What amp do I build for myself? You decide!

JamesPeters

• Members

By the way James,

I was going to vote "Polaris" (because I think Polar Bears are teh R4P3 Sausage),...But then I read your first post again. You're already a Vegetarian. You don't need to go any MORE Hippy than you already are on us. "Chimera", in that case. :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
By the way James,

I was going to vote "Polaris" (because I think Polar Bears are teh R4P3 Sausage),...But then I read your first post again. You're already a Vegetarian. You don't need to go any MORE Hippy than you already are on us. "Chimera", in that case.
:)

You know what? You're right. Polar Bears are teh R4P3 Sausage!

To hell with this poll. POLARIS BABY!!!

• Members

...Why not go in-between with the Gryphon ?

That was exactly why I chose the Gryphon. More focused than the Polaris, and more versatile than the Chimera. No wait,...that was too serious of a response for this thread,...

Actually I chose the Gryphon primarily because I like the Logo better. And I also read some mythology story where the Gryphon basically PWN3D a Dragon and a Chimera in a 3 way cage match. Let me find it,.......

Here it is

http://www.mythicalrealm.com/creatures/aerie.html

"The Gryphon (and the many spellings there of) is a fabulous beast with the characteristics of two of the most noble of beasts ~ the lion and the eagle. It is most easily recognized as a eagle having the hindquarters of a lion.

Once upon an ancient time, three mythical creatures engaged in mortal combat in the skies above the world: the dragon, the chimera and the gryphon. The dragon used fire and his ability to fly to crushing effect, while the chimera looked in all directions at once with his many heads, appearing an invincible enemy. The gryphon watched his two foe for a long time, seeking out their strengths and weaknesses. At last he engaged in conflict. Using his wit and intelligence he lured the dragon into the depths of the ocean where his fire was extinguished forever. Burrowing through the earth beneath the chimera, the gryphon attacked from the one direction the chimera had not expected. The chimera never recovered from the surprise and was easily vanquished. In this way a creature thought much smaller and weaker than its adversaries won a great victory!"

The Gryphon i5 teh BR3WT4L R4P3R of No0Bs

• Members
That was exactly why I chose the Gryphon. More focused than the Polaris, and more versatile than the Chimera. No wait,...that was too serious of a response for this thread,...

Actually I chose the Gryphon primarily because I like the Logo better. And I also read some mythology story where the Gryphon basically PWN3D a Dragon and a Chimera in a 3 way cage match. Let me find it,.......

Here it is

http://www.mythicalrealm.com/creatures/aerie.html

"The Gryphon (and the many spellings there of) is a fabulous beast with the characteristics of two of the most noble of beasts ~ the lion and the eagle. It is most easily recognized as a eagle having the hindquarters of a lion.

Once upon an ancient time, three mythical creatures engaged in mortal combat in the skies above the world: the dragon, the chimera and the gryphon. The dragon used fire and his ability to fly to crushing effect, while the chimera looked in all directions at once with his many heads, appearing an invincible enemy. The gryphon watched his two foe for a long time, seeking out their strengths and weaknesses. At last he engaged in conflict. Using his wit and intelligence he lured the dragon into the depths of the ocean where his fire was extinguished forever. Burrowing through the earth beneath the chimera, the gryphon attacked from the one direction the chimera had not expected. The chimera never recovered from the surprise and was easily vanquished. In this way a creature thought much smaller and weaker than its adversaries won a great victory!"

The Gryphon i5 teh BR3WT4L R4P3R of No0Bs

:D

• Members

This is about my personal preference versus what the customers might want. I want a Polaris, but people also seem to want Chimera clips.

Understood.

1.) Be Selfish and build a Polaris for yourself.

or

2.) Put the Polaris off for a bit, and build a Chimera so you can get more clips out to people who are interested.

Tough One.

I also have a feeling that if you had some Gryphon clips made to sound a bit more aggressive,...some people might not think the Extra Gain on the Chimera is needed. That just comes from my feeling that some people here keep thinking your amps are lower gain than they really are. But maybe I'm just crazy.

• Members
I also have a feeling that if you had some Gryphon clips made to sound a bit more aggressive,...some people might not think the Extra Gain on the Chimera is needed. That just comes from my feeling that some people here keep thinking your amps are lower gain than they really are. But maybe I'm just crazy.

That's true. I just don't feel like making clips of that when there are a lot of customers who own the Gryphon and clips of that design should be happening soon by them anyway. And if they don't want to listen to me when I explain that the Gryphon can be more aggressive, they usually listen after they hear the Chimera clip and say "whoa...I don't know, that sounds a bit too metal for me". :)

I can also focus my efforts on making clips of the Polaris, as is and boosted, to show more of what it can do.

• Members
That's true. I just don't feel like making clips of that when there are a lot of customers who own the Gryphon and clips of that design should be happening soon by them anyway. And if they don't want to listen to me when I explain that the Gryphon can be more aggressive, they usually listen after they hear the Chimera clip and say "whoa...I don't know, that sounds a bit too metal for me".
:)

I can also focus my efforts on making clips of the Polaris, as is and boosted, to show more of what it can do.

Ah, so That's why you put so much gain on that clip. To scare people away from it, who aren't "M3T4L" Enough. :D

I didn't mean you should build a Gryphon(aside from mine of course). That was just me thinking out loud. I, Personally think you should build the Polaris. For two reasons: YOU prefer it for yourself, and I can't wait to hear what else that thing can do.

The Chimera would most likely have a narrower spectrum of interest than the Polaris. So it would be good to hear a variety of different clips of what the Polaris can do. Seams like clips would benefit the Polaris more. Being more responsive to different gear/players and all. Could really help show the versatility. And let's face it,....You're More "Hippy" than "M3T4L". You'll sound better through the Polaris. :)

• Members

I'm actually surprised this poll is a "dead heat". Let it be known that HC isn't just for metalheads. :)

I guess I'll make a Polaris for myself. I'll also use a boost pedal (probably my OD-3 which I'm modding to remove the "splat") to showcase how it can sound that way too. I still have the Chimera prototype and I was planning on discombobulating it, but I'll keep it around and do the odd clip with my existing setup if need be.

• Members
The Polaris clips sound awesome!
:thu:
Could a pedal be used to make it more modern / tighter sounding also and if so what ones might work? Thanks!

I'm glad you like it. :)

Sure a pedal can be used to make it more modern/tight sounding and add the gain which seems to be expected of modern high gain amps. What ones? Um...lots? :) Personal preference will be the thing that determines your choice. I picked the Boss OD-3 since it had the nicest character (for my tastes, of the pedals I've tried) to add gain to make the clean channel more suited for classic OD, and also to boost the Polaris for a higher gain sound (which is more like Satriani's live sounds used to be). I'm modifying it to remove the "splat" though since that's one aspect of the OD-3 which I'm not particularly happy with. (It's an easy mod as long as you're comfortable taking the pedal apart, because it's only a few components to change.)

I also know the Crispy Cream Treble Booster sounds wicked with my amps to add more modern gain in a natural sounding way. I learned that at Kage's place a couple years ago, trying it with a JP-50 on its different voicings.

I should also mention...I might be making an OD pedal for this purpose, to make the Polaris sound "heavy", similar to the Chimera if possible. If it works out, I'll make it available for sale.

Archived