UNLOCKING THE MYSTERY OF THE FRAMUS COBRA

guitarman967

• Members

I always thought the notch switch wasnt usable on the crunch channel, but I was wrong! Ive never been happy with my hellraisers bridge pup sound through the cobra, but I tried the notch engaged with the mids dimed and it sounds awesome, kinda master of puppets tone, boosting the mids is essential. I just hope it stands up well in a band situation cause its sounds killer cranked by itself!!

Really cool man..I heard that Dimebag on the Forum does this too..

I've never had much success with the NOTCH switch myself but I've been meaning to try it more with the MIDS cranked up.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the amp is pretty versatile, but with my playing style i basically find what i like on each of the 3 channels and that's where it stays...i set it to where (to my ears) i get the best from each channel

that's not to say that's all the amp can do, but i find that when i set it how i like it that i just dig the tone so much i don't wanna mess with it...it's a very friendly amp if you wanna roll your guitar volume back to clean it up, and at the same time it takes boosts well; if you're into either/both of those you can do quite a bit more with the amp

I've got to get some of my lower gain stuff up on here..I dont think anyone would guess its the Cobra.

Its more versatile than most would think. Still I look at it as a Metal/rock amp

• Members

HUH?

You probably weren't very happy with my original comment in this thread stating that everything you has said up until that point was advice that could apply to any amp and is fairly obvious once you start dialing in amps. I'm sure the thread has been more specific since, but I do think I made a comment ot the effect, "The presence knob effects the treble character and tightness? Different speakers and different guitars sound different? No {censored}?" which probably wasn't that nice and didn't sit all that well with you. Hence your assumption Iw as being a prik in the JVM thread.

• Members
I don't think the stock Hellraiser sounds good through anything. EMGs just did not sound right in mine. Much better with passives. I usually like EMGs but they sounded horrible in my hellraiser.

Yeah, I was coming to the same conclusion, the neck pup sounds great but something wasnt right with the bridge tone - however dialling the cobra like I said (notch engaged, mids dimed) changed that! I still may change the bridge pup, but if this tone works in a band situation it'll be awesome :thu:

• Members

You probably weren't very happy with my original comment in this thread stating that everything you has said up until that point was advice that could apply to any amp and is fairly obvious once you start dialing in amps. I'm sure the thread has been more specific since, but I do think I made a comment ot the effect, "The presence knob effects the treble character and tightness? Different speakers and different guitars sound different? No {censored}?" which probably wasn't that nice and didn't sit all that well with you. Hence your assumption Iw as being a prik in the JVM thread.

Its all good man and I certainly dont hold any grudges. I'm here to learn and everyone's opinion is valid to me as long as they have an open mind..

I know alot of people think that the controls are the same on every amp but they would be mistaken in this case.

Its usually the people who have never ever tried the amp that love to chime in.

As far as I'm concerned we're Cool man:thu:

• Members

Its all good man and I certainly dont hold any grudges. I'm here to learn and everyone's opinion is Valid as long as they have an open mind..

I know alot of people think that the controls are the same on every amp but I think they're mistaken and its usually the people who have never ever tried the amp that love to chime in.

As far as I'm concerned You're Cool in my book:thu:

Yeah my criticism here was basically that the initial post wasn't providing what was advertised-- advice that I felt was all that unique to the Cobra. Since then some people have chimed in wiht more specific, more useful advice, IMO, so it ended up working out well here.

I can't stay mad at anyone/anything for more than a couple of hours, it's just not how I am, and I never was really that mad, so don't worry.

• Members

Yeah my criticism here was basically that the initial post wasn't providing what was advertised-- advice that I felt was all that unique to the Cobra. Since then some people have chimed in wiht more specific, more useful advice, IMO, so it ended up working out well here.

I can't stay mad at anyone/anything for more than a couple of hours, it's just not how I am, and I never was really that mad, so don't worry.

Well what can you do.. The Cobra guys knew what I was saying and that's all that matters

• Members

Wait...what exactly were you saying???

Dude I'm {censored}ing stoked for our mini amp thing!

Oh Hell ya dude.. I'd go as far as say an ampfest...

3 Cobra's/Diezel herbert/Marshall JVM/Pearce G2R

TONS of Other crap too...

Hey I was thinking maybe we could hit a show. Theres a Badass Slipknot Cover band playing. The drummer was in one of my prior Bands.

Also, Maybe we could shoot down to ZING studios for a bit and Learn about some recording stuff maybe talk to Adam D for a while if he's in

• Members

Just ignore the haters ;)

I read so many opinions of amps from people on here saying things like "I can't get tight palm mutes with this amp", or "doesn't have enough gain for metal" and I instantly have to wonder what sort of player we're actually listening to opinions from? There are lots of guys trying out amps I've seeen in stores that couldn't play very well at all. Do I think those same guys might pull the internet expert routine without disclosing that very important fact? YES.

;)

• Members
Just ignore the haters
;)

I read so many opinions of amps from people on here saying things like "I can't get tight palm mutes with this amp", or "doesn't have enough gain for metal" and I instantly have to wonder what sort of player we're actually listening to opinions from? There are lots of guys trying out amps I've seeen in stores that couldn't play very well at all. Do I think those same guys might pull the internet expert routine without disclosing that very important fact? YES.

;)

Totally man.. Everything I've bought because of what I heard on HC has turned out to be very different than what I was expecting.

• Members

I always thought the notch switch wasnt usable on the crunch channel, but I was wrong! Ive never been happy with my hellraisers bridge pup sound through the cobra, but I tried the notch engaged with the mids dimed and it sounds awesome, kinda master of puppets tone, boosting the mids is essential. I just hope it stands up well in a band situation cause its sounds killer cranked by itself!!

That's how I used to eq my Cobra when I first bought....those are how my cobra clips were done. Now that I've had the amp for a while I dig it way more with the notch off. Mids around 2:00.

• Members

That's how I used to eq my Cobra when I first bought....those are how my cobra clips were done. Now that I've had the amp for a while I dig it way more with the notch off. Mids around 2:00.

Cool to hear Keith. I've found that you can get much better scooped sounds anyways with the MIDS at 9:00 and the NOTCH off.

So, yes the NOTCH is basically worthless to me, a bona fide suck button

• Members
Totally man.. Everything I've bought because of what I heard on HC has turned out to be very different than what I was expecting.

someone on here made a post about this very subject, that was really spot on, something to the affect of

one man's bite is another man's harsh

one man's smooth is another man's dull

one man's agressive is another man's nasally

one man's thick is another man's muddy

one man's CLEAR!! is another's too dry...not enough GAINZ!!! :D

etc.

i think we all generally want to get certain things out of most amps, we're always trying to get the tone in our head, so we tend to dial stuff in to sound similar, you're always trying to sound like you...and some amps are gonna do that better than others, even if they can sound great in the hands of someone else, not all amps are gonna sound like you

if that makes sense at all :freak:

btw soulcrusher, if you like the quickrod i think you'd dig the cobra...of course guitarman has a cobra and didn't care for the QR either

• Members
btw soulcrusher, if you like the quickrod i think you'd dig the cobra...of course guitarman has a cobra and didn't care for the QR either

Cool, man. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one. These high, winter heating bills are killing me though. :mad: I do in fact really like my QR, but sometimes I wish the clean was 'cleaner', I had another channel and some more gain, but clear tone at the same time. Think the Cobra will fit that bill?

• Members

i think the cobra crunch channel, and quickrod gear 2 are quite similar...the clean on the cobra is just awesome; they're not the same by any means but in a band situation i could easily use either of those for my main heavy rhythm sound

the lead channel has more gain a bit more compression than the quickrod does overall, but it's really voiced for playing lead stuff moreso than rhythm...if you're specifically wanting a more saturated rhythm sound, i'm not sure the cobra would be what you're after

• Members

i think the cobra crunch channel, and quickrod gear 2 are quite similar...the clean on the cobra is just awesome; they're not the same by any means but in a band situation i could easily use either of those for my main heavy rhythm sound

the lead channel has more gain a bit more compression than the quickrod does overall, but it's really voiced for playing lead stuff moreso than rhythm...if you're specifically wanting a more saturated rhythm sound, i'm not sure the cobra would be what you're after

It still sounds like I would like it. The QR 2nd gear is probably my favorite tone so far, so if the Cobra has a nicer clean, and the 3rd channel works for doing my leads, then I think I'll love it. I'm not really looking for more saturation. My Iommi pickups have crunch and harmonics-o-plenty, which sound better to me than an overly saturated signal. Thanks for the info, man. I really think I need to get one to try out in the summer.

Great thread guys. BTW, what is the consensus as far as favorite tubes and speakers?

Guest Guest

one man's
bite
is another man's
harsh

one man's
smooth
is another man's
dull

one man's
agressive
is another man's
nasally

one man's
thick
is another man's
muddy

one man's
CLEAR!!
is another's
too dry...not enough GAINZ!!!
:D

one man's gay is another man's straight.

one man's butt is anther man's PARTY!! Wooo hooo!

Will the Cobra Framus give me that "paisley" sound?? Kinda like a Fender, but with a bit of Marshall low-mid range? Or a Mesa with a bit of Vox glassiness?? KNow what I mean????

Archived