I'm not using Marshall half-stacks with 10 pedals on my pedal board and a record label called Sony?

Judging by your posts, your motives are far different than that.

• Members

Calm down...

If you fear the amp you're using will need a backup and is unstable, get an amp that will cut it. If you can't afford it, perhaps renting an amp for an important performance is an alternative for you. If neither of those suggestions seems relavant to you, perhaps you should save up for a more suitable rig, and continue rehearsing until the time comes that you can provide the basics, required for a public performance.

If you feel the info that I provided isn't pertinent to you, feel free to ignore it.

Try to remember, you only get one shot at a first impression, and bad reviews about you and your band will travel twice as far and twice as fast as a good review.

• Members

Calm down...

If you fear the amp you're using will need a backup and is unstable, get an amp that will cut it. If you can't afford it, perhaps renting an amp for an important performance is an alternative for you. If neither of those suggestions seems relavant to you, perhaps you should save up for a more suitable rig, and continue rehearsing until the time comes that you can provide the basics, required for a public performance.

If you feel the info that I provided isn't pertinent to you, feel free to ignore it.

Try to remember, you only get one shot at a first impression, and bad reviews about you and your band will travell twice as far and twice as fast as a good review.

Well I'll ignore the 'idiotic statements' previously, but the post you just typed is the kind of information I am after, so thanks for giving advice on amp selection.

• Members

Calm down...

Try to remember, you only get one shot at a first impression, and bad reviews about you and your band will travell twice as far and twice as fast as a good review.

I still think this response may have been correct:

1845390466.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1139309

:D

But just in case I'm wrong, you've shown some nice patience and given some good info with your replies. :cool:

Bassified, if you really are not trolling, IMO some pretty good advice has been given out. Regarding the Sansamp you linked earlier, if you wanted to you could run it directly to a PA, but you'd probably need a speaker sim (which I don't have time to explain right at the moment) to help keep it from sounding pretty harsh. At least I'm pretty sure it'd work that way with no problems, assuming it's very similar to the Sansamp PSA-1 preamp I used to have. Good luck. :)

• Members
Originally posted by rushtallica

I still think this response was correct:

But just in case I'm wrong, you've shown some nice patience and given some good info with your replies.
:cool:

Bassified, if you really are not trolling, IMO some pretty good advice has been given out. Regarding the Sansamp you linked earlier, if you wanted to you
could
run it directly to a PA, but you'd probably need a speaker sim (which I don't have time to explain right at the moment) to help keep it from sounding pretty harsh. At least I'm pretty sure it'd work that way with no problems, assuming it's very similar to the Sansamp PSA-1 preamp I used to have. Good luck.
:)

Thanks, and no this not trolling. That picture if really weird, by the way.

If I recall correctly, my other guitarist from church goes guitar, boss blues driver into PA, so I assume the GT2 should work.

• Members

Thanks, and no this not trolling. That picture if really weird, by the way.

If I recall correctly, my other guitarist from church goes guitar, boss blues driver into PA, so I assume the GT2 should work.

It should, but it likely would sound a lot better with a speaker sim/direct box and would likely help out your friend's setup even though it works how he's already running it. Though I'm about out of time for posting for a little while, a speaker sim/direct box helps cut down on harsh frequencies and likely will make it sound more full. Here's some reviews for a DI box to give a better idea on how they can help:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Palmer/PDI-09/10/1

There are some cheaper sims/direct boxes like the Hughes and Kettner Red Box, as well, but some may be better than others. A PA/moniter setup is full-range while guitar speakers are usually not full range, so running directly into a PA and moniters won't sound the same as running into a guitar cab; the direct box/speaker sim is supposed to help make it sound more like you're using a real amp and guitar cab.

• Members

I still think this response may have been correct:

But just in case I'm wrong, you've shown some nice patience and given some good info with your replies.

Bassified, if you really are not trolling, IMO some pretty good advice has been given out. Regarding the Sansamp you linked earlier, if you wanted to you
could
run it directly to a PA, but you'd probably need a speaker sim (which I don't have time to explain right at the moment) to help keep it from sounding pretty harsh. At least I'm pretty sure it'd work that way with no problems, assuming it's very similar to the Sansamp PSA-1 preamp I used to have. Good luck.
:)

Thanks bro!!! I really am trying to be helpful, but sometimes start wondering if the questions are a part of a kindergarten troll homework assignment. If I am wrong, then I have no problem apologizing, but I stand by my suggestions.

BTW your sig is FREAKING HILARIOUS! :D

• Members

It should, but it likely would sound a lot better with a speaker sim/direct box and would likely help out your friend's setup even though it works how he's already running it. Though I'm about out of time for posting for a little while, a speaker sim/direct box helps cut down on harsh frequencies and likely will make it sound more full. Here's some reviews for a DI box to give a better idea on how they can help:

There are some cheaper sims/direct boxes like the Hughes and Kettner Red Box, as well, but some may be better than others. A PA/moniter setup is full-range while guitar speakers are usually not full range, so running directly into a PA and moniters won't sound the same as running into a guitar cab; the direct box/speaker sim is supposed to help make it sound more like you're using a real amp and guitar cab.

Very well put!!! ALL of this info is correct and pertinent.

• Members

Thanks bro!!! I really am trying to be helpful, but sometimes start wondering if the questions are a part of a kindergarten troll homework assignment. If I am wrong, then I have no problem apologizing, but I stand by my suggestions.

I hear you. :cool:

BTW your sig is FREAKING HILARIOUS!

I normally would not make fun of anyone's tone, but the sound and the situation it's related to definitely warranted the response. :thu::D

• Members

Alright cool. sounds like a good back up.

Man, when I got the SansAmp GT2, I thought that could do the job.

• Members

Man, when I got the SansAmp GT2, I thought that could do the job.

I've played through one and thought it was very similar to the PSA-1 preamp I had, though the GT-2 I tried didn't get the type of lead tones the PSA-1 I had did. Rythms sounded pretty good, though, IMO. I was thinking about trying a tubescreamer with the gain down but the volume up (or another boost pedal) in front of the GT-2 to see what that would sound like.

• Members

Whoops, should have clarified and not said 'sounds like a good back'.

I don't think I heard it before, but it does get high marks in the review section so I am assuming it would be a good back.

Anyway though, if my GT2 can do the job, then hopefully that'll be good. I rather look into other pedals.

• Members

I actually want to try a Peavey Bandit. They seem pretty cool.

Value for money, i think, they are some of the best S/S amps out there, and that one lil lonesome 12AX7 in there must help a wee bit to get those long sining sutained notes :cool:

Another S/S amp that i looked into (but did not buy, because i already had the MUCH louder Bandit) is this one !

Might be too low at 25Watt ss

Onther other hand, by brother is the band leader of our church band, and lately, he is thinking of selling his new(ish) VOX AC30CC for one of these . . .

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2290000010

. . . or, if he can not afford that very one, he is OK with one like this . . .

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2267000030

Oh well, to each his own . . .

:rolleyes:

• Members
Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz

Value for money, i think, they are some of the best S/S amps out there, and that one lil lonesome 12AX7 in there must help a wee bit to get those long sining sutained notes

Another S/S amp that i looked into (but did not buy, because i already had the MUCH louder Bandit) is this one !

Might be too low at 25Watt ss

Onther other hand, by brother is the band leader of our church band, and lately, he is thinking of selling his new(ish) VOX AC30CC for one of these . . .

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2290000010

. . . or, if he can not afford that very one, he is OK with one like this . . .

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2267000030

Oh well, to each his own . . .

:rolleyes:

Meh, I don't think it really matters what gear anyone has as long as they like what they hear. The tube vs solid state debate is getting pretty old and both have their pros and cons.

The Bandit has a preamp tube? Heh, didn't know there was.

Have you tried the Roland Cube series?

Archived