Are you getting a KRONOS?

Thorhead

• Members

I'm not being paid to play, either, atm. But I can justify having an all-in-one that does most all what I need in a player's personal home studio. The Fusion was a step in the right direction, but this baby looks to take her direction, bump it up the next generation, all the while making it affordable. Acoustic pianos, for me, is a Holy Grail. Having subtractive synthesis, classy FX, alternative engines (plucked strings, FM, etc), performance considerations (keeping previous sound while changing patches, set lists, lots of MIDI controllers like sliders or knobs or onscreen control), computer integration, etc...

But I am definitely holding off until I hear enough user reviews, and ultimately, until I get personal one-on-one time with the Kronos. But yeah, why not go with a "less is more" solution, if it fits the musical needs...?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Zombie thread lives!

I'm reviving it to let you know that we've posted some new audio demos on www.korg.com/kronos. Click on "Hear Kronos" and you'll see a big list of demos, covering tons of sonic ground. These new demos were played by none other than Jack Hotop, our Senior Voicing Manager. They're streaming MP3s, but we also made them available as downloadable 24-bit WAV files, resampled within Kronos, with no additional conversion.

We've got a couple more in the works, specifically for SGX-1. I'll let you know when we've posted them.

Thanks!

-Rich

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I am enjoying my Microstation, my Microsampler, and my brand new Juno Gi, which I have played and only enjoyed some presets. The Kronos holds the same allure for me that the OASYS does/did. If somebody gave me one, I would treasure it but for me it does not fit my Budget much a the Fantom G7 did not. If I could have something next it would be the M3-73 no question.

• Members

If I could have something next it would be the M3-73 no question.

I can give you a hell of a deal on mine *AND* I'm passing through your state this weekend. It's fully loaded, it was only used a few hours, and was talked to lovingly the entire time it's been with me. :)

• Members

Nova Musik stated on their Facebook page Monday at 2:30 CST that the Kronos is going to be shipping any day now.

I wish that were true but I think someone's on crack...

I can't believe that anybody would take this kind of lazy misinformation seriously- but then I go to the Kronos forum and there are the posts harping on April delivery

( head shaking emoticon)

• Members

I also think the piano action on the P95 is quite good, better than the action on the PX3, possibly better than RH3 (I haven't had the chance to play them side by side to be sure).

I've owned P60 (has same action as P95) and korg SP250 (RH3). I prefer the P60 touch. RH3 feels "very wide and deep", tiring after awhile.

• Members

I can give you a hell of a deal on mine *AND* I'm passing through your state this weekend. It's fully loaded, it was only used a few hours, and was talked to lovingly the entire time it's been with me.
:)

Thanks so much dude for the offer. I just bought the Juno Gi so I am broke, but for $900, I would of purchased the M3--73 instead.

• Members

I'm currently undecided. I can afford one, but I already have one workstation that I don't take full advantage of. I think one of the things that could convince me to buy one is how the virtual MS-20 compares against a real MS-20. I've been wanting to buy a real one for quite some time for doing ambient and drone type stuff.

Anyone care to convince me that the Kronos MS-20 is superior to a real one?

• Members
for those who's getting a kronos, mind sharing why you are getting it ? I think many like me are still undecided and would like to know the reasons others are getting it

Well, personally I was never so inspired as when I had a week to play around with an M3 and Karma. The sound was amazing and expressive and I popped out the basics of 30 tunes in a matter of days. Now you deliver me a machine that can do that and THEN you add in the best parts of the Legacy Collection, a HUGE killer piano sample-table/engine PLUS the incredible articulation of the SV-1's EPs, the CX-3 B3 emulation and give it the sonic sheen of the Oasys as well as the simplicity of the Korg GUI on a touchscreen, 16 audio tracks and all the interfacing that modern musos demand with regards to their DAWS and what's NOT to love?

I also am tired of fighting to get all of my disparate synths and sonic elements to play nice together in the studio. AND I'm tired of having to haul at minimum 3 boards to a gig to accurately cover my sonic needs. Now you wrap it up in ONE machine and add SETLIST mode (THANKYOU Korg!) and it's a slam-dunk for me.

This concept of combining many forms of sound reproduction together was light years ahead of everybody else back when the Oasys first debuted but was prohibitively expensive. Finally it is within reach and I for one can't wait to fork over my money. To those who say "well you haven't heard or played it yet!", I say if it sounds like the Oasys (which it should) and feels like the M3 keybed (which it should) I'll be a happy camper. And I feel confident that it will on BOTH counts. Too many highly regarded pro players and programmers have been involved with this for it to fail.

The M1 opened the door to all-in-one production and 20-odd years later my synth/workstation prayers have finally been answered. Of course this is all just my opinion, your mileage may vary! :lol:

• Members

Like Mididoc, my experiences with the M3 have already convinced me to get the Kronos. Of all the workstations I own, the M3 has the best work flow for me, and I like their synth action keybeds. I expect the Kronos to be that much better with the larger touch screen, multiple synthesis engines, and feature-rich sequencer/DAW.

I think it's a really smart move on Korg's part to make a more affordable Oasys. Anticipation is running high. I'm already seeing ads on Craigslist where people are saying outright that they're selling gear to buy a Kronos.

And let's face it, if you can pack Porsche performance into a Nissan price tag, the world will beat a path to your door.

• Members

16 MS-20's is a good start, can you do the unintended patching in it like you can with the real one? Specifically, can external audio be patched into the MS-20 inputs?

I'm already considering the 88 key Kronos, I have 5 61 key synths and a 49 key already, I need a full size. Come on McHale, sell me on this.

(posted from my iPhone under the influence of alcohol.)

• Members

16 MS-20's is a good start, can you do the unintended patching in it like you can with the real one? Specifically, can external audio be patched into the MS-20 inputs?

Yes, you can patch external audio into the synth section - as well as using the "ESP" (External Signal Processor) section's pitch and envelope detection to generate control signals.

• Members

Anyone care to convince me that the Kronos MS-20 is superior to a real one?

I'll leave qualitative judgements to others, but the OASYS/KRONOS MS-20EX has a number of new features compared to both the original and the Legacy software:

MS-20EX

* Modifications to the Patch Panel, including separate access to VCOs 1 & 2, LPF, HPF, BPF, and VCA (see jpg; red jacks are new)

* Two patchable 2-in, 1-out audio-rate mixers, for combining and scaling audio and control signals

* Four additional multi-stage envelopes (in addition to the original MS-20 HADSR and DAR envelopes)

* Four additional LFOs (in addition to the original MS-20 MG and sample-and-hold)

* Modulation of all original MS-20 parameters (usually with two mod sources: main source + intensity mod source; see jpg)

* Four AMS Mixers (modulation processors: curvature, quantize, gate etc.)

Plus standard EXi Program-level sources:

* Two four-segment keytrack generators (parameters at Program level, shared between EXi 1/2, but calculated per voice)

* Additional "common" (single source shared by all voices in Program) LFO, Step Sequencer, Vector envelope CCs

Archived