Are you getting a KRONOS?

Thorhead

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Does anyone know if the drum tracks can be transmitted out via midi to an external drum machine or does it require programming separate drum tracks?

Yes - you can control whether or not the drum track pattern is sent out via MIDI, and set the channel as desired.

• Members

Anybody know the name/s of the Japanese engineer/s who conceived the Kronos?

As with the OASYS, it was designed and conceived as a joint project between Korg R&D in California and Korg Inc. in Japan. Many of the players are still the same as they were when this article was written:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/the-making-the/Apr-05/7504

• Members

did anyone cancel their motif or fantom or m3 or pc3 purchase because of kronos?

No, but I am interested to see how the Kronos shakes up the workstation market in the future. If the Kronos is a hit -- and I think it will be -- it will also force Roland and Yamaha to think more in terms of advanced modeling and 'multiple synth engines' in future offerings. It's potentially a watershed moment, and I think it has a lot to do with the fact that software and desktop DAWs have been kicking workstations' asses for a few years now. What has Korg, Roland, and (hopefully) Yamaha looking over their shoulders is not so much each other, but the desktop computer and laptop. Ultimately that's what they're really up against.

So I'm glad that the workstation market isn't simply moving in the same direction it has been going for the past ten years -- i.e. 'new' romplers offering larger wave ROM and maybe a bigger display, without advanced parameters for sound creation.

If Korg can do a more refined in-house version of what Open Labs tried to do, something with a good interface and workflow where all of the parts play well together, then I can see it succeeding despite the popularity of computer based production. Kronos might even succeed in some ways that the DAW presently cannot, by offering a self-contained production solution that doesn't bog you down.

THAT's what I'm after.

• Members

zoink, agreed. Increasingly there's neither a technical nor interface reason why you couldn't "have it all" inside one, integrated unit. The sheer convenience of not having to deal with multiple instruments and hookups and control panels and the technology integration between it all will prove a huge step forward, once it's more pervasive.

At that point the competition will then be down to ingenuity and effectiveness of interface design (whomever establishes the best metaphors first, wins), and flexibility of the instrument (will it be possible to host software VSTs inside such a thing? that'd be a huge step).

Think it'll still be a few years yet before we can get the keyboard equivalent of Ableton live, Komplete, Sonar X1, Voyager all in one.

• Members

Basically what zoink said :)

If I can just use my DAW for recording and mixing I'm happy. I really hate working with anything but hardware when it comes to instruments. I really like stability and being able to take my sounds out of the studio.

Kudos to Korg for making something with a piano sound of this level of malleability and quality. I'm surprised that as of yet nobody has released an Ivory or Pianoteq quality piano module. I'd think that sort of thing would sell like hotcakes :idk:

Archived