UNLOCKING THE MYSTERY OF THE FRAMUS COBRA

guitarman967

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Last night I tried some suggestions from what I got from this thread. This is what I did.

Guitar: ESP LTD H-300 with seymour duncan distortions (basically a JB on roids) Drop C.

VHT fatbottom cab.

Cobra-Boosted with a boss sd-1 with the level maxed, gain zero, and tone at noon.

Crunch channel: gain at 2:00 since i was boosting it, and even the clean boost adds a fair amount of gain.

Low-9:00

mid-3:00

treble-9:30

presence-noon

Channel volume-4:30

Master-about 9:00

Depth-about 11:30

notches off.

I got a significantly more compressed tone, which I like, by adjusting the chanel volume higher. Sounded pretty good, best yet actually.

Very Cool. I've noticed that The LEAD channel sounds alot more Compressed when I turn the Treble down and the Mids Higher..

Alot of the liquid feel and warmth of the Distorted channels is in the MID Control.

• Members

Alright, another really Cool thing I've discovered when I was setting up my rig a while back is how Flexible the Cobra's MIDI is.

Unlike my Diezel which only allows Program Changes, You can assign Control Messages to any of the Cobra's Functions.

This definitely comes in handy with the 2nd Master Volume because it can be used as a SOLO boost, a MUTE or to compensate for Volume if you have some interesting EQ settings.. (clean Channel Comes to mind)

I set the Master 2 to a Instant Access Button on my Ground Control Pro. This way I can toggle between the two masters regardless of what Program Change is called upon.

What else is cool is that the Instant Access button can have multiple Sources assigned to it. On some patches that button controls a Delay pedal and for other's it the Cobra's 2nd Master.:thu:

• Members

That's cool that you dig it and all.......and KSE uses them for recording.....but yeesh......talk about hyping something you love...:rolleyes::D

I tried a Cobra the other day......I can't say it did much for me......to me my Recto covers alot of the same ground....actually I prefer the Recto......carry on though...meh....:rolleyes:;):thu:

• Members

That's cool that you dig it and all.......and KSE uses them for recording.....but yeesh......talk about hyping something you love...
:rolleyes::D

I tried a Cobra the other day......I can't say it did much for me......to me my Recto covers alot of the same ground....actually I prefer the Recto......carry on though...meh....
:rolleyes:;):thu:

Sorry you couldnt get good sounds out of it..Maybe you should read some of the info here.

My intention was to use this as a sounding board for guys who own the amp and want to experiement not for hype. I'm not planning on selling it anytime soon.

I'd like to learn what others have found out about this amp as well..

Maybe I'll post my saturation mod too. Some users find it overly dry.

Oh and Dont hurt yourself with all those Emoticons:thu:

• Members

That's cool that you dig it and all.......and KSE uses them for recording.....but yeesh......talk about hyping something you love...
:rolleyes::D

I tried a Cobra the other day......I can't say it did much for me......to me my Recto covers alot of the same ground....actually I prefer the Recto......carry on though...meh....
:rolleyes:;):thu:

Why do people have to waste space with crap like this???? You dont like the amp, dont participate!! Its a great idea to share tips and experiences between users of the amp - this is an amp forum right? Some of you people need to get a life :wave:

• Members

dude this thread is basically a thread for Cobra owners, someone is making some suggestions to Cobra owners or possible future owners. Its a discussion. He is not sitting here saying its the best amp for everyone. I haven't seen one amp that is popular in here that EVERYONE agrees on. I hate it too when people come in and talk {censored} for no reason. Just people trying to smack you down because they know you are happy with your amp.

• Members

I was gonna say, reading that really applies to all amps. THe different pickups, cabs, speakers, guitars etc. I think alot of amps get good and bad reviews because of the rest of the chain its mixed with. I most amps have weird interactions that others don't. It all comes down to your full rig combination, and patience with the EQ.

to some degree this is true with all amps, but with the cobra moreso than others...i'll try to explain

i played a 5150 for years before getting my cobra...i played it with different guitars, cabs, etc. and it ALWAYS had that obnoxious 5150 tone that it's known for (which was a good thing to me) even tho there were differences when using different stuff with it

i used to run a ton of pedals in front of it, and never noticed it sounding very different with/without them

i got my cobra and it was a WHOLE different ballgame...all the sudden the logic from people i thought were tube snob purist types made sense; i could play two identical guitars with the same pickup on a high gain setting, and clearly hear how the two sounded different! trying two different cabs REALLY made a huge difference in the overall sound, and the tubes/bias were again a huge deal

with me the other factors in the signal chain of the cobra can change the tone on like a 1-10 scale...whereas most other high gain amps it's only like a 3-7 scale (if that makes sense)

again, this can be good or bad depending on the needs of the player...if you ever play one for yourself it'll make a lot more sense i think

• Members

I was a/b'ing the Cobra and the 5150 II last night at practice. I asked my singer (who knows nothing about amps) to compare the two and tell me which he prefered. His response was "well, the 5150 II is rawer, but the Cobra is a little clearer, and maybe a little bolder." I agree with this, and was impressed that he could tell that between the two.

• Members

I was a/b'ing the Cobra and the 5150 II last night at practice. I asked my singer (who knows nothing about amps) to compare the two and tell me which he prefered. His response was "well, the 5150 II is rawer, but the Cobra is a little clearer, and maybe a little bolder." I agree with this, and was impressed that he could tell that between the two.

Singer's are good sounding boards because they look at the overall picture alot differently than we do.

I would agree with his assesment for the most part but I would add the Cobra is alot tighter. That's one of the main differences to me.

Cobra's probably one of the only amp's I've had that you can crank the Gain as high as you want and it stays clear. Couldn't even say that for my VHT Ultralead

• Members

whys that?

because i usually use the cobra, and he likes the sound of it a lot better...i'm the tightest playing guy in the band, and he always says he can hear me better when i use the cobra

i prefer it myself, but it's fun to mix things up sometimes so i don't get bored

• Members

Why do people have to waste space with crap like this???? You dont like the amp, dont participate!! Its a great idea to share tips and experiences between users of the amp - this is an amp forum right? Some of you people need to get a life
:wave:

What someone can't have an dissenting opinion about an amplifier? STFU!! :rolleyes:

It's great the guy loves his amp. Apparantly there are a few guys on here that dig the amp. It was/is just kind of grossly obvious to me and I would think about 9/10 of the people here in "unlocking the mystery" of any amp that setting the eq, changing tubes, speakers, biasing are stupidly obvious. I guess I was just scratching my head to why this would be exclusive to a Framus Cobra? Anyway enjoy your Cobras......I wasn't impressed with the one I tried.......and you see alot of people rave about them here which I don't understand now that I've tried one..but that's cool..anyway have fun...:bor::freak::thu:

• Members

What someone can't have an dissenting opinion about an amplifier? STFU!!
:rolleyes:

It's great the guy loves his amp. Apparantly there are a few guys on here that dig the amp. It was/is just kind of grossly obvious to me and I would think about 9/10 of the people here in "unlocking the mystery" of any amp that setting the eq, changing tubes, speakers, biasing are stupidly obvious. I guess I was just scratching my head to why this would be exclusive to a Framus Cobra? Anyway enjoy your Cobras......I wasn't impressed with the one I tried.......and you see alot of people rave about them here which I don't understand now that I've tried one..but that's cool..anyway have fun...
:bor::freak::thu:

You are entitled to think what you want of any amp, my problem is you interjecting in this thead with arrogant, condescending crap that is of no use to anyone aside from your little ego.

• Members

You are entitled to think what you want of any amp, my problem is you interjecting in this thead with arrogant, condecending crap that is of no use to anyone aside from your little ego.

Little ego? Sounds like you have some sensitivity of your gear or something.....who cares? :freak:

The amp is over-hyped around here.......but if you guys dig it then cool.....people hate Rectos too.....again who cares? I don't hate the Cobra.....but I don't get all the "mystery" and hype I guess....I love KSE and they use them so.....whatever.....:wave::p:thu:

• Members

It's great the guy loves his amp. Apparantly there are a few guys on here that dig the amp. It was/is just kind of grossly obvious to me and I would think about 9/10 of the people here in "unlocking the mystery" of any amp that setting the eq, changing tubes, speakers, biasing are stupidly obvious. I guess I was just scratching my head to why this would be exclusive to a Framus Cobra? Anyway enjoy your Cobras......I wasn't impressed with the one I tried.......and you see alot of people rave about them here which I don't understand now that I've tried one..but that's cool..anyway have fun...

one would think this thread would be perfect example of what you're saying

you apparently tried the amp and wasn't impressed, maybe if you'd known some of what was in this thread you could've walked away with a different opinion

...maybe not

as i said before, if you own the amp yourself then a lot of the info in this thread makes a lot of sense...if you don't then you're gonna be scratching your head and thinking it's pointless

for someone who likes their cobra, but is trying to get more/less of something in their tone, the stuff joel posted initially might help them out quite a bit...for someone looking at buying a cobra, this gives them some things to think about

• Members

You've mentioned twice that you tried a Cobra and wasn't impressed..maybe you could explain what you didnt like.. It's very possible it may have been partially user error, lot's of guys didn't like it for months, hence the reason for this Thread LOL...

Seems like you're upset that other's are getting good sounds from it when you couldn't...You also mentioned KSE getting good sounds out of them a couple times. Like maybe they are the only one's that are capable of doing it

• Members

Little ego? Sounds like you have some sensitivity of your gear or something.....who cares?
:freak:

The amp is over-hyped around here.......but if you guys dig it then cool.....people hate Rectos too.....again who cares? I don't hate the Cobra.....but I don't get all the "mystery" and hype I guess....I love KSE and they use them so.....whatever.....
:wave::p:thu:

Let's be fair, you're the one that busted into the thread with an attitude...

• Members

jeez why do people feel the need to just say they don't like an amp when no one even asked for an opinion. Its simply a help thread.

I think because deep down they think it reflects on them. Look at this guys post. He can't believe that anyone can get great tones out of the amp

Archived