Are you getting a KRONOS?

Thorhead

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I think the Kronos IS a revolutionary step in workstations, and I plan on getting one. I wanted an Oasys, and never bought one because it was too expensive. A big part of what makes the Kronos revolutionary and game-changing is the price.

• Members

woah, woah, woah... he doesn't have to be a thief to get free sound software, there's legitimate free stuff out there. Easy with that axe, Eugene.
:cop:

The question is, could you get Kronos quality for free?

Now, I know you can get a quality piano VST for $100, but for free? Dunno about that.

EPs? There's a few freebies out there, but most of the better packages seem to be $199-$299.

B3? There are decent free ones, but do they compare to the Korg? VB3 might, but that's another 50 euros.

Analog synthesizers? There are free ones. But the Kronos includes the Korg Legacy Collection analog ($199).

MOD-7? That's kind of an interesting one. Even though it's not FM8, let's throw in the cost of that ($299) as something sort of comparable.

HD-1 -- ok, you have Independence Free and Proteus VX. But is it comparable? I mean, the HD-1 will have gigabytes in their libraries. What's comparable? The East West megapacks? Omnisphere, which is $469? You think the hypothetical $250 laptop can handle East West or Omnisphere stuff? I see basic $500 laptops that might be able to, but $250 is getting near netbook territory.

And I'm not sure what can replace the plucked string engine.

So I've mentioned say $1300 of software that doesn't even duplicate everything that a Kronos has. Plus, more realistically, add $500 for a laptop (a bit more if its an SSD) and a bit more for the interface. We haven't even got to the keyboard part.

• Members
woah, woah, woah... he doesn't have to be a thief to get free sound software, there's legitimate free stuff out there. Easy with that axe, Eugene.
:cop:

Nice, here's a lover of that noise too.

"Oh By The Way", E P, are you a Pink Floyd lover?
FYI
Lyric reads 'Careful with that axe Eugene'

I saw them play it live, when he walked out on stage wearing a guitar that looked like a
large bloody axe, it was out of this world whacky fun.

I have the "Oh By The Way" box set, it's an awesome collection.
14 cd's, the library, with Sid Barret too.

Chas

• Members

I am placing my Kronos order Monday. I have more than funded this by selling off my M3M, XS7 and Extreme 76 .

I tried the RH3 key on the SV-1 today. It is adequate & I will be ok adapting to it. The RH3 is on the Kronos 73/88.

IMO, the Rd700GX1 ( or NX) has the best feeling piano touch. YMWV

Fact. The RD700GX absolutely has the best feel of any piano I've played. At the moment I have a Studiologic VMK-188 (which I am going to sell to put towards the Kronos). The action is equatable to Korg weighted action, so it's really no big shift for me. Now to mull over 73 key verses 88 key.......

• Members

Fact. The RD700GX absolutely has the best feel of any piano I've played. At the moment I have a Studiologic VMK-188 (which I am going to sell to put towards the Kronos). The action is equatable to Korg weighted action, so it's really no big shift for me. Now to mull over 73 key verses 88 key.......

I am oriented to piano, so I am getting the 88.

some folks that gig, move around, struggle with the size of an 88, and may like a 73.

I recently sold my XS7 to a guy who plays church gigs. He also had the XS8 and said

its too much to haul around.

• Members

Fact. The RD700GX absolutely has the best feel of any piano I've played. At the moment I have a Studiologic VMK-188 (which I am going to sell to put towards the Kronos). The action is equatable, so it's really no big shift for me.
Now to mull over 73 key verses 88 key.......

Sausagefoot,

In my opinion, and assuming money isn't the issue of course, it makes absolutely no sense in getting the 73 instead of the 88, especially in your case since you have mentioned owning/using 88-key synths. Add to that the fact that you [probably] aren't used to playing on 76 piano-action keyboards, let alone on a 73.

Now if the 73 version was a synth-action keyboard, it's a different ball game.

The 88 is 1.17 times longer than the 73: it's 21.2 cm longer [8.35 inches]. The depth is exactly the same.

The mass of the 88 is 23.0 kg. The 73 is 20.3 kg. So it's 2.7 kg heavier [5.96 pounds]

And here's a visual comparison I did for you using a grid and scaling in Photoshop. Maybe it will provide some help.

This is what the 3 instruments would look like exactly when put next to each other [relative dimensions].

Some observations:

1. Because the 61 model is 4.9 cm [1.93 inches] shallower than the 73 and 88 models, the LCD on the 61 will appear to be bigger in comparison, but it isn

• Members

Thanks Med for that comparison. If anything, it further backs up that a 73 key weighted doesn't make sense.

For me, I hated the 73 semi-weighted keys decision as opposed to the 76 semi-weighted on the Tritons and OASYS. Eliminating 3 keys and changing the keybed to C scale sucked and killed the M3 for ever being a primary board. So when it comes to the Kronos, if I'm stuck with weighted keys, I might as well get as many as possible.

• Members

The pianists would stage a revolt.

Piano players can can suck it. Steinway is going to start putting out 61 and 73 key pianos soon and may eventually phase out the 88's. Hell, they may even make they 61 key model semi-weighted!*

They should suffer like I'm going to suffer with this freaking RH3 keybed. More gigging keyboard players play semi-weighted than weighted...

* denotes sarcasm. Steinway is sticking with the successful 88 key hammer action keybed... for now.

• Members

Thanks Med for that comparison. If anything, it further backs up that a 73 key weighted doesn't make sense.

For me, I hated the 73 semi-weighted keys decision as opposed to the 76 semi-weighted on the Tritons and OASYS. Eliminating 3 keys and changing the keybed to C scale sucked and killed the M3 for ever being a primary board. So when it comes to the Kronos,
if I'm
stuck
with weighted keys, I might as well get as many as possible.

Welcome McHale. The last statement in your reply is exactly what I was trying to say.

Remember when I suggested you get the 73 instead of the 61 in some other thread? I wanted to go back on that and advise you to get the 88 instead, but I didn't want to drive you nuts, lol.

Man I'm happy for you for getting the 88. Congrats!:thu:

• Members

Remember when I suggested you get the 73 instead of the 61 in some other thread? I wanted to go back on that and advise you to get the 88 instead, but I didn't want to drive you nuts, lol.

Man I'm happy for you for getting the 88. Congrats!
:thu:

Thanks again for your advice. Yep, the 88 was pre-ordered a while ago and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the Kronos.

• Members

I plan to get a Kronos upon availability after a test drive.

I'm somewhat conflicted on the 73 too. I've ALWAYS played 76 semi weighted keys.

I want to make the Kronos the "Main board" and controller for my rig. If I didn't like the 73 and got the 61 it doesn't make sense to put it on the top tier as the "master" and on the bottom as a 61 while my 76 key motif on top would look stupid. So I REALLY hope the RH3 is nice, and playable by not being to heavy an action. After 4 hours playing I don't know how forgiving my hands will be!

So where am I conflicted? Well, the 88 key is 8 inches longer and 6 more pounds. That itself is not really a big deal. Though the price difference comes into play. and now that the middle board is also weighted the price differential between these boards makes less sense than EVER! Though just taking the weight into account, one might just say "What the hell and get the 88.

Guess we'll all see in a couple of months!

Archived