Are you getting a KRONOS?

Thorhead

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was fully gassed up for a Kronos, but have decided for now to hold off. I'm buying a used Nord Stage compact instead, for half the price of the 61 key Kronos. While there is really not a great comparison between the Stage and Kronos, the Stage will better serve my immediate need of replacing my aging Electro, give me a basic synth for layering and the few synth leads I use live, and give me an unweighted controller with a pitch bender to control sounds in my S90ES when I want to.

The Kronos is still very intriguing to me, and is on the short list of next purchases. What I'll probably do is replace my S90ES with the 76 key version in a year or so. By then the technology will have matured a bit and perhaps some other trickle down products will have developed, plus, the other keyboard makers will have to have an answer for the Kronos and perhaps there will be other products available that might serve my needs better.

I enjoy using the latest and greatest, but for the situation I'm in, there are many features on the Kronos that I don't really need. So backdated technology like the S70/90 XS is also an option for me.

• Members

I was fully gassed up for a Kronos, but have decided for now to hold off. I'm buying a used Nord Stage compact instead, for half the price of the 61 key Kronos. While there is really not a great comparison between the Stage and Kronos, the Stage will better serve my immediate need of replacing my aging Electro, give me a basic synth for layering and the few synth leads I use live, and give me an unweighted controller with a pitch bender to control sounds in my S90ES when I want to.

The Kronos is still very intriguing to me, and is on the short list of next purchases. What I'll probably do is replace my S90ES with the 76 key version in a year or so. By then the technology will have matured a bit and perhaps some other trickle down products will have developed, plus, the other keyboard makers will have to have an answer for the Kronos and perhaps there will be other products available that might serve my needs better.

I enjoy using the latest and greatest, but for the situation I'm in, there are many features on the Kronos that I don't really need. So backdated technology like the S70/90 XS is also an option for me.

This is strictly my opinion ( I have owned the XS Motif and other Korgs, plus the Rd700GX1).

With the Kronos, I will not need any of my romplers or stage pianos.

I consider this addition by subtraction. Much simpler.

• Members

Yes, a Kronos can replace an entire rig if you are using 1 controller and rack modules, but I have a definite need for more than 1 keyboard, so it can't replace that aspect of my rig.

I understand gigging keyboardists are attached to their boards.

My opinion is that the SGX-1 and EP-1 engines, for example, mostly duplicate and/or well exceed,

any other rompler.

Thus the potential for 1 keyboard. No rack modules.

• Members

for those who's getting a kronos, mind sharing why you are getting it ? I think many like me are still undecided and would like to know the reasons others are getting it

1. Those pianos and EPs are things you can only get with a computer, and I'm not ready to take a computer on stage at this point

2. Set lists

3. Those drum sounds are really tasty

4. Sequencer with 16 audio tracks will get me to do a lot of production inside this box

5. Those additive string sounds are the knees bees or bees knees or whatever :)

6. Audio quality is so superior to everything else (and while it hasn't come out yet, I'm basing that opinion on the Oasys)

7. Only hardware workstation out there with uncompressed samples

8. Quality components throughout (unlike my Alesis Fusion which while it sounds good, there's some cheap hardware in there like the volume pots that are always scratchy, the plastic output jacks, the power inlet which is also crap, etc. But I'm not getting rid of the Fusion either...)

9. This is not something Korg has promised yet, but I fully expect the sequencer to be brought up to the M3 specs - I intend to make heavy use of the sequencer

10. I think it's deep enough that you can come up with some very unique sounds even if everybody and their grandmother end up buying a Kronos

11. It integrated better than most software in a DAW (everything can be put in a combi and a set list, for example)

12. MOD7 sounds like the bomb and seems like it will keep me busy for years

13. Korg has a history of being a no-nonsense company and straight-forward with its customers, unlike some rivals who are all about marketing-speak (you know who that is ;))

14. Very importantly, digital ins means I can record vocals, guitars and basses to the audio tracks with my Lucid converter and that means high quality recordings

15. MS-20 seems like a lot of fun and PolySix too. Lots more features compared to the softsynth, and a good integration with the other engines. I just love that Polysix synth sound.

16. I'm sure there's other stuff I can't remember right now

And while we are at it... these are things I don't care about.

. I don't care much for Karma, don't plan on using it - I know it would just distract me. I don't use arpeggiators either. I'm all about MIDI sequencing, baby

. I think I'll really have to get to know AL-1 to see what I can come up with, but most AL-1 demos people have recorded really turned me off - too cold sounding. This is the main reason why I'm keeping the Fusion, its VA rocks hard. But if MS-20 and Polysix engines are really good and I can do all that I need, I might not use AL-1 or even the Fusion that much.

. Not the most tweakable interface, it seems just a bit down from the Oasys - but let's see how I get along with the touchscreen. I'm keeping the SH-201 as well just in case I feel like moving some knobs and sliders.

As a side note, I have seen a Korg Oasys 88 recently on our local Craigslist (with a local number, so I think it's legit) for 2,200 dollars :eek:

That's mighty tempting...

• Members

for those who's getting a kronos, mind sharing why you are getting it ? I think many like me are still undecided and would like to know the reasons others are getting it

You've gotten some great answers here. Oddly enough, my biggest reason for wanting a Kronos is the CX3 engine. I prefer it to the Nords or the Hammond XK1. I rarely bring my CX3 to a gig because (a) it's too heavy and (b) since it isn't also a rompler, it usually becomes a third keyboard for me over my 88 piano and something else to handle synths/brass/strings etc.. The Kronos solves both those problems... plus gives me cool stuff like the Set List function and the ability to load samples. So even before I hear any of its other sounds, it works for me. If the pianos, synths, etc. sound and operate as well as people expect, it will be a bonus! (As for the sequencer/workstation features, I don't actually have any need for any of that.) I do have a slight interest in checking out the Hammond SK1 as an alternative for "organ plus" functionality, and love the super light weight, but the Kronos obviously offers so much more.

I am reconsidering what weighted action board to put underneath, though (which may well be used to drive the piano sounds in the Kronos). I have a PX3, which weighs little and will work fine, though I'm not a big fan of its action. I was tempted by the Nord Stage 2 largely because of their sample library (along with just liking their whole interface and approach), but although their weighted action is good, I don't like it enough to justify how much pricier and heavier it is. Now the Yamaha MOX is tempting me, as a reasonably lightweight 88 that has more controller functions and better sounds than the PX3 and will probably have an action that I will like (I think they're using the same action as the P95, which would be fine). And Yamaha has tended to be particularly strong on the acoustic/orchestral kinds of sound where Korg has generally been weaker. I still like the sounds and functionality of that Stage 2 though, and have been going back and forth about getting a Compact version of that as well, in addition to a Kronos and whatever 88... it is a great board and there would be times it would be the ideal choice.

• Members

thanks CR. uncompressed samples - i must hear it for myself. I got so used to old romplers (like M1 or XP80) when I hear better samples of today such as from korg m50, my ears get irritated.

Yeah, well, I just sold my JV-2080 (XP80 in rack format) as of today, because compared to the Alesis Fusion (which has mostly uncompressed samples and real VA/FM sounds) it just sounded muddy... I used to like its "warmth" when I got it but now I just got annoyed with the sound...

So, everybody's different. I'm sure you'll have the chance to play one before buying...

• Members

More Kronos piano clips:

quFYuU7MbpA

Sounds good, BUT the damper resonance seems still a bit off to me. Any experiences on this if someone here has actually played the thing?

Any video material for the STR-1 engine?

• Members

Just like I can't imagine driving a car that doesn't have a stick and a clutch pedal [my left foot and right hand MUST feel those instinctively or I can't drive], I can't imagine myself playing a piano without the sustain pedal. He wasn't at ease: standing up, then sitting down, moving left and right, etc. He is using some kind of stool that appears to be too high, thus preventing him from using the sustain pedal when it needed to be used.

Also, the recording didn't sound truly stereophonic to my ears. I don't know, but *something* was missing in there. The first piano patch he played was my favorite though. But it can be tweaked to sound much better to the person's taste, I'm sure.

And something about videos that I am certain you all know but which is good to remind ourselves of: as much as I love'm, they will never ever replace the real thing: playing the instrument yourself. You and only you can decide whether the feel under your fingers is a good or a bad one. In my personal experience and taste, I noticed that my opinion of the piano sounds depends a lot on the feel of the keys, and vice versa.

I remember going to the store once to look for the Korg M50. I didn't like it for some reason [hard to explain] whereas when I watched videos about it, I was like "wow! I want it".

Anybody know when the Kronos will be available at Guitar Center? I know it will be like a line everyday, for weeks, waiting to touch it, but I'll be one of them. I have never played on an 88-note keybed that I truly loved [other than the only Steinway I ever played on while in college]. If I do on the Kronos, I'll probably rob a bank, buy one, and have more than enough time enjoying it before I'm thrown in jail... 2 days later [11 days if they have crappy cameras].

• Members

multi gigabyte uncompressed samples. it seems like, for those who wants high polyphony and good acoustic sounds, this kronos won't be obsolete for a long long time. unless... unless what? how will kronos be obsolete? curious to know. what can yamaha/kurz/roland come up with to make kronos obsolete ? i think this is a valid question for those who are still unsure whether they need kronos or not

• Members

There's really no such thing as an obsolete musical instrument. As long as it makes some kind of sound, and you have some kind of imagination, music can be made with it, and thus.... it is not obsolete.

We get to the point of having perfect, sampled, articulation-modelled emulations of acoustic instruments and, whaddya know, everyone will be craving that ol' E-Mu static-sampled sound as the latest craze, and E4s will be in high demand.

• Members

multi gigabyte uncompressed samples . . . how will kronos be obsolete? curious

the good thing about kronos is that its not just sample based. they have the korg legacy collection in there that runs algos and i image most of the stuff other than the hd-1 engine are like that.

you could compare pianoteq to alicia's keys is like 10mb vs 2 dvds + of samples. some mics, pres, and spaces add texture and character and nuanced, detailed modelling is hard to do on the fly. when a crystal clear piano is needed pianoteq might be better especially if you want to modulate properties of the strings, etc

neither approach is better or obsolete just different. trent reznor talks alot about layering "organic" or "textural" sounds over "clean" or "perfect" sounds and it won him an oscar. kronos is optimized for gigs in coding and portability compared to a laptop + external hdd + 61 key controller. plus a laptop would choke with equivalents of the 9 engines loaded for quick access.

• Members

I want to buy a Kronos because:

> I want to settle on a keyboard and customize it: patches, controller routings, etc. Most of that work is gone when I move onto the next board

> I want to settle on a keyboard and learn it inside and out- luckily the M3 is very close to the Kronos in many ways, so I'll have a head start

> I want a Piano/EP/Organ experience on a par with my Nord Stage 88, and have other sounds easily available; of course I'm assuming I'll love the playing experience of the Kronos as much I do my Stage

> I want a composing/sound designing/gigging board, a number one axe that most of my creative input is going to. I'll always have 2 boards, but #1 board needs to do it all and be fully capable, by itself, on a gig

> I want the engines on the Kronos! Very tired of romplers!

> I want the 16 audio tracks and 4 trk simultaneous record of the Kronos! Of course that depends on how well its implemented in conjunction with the sequencer

> And of course I want all the fabulous features, like seamless transitions and the set list. For a hardware guy like me, this is a game changer!

But considering how broke I am right now, my next purchase would likely be an IPad that runs all kinds of crazy music apps- exciting times we live in!

• Members

You can't get a Solaris for 2,999... (or 2,799 I think is what some stores are discounting the Kronos 61)

I paid less than that for my Solaris preorder! That's only because I had faith in what it was going to end up becoming. I had no idea it would be this great though:love:

• Members

this kronos won't be obsolete for a long long time. unless... unless what?

Unless the hardware fails. Personally i'd have traded off a few features for build quality on this one, but then I don;t flip gear in a big way and prefer to work with a few 'keepers'.

Not really an issue for anyone that's going to sell it when the next big thing comes along.

Archived