UNLOCKING THE MYSTERY OF THE FRAMUS COBRA

guitarman967

• Members

V30s are not bad with the Cobra. Just not the Mesa oversized cab, it sounds like a floppy mess to me. In fact v30s, with emg pups, sounds very Killswitchy - which isn't altogether a bad thing.

If you haven't tried a vht fatbottom, you're definitly missing out.

There is a lot of win in this post. If you're going to use emgs with the cobra, use the 85, not the 81.

V30s kick ass with the cobra in the right cab. The vht cabs are also very hard to beat.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is a lot of win in this post. If you're going to use emgs with the cobra, use the 85, not the 81.

V30s kick ass with the cobra in the right cab. The vht cabs are also very hard to beat.

I enjoyed the 81's with it still.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

I wanted to thank everyone for the insight on the cobra, especially the OP.

I got mine about a month ago and it's taken some getting used to. It's very picky about cabs and in my experience it sounds terrible with oversized or overly bassy speakers. I just picked up a 1960a and I'm loving the tone through it.

Here are the cabs I've tried and my opinion:

Bogner Oversized 2x12 V30s - Sounded woofy and lacked punch with the cobra, I spent about 20 mins trying to dial it back, even with the deep knob a 0 and the bass low, it wasn't tight at all.

Bogner Cube 112 G12-65- sounds huge but doesn't cut very well. The low mids get muddy with high bass settings but turning off the deep knob tames the woofiness quite a bit. I would like to hear a sealed cab with these speakers. I think the ported cab is the reason it sounds this way.

Marshall 1960a G12t-75 - Grindy, more Marshally (who knew?). Tames the low end and dulls the highs (in a good way). Tight and more percussive than the others I've tried.

Random 1x12 Greenback - Great tight tone, being a single 12 and only 25 watts it didn't have as much low end or low mids, I bet a 412 with greenbacks would be stellar.

It prefers my lower output guitars. The crunch channel is incredible and the clean and lead channels are great, better than most high gain amps.

My complaint about this amp is the always on loop that seems to color the sound quite a bit. It's designed for rack effects and likes a balanced signal. I'm using an ebtech line level shifter and it's working fine, but my effects sound noticeably different through this amp than any other.

Overall I'm loving the tone of this thing and the balanced loop is just a minor inconvenience. This thing is killer!

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Hey guys, hoping to revive this thread a bit.

I recently acquired a used Cobra and I'm looking to get a 2x12 cab to run with it. I've seen that these amps tend to be picky about the cabs they play well with. I'm borrowing an avatar 2x12 from a friend loaded with G12t-75s and they sound ok, but not what I'm looking for. I've thought about changing one of the g12t75s to a v30, but unsure if that would really really help. Most of the threads I've found in this topic are really old and a lot of the recommended cab brands aren't readily available anymore.

I've read that the greenbacks really make the Cobra crunch channel shine when doing high gain (mostly what I play, but with a good variety of everything else as well). My issue is that I don't want or have space for a 4x12 and putting greenbacks in a 2x12 would only be 50watts. Is there a higher wattage speaker with similar wattage to GB's? I've heard that Eminence Private Jack and/or GB12 would be a viable option, but I'm open to any and all suggestions!

• Members
Hey guys, hoping to receive this thread a bit.

I recently acquired a used Cobra and I'm looking to get a 2x12 cab to run with it. I've seen that these amps tend to be picky about the cabs they play well with. I'm borrowing an avatar 2x12 from a friend loaded with G12t-75s and they sound ok, but not what I'm looking for. I've thought about changing one of the g12t75s to a v30, but unsure if that would really really help. Most of the threads I've found in this topic are really old and a lot of the recommended cab brands aren't readily available anymore.

I've read that the greenbacks really make the Cobra crunch channel shine when doing high gain (mostly what I play, but with a good variety of everything else as well). My issue is that I don't want or have space for a 4x12 and putting greenbacks in a 2x12 would only be 50watts. Is there a higher wattage speaker with similar wattage to GB's? I've heard that Eminence Private Jack and/or GB12 would be a viable option, but I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Ask and ye shall revive.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
It's still new to me' date=' but I think it can do rock and blues pretty well for a high gain amp. As many of the previous posts suggested, the EQ is really versatile.[/quote']

A cobra would be one fuuuun amp to own, I might look into a used one.

• 10 months later...

Archived