UNLOCKING THE MYSTERY OF THE FRAMUS COBRA

guitarman967

• Members

I do not have much noise trouble with mine. I had a microphonic tube in there when I first got and had a high pitched hum going on. When I found the tube and replaced it the noise was gone. I haven't been able to turn it up very loud cause its at my house but I have let it open up a little. I will have it at my studio space soon to really test it. The decimator doesn't seem that good to me, I just bought one from Rocksolid. I wanted to use it to get rid of the little bit of noise thats there. It seems to ad more noise than take away, It seems too sensitive and the way it gates out seems to comprimse the tone. I am sticking with my ns-2 that I have had for years, and yes the maxon sets the Cobra over the top for me , it works perfect with it.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm also having the same problem with the top end fizz/buzz no matter what settings I use. What preamp tubes did you change to? What are the best preamp tubes for the cobra?

How are you liking that compared to your voodoo 5150?

• Members

Tubes that I have found to sound the best for me. I play metal along the lines of Killsw, unearth and use a 7 string, if that makes any difference.

v1. Tung sol 12ax7

v2. Jan phillips 12ax7wa

v3. Shung gang 9th gen. 12ax7

v4. JJ standerd 12ax7

v5 Balanced JJ 12ax7 ,..... A at7 does make a difference here which guitarman pointed out to me. Not sure yet if it works for me but is worth trying out.

• Members

Here is my eq settings. (Keep in mind also playing through a mesa cab with v30's at mid to low volume). I found this setting after putting on heavier guage strings and adding a maxon in front of the amp. So far this has sounded the best for me.

Gain-3:00

Pres-11:00

Chan vol-3:00

Bass-12:00

Mid-3:00

Treb-11:00

Deep-1:00

I am interested to see how others are setting theres....... Anyone......Anyone?

• Members

Here is my eq settings. (Keep in mind also playing through a mesa cab with v30's at mid to low volume). I found this setting after putting on heavier guage strings and adding a maxon in front of the amp. So far this has sounded the best for me.

Wow I could never run the bass that high if the mids were at 3:00! That would probably break my cab LOL

I run my bass at 9:00 when I set the mids to 3:00.

• Members

Pretty close to mine. I am running mine through a Marshall 1960AV and Marshall 1960B. LTD MH400 w/ EMG 81/85.

Crunch Channel

Gain - 4:00

Pres - 9:30 to

Chan - 2:00

Bass - 1:00

Mid - 2:00

Treb - 11:00

Deep - 1:00

Master - 11:00

• Members

Is there any way to make a pedal turn off when you switch channels on the amp other than using your foot twice. I want my maxon pedal to turn off and my chorus pedal to turn on when I switch to clean. Lol probably not posible. So what I am lookin at is having to hit three pedals when I switch to clean. I really don't like using rack gear with my tube heads, I never had luck with my Dual Recs loop (prob. cause they suck) and rack pieces. I tried my Cobra with a replifex and it didn't sound good either. I probably don't even know the best way to set it up which may be the problem.

Basicaly I want to keep it simple and not comprimise the tone of the Cobra. But I want to have chorus on the clean channel, a boost on the gain channels, and some delay once in a while but I don't want to have hit 3 pedals to change. How would a delay pedal work through the loop of the Cobra, I have heard its loop is partial to rack stuff.

So I guess what all this jabering on my part comes down to is what works the best as far as effects with the Cobra. Keep in mind I don't really wanna have to program digital rack pieces unless I have to to get a great tone.

Maybe someone can explain the loop on the Cobra. Are there Chorus pedals that have midi inputs that can interface with the cobra's switching?

• Members

Is there any way to make a pedal turn off when you switch channels on the amp other than using your foot twice. I want my maxon pedal to turn off and my chorus pedal to turn on when I switch to clean. Lol probably not posible. So what I am lookin at is having to hit three pedals when I switch to clean. I really don't like using rack gear with my tube heads, I never had luck with my Dual Recs loop (prob. cause they suck) and rack pieces. I tried my Cobra with a replifex and it didn't sound good either. I probably don't even know the best way to set it up which may be the problem.

Basicaly I want to keep it simple and not comprimise the tone of the Cobra. But I want to have chorus on the clean channel, a boost on the gain channels, and some delay once in a while but I don't want to have hit 3 pedals to change. How would a delay pedal work through the loop of the Cobra, I have heard its loop is partial to rack stuff.

So I guess what all this jabering on my part comes down to is what works the best as far as effects with the Cobra. Keep in mind I don't really wanna have to program digital rack pieces unless I have to to get a great tone.

Maybe someone can explain the loop on the Cobra. Are there Chorus pedals that have midi inputs that can interface with the cobra's switching?

Many solutions actually. Get a GCX for your stompboxes or a Rackmount Processor. Anything is possible then.

• Members

Ok cool, whats a GCX lol. Is it a pain in da ass to set up say a gmajor with the Cobra to not loose any tone qualities of the amp.

GCX is a Rackmountable Audio Looper. You can see it in my lower rack right above the Drawer with my Pedals.

diezel006-1.jpg

As far as the Gmajor Question, The tone will be fine, But it's a bit difficult to setup your Send and return signals because the Cobra doesnt have controls for these levels. If you run your Channel volumes High like me you run the Risk of Clipping the Input of the Processor.

• Members

For those of you who have tried your Cobra with a Maxon OD-808, which do you prefer? More specifically, Crunch Channel unboosted vs. Lead channel boosted, which do you prefer? Does the boosted Lead channel come close to the tight clarity of the Crunch channel?

• Members

For those of you who have tried your Cobra with a Maxon OD-808, which do you prefer? More specifically, Crunch Channel unboosted vs. Lead channel boosted, which do you prefer? Does the boosted Lead channel come close to the tight clarity of the Crunch channel?

I prefer the unboosted crunch channel to the boosted Lead channel for sure. Although, I do like the boosted lead channel as well....just not as much. I'm not a big fan of boosting this amp...I like a clean signal chain and, for some reason when I put pedals in front of the cobra the added noise is rediculous.

My setup is simple. Heritage LP (SD Custom/'59). Into Framus Cobra. Going through 2 Cobra cabs. Both Stock Greenback Loaded.

My setup sounds absolutely phenominal....best I've hard thus far in my tonal quests, easily. Recorded it's absolutely crushing as well.

• Members

What you could do is make some sort of attenuated patch cable that will pad the signal some dB's. This way you can run the "send" pretty hard.

I am thinking of making one, but I need to figure out the values.

Very Cool man. Keep me up to date on this if you can.

I run my channel volumes at 2:00 for the gain channels just for this reason.

I would probably go a bit higher but the Loop won't allow it..

My processor's input controls are set pretty low (which affects the highs a bit) and my outputs are as high as they can go to achieve unity gain at the return.

Doesnt seem ideal but the tone is what counts.

Maybe some send and return controls would be a good idea for the Cobra's loop.

• Members

On another note, I threw a MXR EQ in the Loop today to mess around with the Cobra's frequencies a bit. The Fizzy frequency that people talk about is indeed centered around the Presence at 8K. When I pull that slider down the Fizz is completely gone but I do loose alot of the Aggressiveness that I love about the Cobra. The "Cut" On the notes..

So I'm gonna look into a Parametric EQ for {censored}s and giggles. Maybe I can cut that frequency a bit more efficiently.

• Members

I prefer the unboosted crunch channel to the boosted Lead channel for sure. Although, I do like the boosted lead channel as well....just not as much. I'm not a big fan of boosting this amp...I like a clean signal chain and, for some reason when I put pedals in front of the cobra the added noise is rediculous.

My setup is simple. Heritage LP (SD Custom/'59). Into Framus Cobra. Going through 2 Cobra cabs. Both Stock Greenback Loaded.

My setup sounds absolutely phenominal....best I've hard thus far in my tonal quests, easily. Recorded it's absolutely crushing as well.

I've come to the same conclusion my friend. I dont think the amp is better boosted on the Crunch channel. It sounds way smaller and of course the amp is way tight enough in the first place...

The lead channel shows alot of potential with a boost though

I'm still tweaking the amp here and there but I know that there's not another amp out there that will give me this kind of aggressive feel..atleast that I've tried yet..Check sig:freak:

• Members

i agree i prefer boost pedals for leads only because it adds sustain and notches the mids up, not many amps except mesas seem to really sound "better" boosted.

Anyway after playing vht deliverance and pittbull CL today just wondering does the Cobra have as much saturation and gain as these two heads? I LOVED the sound of these 2 heads and they had more than enough gain for me. IF the Cobra has as much gain and saturation i'm all set!

• Members

i agree i prefer boost pedals for leads only because it adds sustain and notches the mids up, not many amps except mesas seem to really sound "better" boosted.

Anyway after playing vht deliverance and pittbull CL today just wondering does the Cobra have as much saturation and gain as these two heads? I LOVED the sound of these 2 heads and they had more than enough gain for me. IF the Cobra has as much gain and saturation i'm all set!

Yeah they're on par with each other. I'd say the Cobra defiitely has more gain than the Deliverance, not even close really

• Members

and people complain about lack of saturation and gain on the cobra? LOL!!!

With the voicing gain up, and overdrive gain up there is too much saturation on the deliverance!

Does the Cobra have the complex feel and tone of the CL?

Well they're different animals.. Not sure what you consider a complex feel.

But I can say that the Cobra is one of the only amps that you can turn the gain up all the way (Crunch CH) and the tone does not get flubby or too compressed. It stays tight and clear but with more gain.

• Members

yeah "feel" was probably a bad word to describe it. I found you can crank Splawn and VHTs without getting flubby either. Both of these amps seem like all

their gain is usable.

I dont know about that, with The Ultralead I had you couldn't turn the Lead CH's gain past 3:00 or you'd get an overly compressed tone. Definitely not tight

• Members

I dont know about that, with The Ultralead I had you couldn't turn the Lead CH's gain past 3:00 or you'd get an overly compressed tone. Definitely not tight

I haven't played an UL for a while, but the CL and deliverance handled it with ease.

My boobs my boobs my boobs are okay! :love:

Archived