UNLOCKING THE MYSTERY OF THE FRAMUS COBRA

guitarman967

• Members

Um, is anyone else reading this and feeling like pretty much any good amp they own is this way?

I've always had to {censored} with settings, sometimes rather drastically, when switching guitars or cabinets to get what I felt was the best sound out of my equipment. Pickups make a huge difference in my sound as do tubes. All of these things can make my tone sound like night and day.

The description of the interaction between presence and treble is exactly the way presence has acted on all the amps I've owned with a presence knob and was always clearly the most important EQ factor in terms of voicing.

Of course, I'm also used to having to balance bass and mid frequencies in a similar fashion as well.

And that's with what would be described as mid gain amps by forumites here...

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i think a lot of what he originally posted applies specifically to the cobra controls, it makes a lot of sense if you have one in front of you to mess with and experience first hand what he's talking about...if you're just reading on out of curiousity tho, it may not seem like terribly useful info

• Members

Um, is anyone else reading this and feeling like pretty much any good amp they own is this way?

I've always had to {censored} with settings, sometimes rather drastically, when switching guitars or cabinets to get what I felt was the best sound out of my equipment. Pickups make a huge difference in my sound as do tubes. All of these things can make my tone sound like night and day.

The description of the interaction between presence and treble is exactly the way presence has acted on all the amps I've owned with a presence knob and was always clearly the most important EQ factor in terms of voicing.

Of course, I'm also used to having to balance bass and mid frequencies in a similar fashion as well.

And that's with what would be described as mid gain amps by forumites here...

Not saying that this interaction can't occur on other amps.:idea: But this thread isnt about them, just what occurs with the Cobra:thu:

I'm just trying to be specific about the controls on the Framus Cobra for the sake of users getting the best out of it.

I've noticed a Dual Rectifier has a similar type of EQ, but on the other hand the Marshall's I played were nothing like this type of EQ, either was my Splawn Quickrod or my Engls or my Wizard etc etc..

Notice however, that the Cobra has individual Presence Controls in the preamp for each of the 3 channels instead of the normal "Global" presence control you would find near the master volumes on most amps.

This definitely allows for alot more interaction and variations

• Members

i think a lot of what he originally posted applies specifically to the cobra controls, it makes a lot of sense if you have one in front of you to mess with and experience first hand what he's talking about...if you're just reading on out of curiousity tho, it may not seem like terribly useful info

Thanks Mike, that is true, I'm not trying to cover a wide spectrum here, just the Framus Cobra LOL

Hey BTW, I tried every combonation I could think of on the Clean channel today and I think I like the Treble lower than the Presence like you have your's set..I A/B'd teh Cobra with the Herbert and with the Herb's MIDCUT on you can get them to sound very very Close.

• Members

How the controls work sure...how they achieve their function no.

Those posts I do want, from people who know-you don't -big difference:wave:

Which is why I've opened discussion about it..To learn:idea: Just go back to being Miserable please:thu:

• Members

Actually, IMO, it could apply to just about every amplifier out there.

Here's JerryP's post again

I don't follow you on the solid state EQ thing. The Cobra EQ circuit is more like a hi-fi stereo type EQ circuit than the more common EQ circuit used by many other companies. It's an active circuit. The Cobra amp circuit is actually pretty similar to the Mesa Rectifier, SLO, 5150 type circuits, the EQ circuit being the biggest difference.

Jerry

Wish he would elaborate on the HI-FI stereo thing..

• Members

Can you guys post what type pre and power tube combo sound best in the Cobra.
:)

It's gonna depend on what you want to get out of the amp for the most part.

From what I've seen around here it seems that the RUBY EL34B STR's are the clear favorite for the Poweramp and I'd have to say I agree. The Winged C's wouldn't be a bad choice either.

This does bring up another senario though.

In my tinkering with tube's I stumbled upon how good a 12AT7 sounds in the Phase Inverter (V5) of the Cobra.

I ordered a Mullard from Doug's tubes and it's a great way to change the Feel and tone.

When I'm doing more rock stuff like this band.. http://Scharisma.com

I find the AT7 gives the Cobra a More Laid back warmer tone. Highs are attenuated some and The feel is more Spongy while still remaining tight.

I've gotten Compliments for having a very Warm tone with it. Not sure if people would say that with the 12AX7.

I've also noticed that the amp seems Alot more saturated at lower Volumes with the 12AT7 in there and I could never figure out exactly why. I did alot of research on the Effects of reducing the Tube's gain in the Phase inverter (100 down to 70%) and could never quite grasp what is happening.

It's definitely a Cool way to alter the overall Character of the amp Quickly

• Members

Great post Joel!

Joel called me up last night with an Awe of discovery in his voice when the Presence/Treb combo thing came to him. And actually it blew me away as well because I had always know there was something different about the Presence knob on the Cobra compared to other amps, however, Joel's discovery just put the ideas into concrete examples that mostly everyone can understand! - which is great because now everyone can have a better understanding of the way in which the amp actually works.

I have shared several "discoveries" over the past 2.5 years of owning the cobra and I am always finding new things about the amp as time goes by....but the KEY to this amp and any amp for that matter, really stems from keeping an open mind. Once I opened my mind to trying un-conventional EQ settings, especially while recording, I have been very happy with my tone and how it sits in the mix.

With that said, the Cobra is NOT for everybody, especially your plug and play type of player just because it is so sensitive to the various factors that affect your tone...but it does have a lot more versatility than people credit it for.

• Members

i guess it all depends really...i mean the cobra can sound good with a lot of different guitars, but it's a very transparent amp and you're really gonna notice the sound of one guitar compared to the next

if you've got a few different guitars laying around, and you want a different tone with each of them then you've got it...if you pretty want it to sound the same with only slight variation when using different guitars, this amp doesn't give you that

i can use a jackson soloist or gibson LP and get a good sound from the amp, but there will be a very noticeable difference between the two guitars...moreso than what i'd hear using the same two guitars thru my mark III or 5150

Ohh yeah I totally agree. I mean a Les Paul is no way going to sound like a Jackson or PRS and it shouldn't. IMO each guitar should have it's own tone to it and the amp should just blend in with the tone of the guitars. The eq settings for an LP wont work in most cases for a PRS or Strat but the amp should still have it's own distinct characteristic to it once tweaked.

And IMO I want my LP to sound like an LP and my Strat to sound like a strat. I think that's why so many of us have a few guitars is for their specific tone they put out.:thu:

On a different note.

Man I'm:thu: a bottle of pino into it and I feel hellanice. :freak:

• Members

It's gonna depend what you want to get

In my tinkering with tube's I stumbled Upon How good a 12AT7 sounds in the Phase Inverter (V5) of the Cobra.

I ordered a Mullard from Doug's tubes and it's a great way to change the Feel and tone.

When I'm doing more rock stuff like this band..

I find the AT7 gives the Cobra a More Laid back warmer tone. Highs are attenuated some and The feel is more Spongy while still remaining tight.

I've gotten Compliments for having a very Warm tone with it. Not sure if people would say that with the 12AX7.

I've also noticed that the amp seems Alot more saturated at lower Volumes with the 12AT7 in there and I could never figure out exactly why. I did alot of research on the Effects of reducing the Tube's gain in the Phase inverter (100 down to 70%) and could never quite grasp what is happening.

It's definitely a Cool way to alter the overall Character of the amp Quickly

i also like the 12AT7 in V5. i had a EH12AT7 in there for a while...but decided to take it out due to paranoia of running diffrent preamp tubes configuration.

but that was when i had my amp biased to 50mA!!1(damn tech)

since lowering it to 35mA i have been a lot happier with the tone...so i may stick the AT7 Back in.

• Members

Can you guys post what type pre and power tube combo sound best in the Cobra.

I'll be putting tung-Sol's in a couple slots in my preamp and ruby el34str's in the power. I've heard this is the best combo.

P.S. I agree with just about everything guitarman967 and cobrahead are saying. I don't come on this forum a whole lot anymore...mostly because this amp just kicks my ass everytime....kinda makes me have no GAS for another amp.

Best setup in the world. Heritage LP into Framus Cobra into 2 Cobra cabs. Heaven.

• Members

hahah I just Read Mike's original post! I'm Laughing over here because my fav tone with the cobra so far is using my LP with the Bill Lawrence xl500l LOL

actually once i got my splawn cab to run with the cobra, and the bias adjusted it didn't sound bad with that guitar...it just wasn't the best match for me

the cobra turned me into a diehard JB guy :D

forumite kleenex just had that very lp for sale recently, i'm not sure if he still has it or not

• Members

Cobra I remember this one clip you had a long time ago where you were doing palm muted like bar slides down towards the first few frets and it sounded so damn raw I loved it. It wasnt a song from your band, just a random cobra recording you did.

haha, i have no clue what clip that was (god knows i've posted a ton) glad you were into it tho :thu:

• Members

Which is why I've Opened discussion about it..To learn:idea: Just go back to being Miserable please:thu:

Go back to the "asking genuine questions post":idea: (now a cyclical conversation) How do you learn when you have erroneous info?:idea:

Opening a discussion while being pretentious is disingenuous to learning.

Make it easy on yourself just call me a troll and go away. :)

• Members

Go back to the "asking genuine questions post":idea: (now a cyclical conversation) How do
you
learn when you have erroneous info?
:idea:

Opening a discussion while being pretentious is disingenuous to learning.

Make it easy on yourself just call me a troll and go away.

Haha, what a tool you are. You seem Drunk.

I'll tell ya, If I suddenly stop hangin out at HC guys like you will be the reason.

Point being that If there is erroneous information posted here than why dont you take the time to give your point of view, in a helpful manner... Please add to the Discussion. By all means:)

You certainly have taken enough time wasting space complaining about nothing.

Problem here is, I don't think you know much of anything. And I doubt you've ever owned a Framus Cobra. It's becoming obvious by your complete lack of usefulness in this thread..

For example, You quoted my post about the FX loop boost that is used as a Buffer for Stompbox levels. Care to Explain why? Do you think this is erroneous info:idea: I'm waiting...

• Members

I was gonna say, reading that really applies to all amps. THe different pickups, cabs, speakers, guitars etc. I think alot of amps get good and bad reviews because of the rest of the chain its mixed with. I most amps have weird interactions that others don't. It all comes down to your full rig combination, and patience with the EQ.

• Members

{censored} that... Guitarman this is one of the best threads created on HC as of late, and you are great about helping others out....

Thanks for the Kind words:) It never ceases to amaze me how negative some people will be for no reason.

• Members

I was gonna say, reading that really applies to all amps. THe different pickups, cabs, speakers, guitars etc. I think alot of amps get good and bad reviews because of the rest of the chain its mixed with. I most amps have weird interactions that others don't. It all comes down to your full rig combination, and patience with the EQ.

It applies to all amps of course but to varying degrees, which is the point some are missing.

When I had my ENGL's I could put just about any tube in it and I could hardly hear a difference...

• Members

Last night I tried some suggestions from what I got from this thread. This is what I did.

Guitar: ESP LTD H-300 with seymour duncan distortions (basically a JB on roids) Drop C.

VHT fatbottom cab.

Cobra-Boosted with a boss sd-1 with the level maxed, gain zero, and tone at noon.

Crunch channel: gain at 2:00 since i was boosting it, and even the clean boost adds a fair amount of gain.

Low-9:00

mid-3:00

treble-9:30

presence-noon

Channel volume-4:30

Master-about 9:00

Depth-about 11:30

notches off.

I got a significantly more compressed tone, which I like, by adjusting the chanel volume higher. Sounded pretty good, best yet actually.

Archived