Are you getting a KRONOS?

Thorhead

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Obvious looping negates modelling aspects.

Hmmmm, it does not explain your comment:

''Yamaha? Modelled? Nooooooo... CP-1 (if you're thinking about CP-1?) is not modelled at all :p Check this out: ''

Firing from the hip thar buddy... LOL ;-)

• Members

10 years is a long time for wishful thinking

:)

Haha. Okay, if you put it that way... I might get one, hm, next year or something - now is not the time to buy more hardware for me as I move around quite a bit. To be honest, though, I find the hype over this thing slightly amusing. I mean, come on, it's not the flaming second coming, it's a keyboard with a bunch of repackaged stuff from other keyboards, new and better acoustic / emulative sounds than last year's keyboards (as if that was a first...), and a new storage medium (SSD in this case). Like, yay. We've seen this thing a million times before, but people still go nuts over it. Sure, it's progress, but nothing radical.

I do like it, from what I know about it so far. The sound quality really seems to be there, and the whole thing is nicely done. And it's great value for money, apparently. I might get it some time. It's just not something I get very excited about. I get excited about stuff like Tone2's Gladiator 2, which sounds like nothing else and is actually fairly fresh new stuff (at least when it was new...) with a highly unique synthesis engine. This thing? It's just plain good, and what I'd expect from a new workstation in 2011 - nothing more, nothing less.

• Members

Hmmmm, it does not explain your comment:

''Yamaha? Modelled? Nooooooo... CP-1 (if you're thinking about CP-1?) is not modelled at all
:p
Check this out: ''

Firing from the hip thar buddy... LOL ;-)

Well, yes, the sound itself is not purely modelled. It's a hybrid, with emphasis on darned looped samples (sucky and cheapskatey). :cop:

• Members

Haha. Okay, if you put it that way... I might get one, hm, next year or something - now is not the time to buy more hardware for me as I move around quite a bit. To be honest, though, I find the hype over this thing slightly amusing. I mean, come on, it's not the flaming second coming, it's a keyboard with a bunch of repackaged stuff from other keyboards, new and better acoustic / emulative sounds than last year's keyboards (as if that was a first...), and a new storage medium (SSD in this case). Like, yay. We've seen this thing a million times before, but people still go nuts over it. Sure, it's progress, but nothing radical.

I do like it, from what I know about it so far. The sound quality really seems to be there, and the whole thing is nicely done. And it's great value for money, apparently. I might get it some time. It's just not something I get very excited about. I get excited about stuff like Tone2's Gladiator 2, which sounds like nothing else and is actually fairly fresh new stuff (at least when it was new...) with a highly unique synthesis engine. This thing? It's just plain
good,
and what I'd expect from a new workstation in 2011 - nothing more, nothing less.

hey, this is America. We celebrate the mediocre and admire marketing hype.

Think Super Bowl, the ads, budweiser and Ronald Reagan, government statistics.

Its what we are best at

:thu:

• Members
It's just another run-of-the-mill boring workstation that sounds bland and everything it can do can be done with a computer at 1/10 of the price so no, I am not getting a Kronos.

1/10 is only $300 :poke:

Why do people always leave the price of the computer out of the argument? $300 won't buy you much in the way of software, anyway :bor:

No, I am not buying a Kronos. I have too much time and $$$ invested in patches, samples and sequences for Yamaha gear to jump ship...just took delivery on an XF yesterday :thu:

BTW I also use software (Live, Melodyne, Absynth, A.C.E., Synplant) and I paid a lot more than $300 for it.

• Members

I am going to get one, most likely the 88 key version, and put it in the spot held by my RD700GX currently. The RD will then go into the living room until I can decide what to do about making a studio out of half of our basement. The basement already houses my son's drum set and xylophone and my Ion and a small amp for that (both on stands). Wife wants me to fix up the basement and make it into a studio but I just don't feel like going through the hassle either doing the work myself or hiring it out.

• Members

1/10 is only
$300
:poke:

Why do people always leave the price of the computer out of the argument? $300 won't buy you much in the way of software, anyway
:bor:

No,
I
am not buying a Kronos. I have too much time and $$$ invested in patches, samples and sequences for Yamaha gear to jump ship...just took delivery on an XF yesterday
:thu:

BTW I also use software (Live, Melodyne, Absynth, A.C.E., Synplant) and I paid a lot more than $300 for it.

Seriously!

A top of the line MacBook Pro is well into the 3k range. The software outside of that can easily run 1500 or more. Even if you steal the software you're talking about the same price for a less stable, non-dedicated piece of hardware.

You can certainly argue about the sound and sonic preferences (the Kronos has a modular synth inside it, so it seems about as limited as your imagination :idk:), but to claim that the Kronos isn't economical when compared to a computer + software is a mathematical fallacy.

PS, I usually HATE workstations, but in the case of the Kronos I authentically am finding myself defending it :freak:

• Members

My studio dump is already in progress -- I've sold my M50 and Ensoniq DP/4, and have a JX-8P and Polysix for sale (I'll get the Blofeld up soon, too, but am now thinking about holding onto my MKS-70) -- and I'm pretty sure I'll use the money to finance a Kronos 88 (and the extra space to fit it in), but I am still considering the possibility of getting a "last gen" flagship instead. Motif XS8s and M3-88s sometimes appear on my local craigslist for well under $2K, so that really might be the smarter move. But who am I kidding. I'll probably just get a Kronos 88.

• Members

Good point. I'm mean, really, I could probably get $350 MAX for it. Is that really worth it? And one should ALWAYS have some Waldorf in one's setup...

Personally, I'd sell it - and get the keyboard version. I love the look of that keyboard. 100% Design Splendidness. I desire one very much.

• Members

I'm waiting until I get to play one (several times, I suppose) before I start making decisions ... But I am VERY interested ...

It's too bad the sequencer isn't more involved, though ... but it will probably be enough ...

I'm thinking 73 key for me ... (although that will probably be the one they don't stock at GC ... )

• Members
1/10 is only
$300
:poke:

Why do people always leave the price of the computer out of the argument? $300 won't buy you much in the way of software, anyway
:bor:

Yup, but $300 will get you both a laptop and sound interface (if you go for used ones, admittedly). Aaand since everything is free on the internet I didn't take the software into account.

• Members

Yup, but $300 will get you both a laptop and sound interface (if you go for used ones, admittedly). Aaand since everything is free on the internet I didn't take the software into account.

A {censored}ty laptop and a {censored}ty sound interface.

Have fun with that :)

• Members

Well, that doesn't tell me much since I'm not very fond of how the OASYS sounds either.

Well then, you are beyond salvation. Go back to your shed with your $150 laptop which can't run all the latest (good sounding) softsynths and a noisy $150 audio interface. :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Members

Aaand since everything is free on the internet I didn't take the software into account.

If you were a simple {censored}ing thief or something, then true, I guess you wouldn't have to take the cost of software into account. Unless, of course, one only used legitimately free software with that $300 laptop and sound interface combo. But then, who would compare something like that to a synth like the Korg Kronos?

Archived