What amp do I build for myself? You decide!

JamesPeters

• Members

I'm torn between making myself a Chimera or a Polaris. The frosted side of me and the unfrosted side of me are fighting with each other. Settle this for them, please.

1) Chimera. Also, I will have to get pickups to make my guitars more suitable for metal, and possibly order a second speaker cabinet for the job. This means I will be a coffee drinker, will resort to punching myself in the face when I'm angry, listen to Exodus 24/7, and wear nothing but black clothing.

2) Polaris. This means I will drink green tea with jasmine, laugh when faced with challenges, listen to Led Zeppelin 24/7, and wear a combination of bell bottom pants and tie dyed shirts.

Decide!!!!!111!one!! God knows I can't.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm torn between making myself a Chimera or a Polaris. The frosted side of me and the unfrosted side of me are fighting with each other. Settle this for them, please.

1) Chimera. Also, I will have to get pickups to make my guitars more suitable for metal, and possibly order a second speaker cabinet for the job. This means I will be a coffee drinker, will resort to punching myself in the face when I'm angry, listen to Exodus 24/7, and wear nothing but black clothing.

2) Polaris. This means I will drink green tea with jasmine, laugh when faced with challenges, listen to Led Zeppelin 24/7, and wear a combination of bell bottom pants and tie dyed shirts.

Decide!!!!!111!one!! God knows I can't.

Wtf.

Seriously man.

It's either you're gonna be metal or a hippie.

Don't make the wrong choice.

M/:madM/

• Members
Why not build both?

Damn you're fast.

I can only build one for now. I have a budget too. :) Also I have to focus my efforts/playing style on one thing, as silly as that sounds. To be good enough at my playing style either way, I sort of have to become obsessive about it. I was kidding around in that first post, but there's a ring of truth to it.

• Members

make a 2 channel--switchable between the 2 styles . ?

The new format is: you choose an overdrive channel, you get a clean channel (based on the Halo). No two overdrive channels. Besides, I WANT a clean channel no matter what. :) Also, if I decide on the Chimera I'm going to set it up for a more focused sound using tubes which make sense for that. And if I make a Polaris, I'm going to set it up with tubes that make it sound more loose and warm. I'll also be making my guitars lean more towards one sound or the other by putting suitable pickups in them. Having both channels in one amp doesn't make sense no matter how I slice it.

The good thing is I can build a Chimera and use an OD pedal with the clean channel to get similar sounds to the Polaris. Or I can build a Polaris and use an OD pedal to get sounds similar to the Chimera.

Again, tough choice...

• Members

I should also mention that Adam has the Polaris prototype and will be getting a head soon. He will be providing clips, as he has so graciously has done for the Halo and Gryphon (and WarHawk but I won't talk about those, lol). :) To have someone else like Adam around to make clips of the Chimera would be super but I have to face the fact most people don't have the time or wherewithal in general to make clips on a regular basis. So to promote the Chimera effectively I might have to pick up the ball; people want to hear clips with different settings, guitars and so on, and hear new ones every so often too, so I can't just rely on a customer for that.

I might be changing my setup soon...

• Members
I voted for "Chimera. Eat/breathe/poop metal, evar. The end."

Keep in mind James that if you own one of your amps, you'll no longer be taken seriously as a builder. Most "boutique" builders can't afford to own one of their own amps.
:D

This will be the...(had to think about it)...fourth time I've owned one of my own amps. Perhaps this time I'll refuse to sell it when someone walks in and offers me "cash right now" for it. :)

• Members

Polaris. If I were to critique your designs, James, I'd say they're too high gain (that said, they're not buzzing white-noise by any stretch). From what I've heard of the Polaris, it's as high gain as I personally would ever need or want to hear. So that's my vote.

• Members

Plexi clone?

Sorry...had to be done.
:D

I made an ad! :D

THE POLARIS

It isn't just your dad's old Plexi...

tricksey_guitar_eater.jpg

It's vintage tone/feel with twice the gain...

cat_guitar.jpg

• Members

Hey James, I'm going through this myself, trying to find all the right circuits to fill up an 8 12ax7 and 6 EL-34/6L6 sockets, along with 18 knobs on the front panel as well. My plan is to make a 3 channel amp with at least 2 selectable modes on each channel, 3 sets of independent controls for those channels, thats alot of real estate to fill!

Archived