ARRRRRGH! My Les Paul Fell Over

Rayneman

• Members

It finally happened. Like a dumbass I rested my beloved alpine white studio against a swivelling office-type chair (yep, I said I was a dumbass) while I did something...I looked over and it fell over, twisted and landed face down on my basement floor, which is carpet, but not really padded. At the moment I just assumed nothing really happened unless part of it hit a pedal or whatever and took out a chunk. I pick it up, and notice this on the back of the headstock and neck:

HeadstockBack.JPG

Headstock-NeckSide.JPG

Pics suck, camera sucks.

Its not broken off, but the crack looks bad.

I immediately detuned the strings and now I am devastated. I've got some messages out to some local luthiers at the moment and am anxiously waiting to hear back.

Anyone ever have this happen? Is it repairable? Have I destroyed my guitar?I just can't believe it happened...it wasn't like it fell very hard or far!

This was my only non-trem guitar!!!! In my grief (and temporary insanity) I already purchased another guitar, but this Les Paul is one of my favorites!

CHECK THE NEW PHOTO

IMG_5314.JPG

I gave my busted up LP to forumite Facefirst, and he gave me back THIS! HA! Thanks Geoff. Perfect repair, perfect refinish. Looking at every angle and lighting possible I cannot tell there was ever any damage.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

{censored} yeah thats repairable, its also extremely common with gibsons. Glue that sumbitch back together and it will probably be stronger than it was. :p

You should see my PRS that my lutheir put back together after I smashed it. You can put just about anything back together with enough glue. :D

• Members

{censored} yeah thats repairable, its also extremely common with gibsons. Glue that sumbitch back together and it will probably be stronger than it was.
:p

You should see my PRS that my lutheir put back together after I smashed it. You can put just about anything back together with enough glue.
:D

thanks!

I do seem to recall a lefty PRS that someone smashed all to hell awhile ago... remember cringing at the pics...that was probably yours as I think you're a southpaw.

• Members

Definatly repairable, and like it was said, it's very common with gibsons. The other guitarist in my band used to do repair work and saw a ton of them. It's actually easier if it was broken all the way. . . since now they'll probably have to break it off to fix it right. I guess they can just cram it with glue, but it's not the same thing.

-W

• Members

My buddy, Dan Johnson, repairs/builds guitars out of Akron. Currently I'm learning to build and repair from in and will eventually be working there. At any rate, his work is top notch and he's built and repaired guitars for many big name bands as well as done tech work for them. If you're interested, let me know and I'll put you in contact.

• Members

I feel for you man! Not too long ago I had my LP Classic plus around my neck, headed downt he seller steps to do some jamming and the {censored}TY DUNLOP straplocks let go. There she went directly on the cement floor. I got lucky though. The headstock didn't snap off or ever crack. It took a little chuck out of the lower back of the body and dented in a corner of the back of the headstock and bent a tuning key. I was just relieved that the headstock didn't snap. That was the last of the Dunlop straplocks for me. If I could have sued them I would have. I switch all my guitars to Schallers and I go new direct replacement Kluson locking tuners. The guitar stays in tune better than ever.

• Members

My buddy, Dan Johnson, repairs/builds guitars out of Akron. Currently I'm learning to build and repair from in and will eventually be working there. At any rate, his work is top notch and he's built and repaired guitars for many big name bands as well as done tech work for them. If you're interested, let me know and I'll put you in contact.

Hey, thanks for the heads up. I might ask you about that.

I've got some feelers out based on some suggestions I recieved already. Everyone seems to be out east or Akron way, but whatever.

• Members

Hey, thanks for the heads up. I might ask you about that.

I've got some feelers out based on some suggestions I recieved already. Everyone seems to be out east or Akron way, but whatever.

Yeah let me know. I'm in Lakewood but I go down there 3 times a week. I'm currently building a crazy Tele.

• Members

I dropped my Gibson Explorer one time and it landed right on the end of the headstock( where the gibson logo is) and bounced right back up in my hands.

NO BULL{censored}, I have witnesses. Did'nt do a damm thing to it except put a small dent in her. It was crazy:freak:

• Members

Back in 1974 a drunk knocked my 1952 Les paul off of its stand.

It fell fretboard down on the hardwood floor and the headstock broke off.

I felt like killing that drunk SOB. :mad:

The fellow that fixed it did a outstanding job, but if you look very close a little bit of the crack can be seen.

I can still see that Guitar falling in slow motion and crashing too the floor. :cry:

Archived