What amp do I build for myself? You decide!

JamesPeters

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I'm torn between making myself a Chimera or a Polaris. The frosted side of me and the unfrosted side of me are fighting with each other. Settle this for them, please.

1) Chimera. Also, I will have to get pickups to make my guitars more suitable for metal, and possibly order a second speaker cabinet for the job. This means I will be a coffee drinker, will resort to punching myself in the face when I'm angry, listen to Exodus 24/7, and wear nothing but black clothing.

2) Polaris. This means I will drink green tea with jasmine, laugh when faced with challenges, listen to Led Zeppelin 24/7, and wear a combination of bell bottom pants and tie dyed shirts.

Decide!!!!!111!one!! God knows I can't.

You need a Fuchs.:o

• Members

Adam, that's the cutest thing ever. :)

Dan, yeah I know what you mean. That's personal preference of course, and it's my general personal preference too.

"Indespise" - I certainly can't expect you to make clips of the amp over and over but if you provide enough to get the point across, that would sure help me make up my mind. :)

As for the thought of putting 3 channels in one amp, please read the first few posts on this thread that I made, on page 1. What I said about my own thoughts on the issue should be exactly what others think about it, because it makes perfect sense. What sort of player are you, and what is your gear suited to; that will make your decision. (IOW, you don't use an EMG loaded Ibanez with a modern high gain sound and then switch to a classic OD channel expecting it to sound like AC/DC; it just doesn't happen. Let alone tubes, speaker cabs, etc.)

I can also add this: No one amp does every sound perfectly. Getting a wicked OD (whichever you choose) plus a wicked clean channel, that's something I can do at a price which makes sense in a format which makes sense (at the quality I deliver). That being said if you insist I make a completely hand wired, high quality, three channel amp, I will do it--if you will pay what it costs (and no it won't be the same price as my current amps or lower); yes it will cost a LOT. :D

• Members

I like lots of tea and coffee. Of course Plant drank Earl Grey; look where he's from. :) Bigalow is a good brand for things that work well in teabags like Earl Grey and so forth, but when it comes to Chinese and Japanese teas it's looseleaf all the way. Jasmine green tea (Chinese) is what I drink most often.

I'm sort of surprised there's this much interest in the Polaris here. Must be that the modern high gain guys are more vocal on the forums, and the guys interested in more subtle or classic gain sounds tend to lurk more than post.

• Members

I like lots of tea and coffee. Of course Plant drank Earl Grey; look where he's from.
:)
Bigalow is a good brand for things that work well in teabags like Earl Grey and so forth, but when it comes to Chinese and Japanese teas it's looseleaf all the way. Jasmine green tea (Chinese) is what I drink most often.

I'm sort of surprised there's this much interest in the Polaris here. Must be that the modern high gain guys are more vocal on the forums, and the guys interested in more subtle or classic gain sounds tend to lurk more than post.

I don't know... I like both sounds (into lots of different kinds of music)... I just know the polaris clips on the site sound extremely nice. :)

my ideal amp would consist of a very clean, chimey clean channel with a ton of headroom, an overdrive channel from light breakup to rock crunch, and a high-gain channel for punchy, tight metal. seems near impossible for me to ever find this though.

kinda sucks being into so many different kinds of music... almost forcing me to need two amps... bah. :(

• Members
I don't know... I like both sounds (into lots of different kinds of music)... I just know the polaris clips on the site sound extremely nice.

my ideal amp would consist of a very clean, chimey clean channel with a ton of headroom, an overdrive channel from light breakup to rock crunch, and a high-gain channel for punchy, tight metal. seems near impossible for me to ever find this though.

kinda sucks being into so many different kinds of music... almost forcing me to need two amps... bah.
:(

No matter what you're going to need two amps for this. The rest of your setup dictates this. And even so, your guitar will have to change to get the best of modern high gain or classic overdrive. So why should I put them both in one amp if it's only going to end up having a lot of that appeal lost anyway? I'd rather let people choose what they really want and be happy with it, at a price that makes sense.

• Members

No matter what you're going to need two amps for this. The rest of your setup dictates this. And even so, your guitar will have to change to get the best of modern high gain or classic overdrive. So why should I put them both in one amp if it's only going to end up having a lot of that appeal lost anyway? I'd rather let people choose what they really want and be happy with it, at a price that makes sense.

I wasn't complaining about your design... just talking... and yes, I know I need multiple guitars as well. thus why I just bought a tele

• Members

I wasn't complaining about your design... just talking... and yes, I know I need multiple guitars as well. thus why I just bought a tele

Having a tele for some of those sounds is only part of it. You can't just switch channels on the guitar to get the best classic sounds right next to the best modern high gain sounds, so why make one amp try to accomplish it either. Then you'll also want to use different tubes in the amp, possibly even biased differently, and quite likely different speaker cabs as well. That's the nature of the beast in situations like this. Either that or it's a half-assed approach at best, which gives half-assed results. That's what I'm saying. I didn't say you were complaining about my design, but I want to explain why I'm doing what I do because a few people have asked about this and I don't even see why.

• Members
Ah, well I see with your moniker, you'd know everything about how great an amp name's should sound eh?

Oh, I get it now. Like, DaBoogie...and Boogie? A clever retort! Actually, I think "Boogie" is a very cool sounding name for an amp. But hey...

Maybe you could name your amp "The Peter"? Just a thought. :wave:

Archived