UNLOCKING THE MYSTERY OF THE FRAMUS COBRA

guitarman967

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Well it's only taken me two years to get my hands on one but I've got zao's Cobra coming my way sometime this week. Very excited, wish I didn't have to go to work for a while but I guess I can wait for the weekend to get my hands dirty. Now I've just got to get a hold of some greenbacks and stick 'em in my ENGL Pro cab and I'll be ready to blow {censored} up!

Almost forgot - I'm a passive pickup n00bie. I've been using actives for going on 20 years now and I'm completely out of touch with the passive market. What are some of yalls favorite pickups to use to get metal sounds with the Cobra and why? Anyone wanna recommend a particular Duncan or Bare Knuckle to me??

• Members

In case you have EMGs in one of your guitars maybe try a 85 in the bridge before rewiring the guitar for passives. I gave it a shot as the Cobra really didn't like the 81 and I never thought about rewiring again as it sounds great with the 85 imho. I admit I didn't try any Bareknuckles though only some SD passives and I preferred the 85 to them.

• Members

In case you have EMGs in one of your guitars maybe try a 85 in the bridge before rewiring the guitar for passives. I gave it a shot as the Cobra really didn't like the 81 and I never thought about rewiring again as it sounds great with the 85 imho. I admit I didn't try any Bareknuckles though only some SD passives and I preferred the 85 to them.

Thanks man.

I've actually got blackouts in my guitars and when I tried it out on freehandarson's Cobra a few weeks ago they sounded pretty damn good. Apparently someone at the NoVa Ampfest also tried the Cobra with an EMG 85 and it just didn't sound good.

• Members

The problem was that the faceplate gets caught on the upper corner protectors. Or at least for me. I took them off and it went in easily.

Bingo!

We have a winner.

I've worked on a few, the first was a PIA until I got used to it.

• Members

Well it's only taken me two years to get my hands on one but I've got zao's Cobra coming my way sometime this week. Very excited, wish I didn't have to go to work for a while but I guess I can wait for the weekend to get my hands dirty. Now I've just got to get a hold of some greenbacks and stick 'em in my ENGL Pro cab and I'll be ready to blow {censored} up!

Almost forgot - I'm a passive pickup n00bie. I've been using actives for going on 20 years now and I'm completely out of touch with the passive market. What are some of yalls favorite pickups to use to get metal sounds with the Cobra and why? Anyone wanna recommend a particular Duncan or Bare Knuckle to me??

Warpig was a little bottom/low mid heavy with the Cobra, maybe a Nailbomb or Painkiller would be good, I've not tried them though, so I can't comment. Duncans I've tried through there include a JB, a Custom and a Distortion, and I'd say teh Custom and Distortion did the best out of those 3. :) I MUST tell you though, the best pickup to date I've heard through my Cobra is the Anderson H3 with a 1 meg volume pot. :thu: Sexcellent.

-Ans-

• Members

When ever I take the chassis out I wedge something in-between the tolex and corner protector, lifting it up a bit. Though I try not to take it out too often. The fact that I moded the bias pot externally says all there is..

• Members

Warpig was a little bottom/low mid heavy with the Cobra, maybe a Nailbomb or Painkiller would be good, I've not tried them though, so I can't comment. Duncans I've tried through there include a JB, a Custom and a Distortion, and I'd say teh Custom and Distortion did the best out of those 3.
:)
I MUST tell you though, the best pickup to date I've heard through my Cobra is the Anderson H3 with a 1 meg volume pot.
:thu:
Sexcellent.

-Ans-

You hit it right man. The Warpig has to much low mids for the Cobra. I have tried the 3 pickups you mentioned with it and vastly prefer the Nailbomb or Painkiller with the Cobra. The Warpig is awesome, just a bad match for that amp.

• Members

just wanted to say that here lately i've actually been thinking a good bit about selling my cobra...just kinda reaching a point that i need money more than i need gear, and the cobra's is the most valuable amp i've got sitting around

i decided to try it a few practices and shows before i jumped and did anything tho (i'd used my deliverance for a while, then switched to the engl for a bit, and back to the vht)

when i used it live again i immediately remembered why i loved this amp so much :D

the blackmore will most likely be for sale by the end of the summer tho, possibly followed by the ampeg

• Members

Warpig was a little bottom/low mid heavy with the Cobra, maybe a Nailbomb or Painkiller would be good, I've not tried them though, so I can't comment. Duncans I've tried through there include a JB, a Custom and a Distortion, and I'd say teh Custom and Distortion did the best out of those 3.
:)
I MUST tell you though, the best pickup to date I've heard through my Cobra is the Anderson H3 with a 1 meg volume pot.
:thu:
Sexcellent.

-Ans-

Thanks for the passive tips guys. I just picked up a Lundgren M6 and I'm gonna see whether I like that or not. Those things are freakin' pricey, good thing I only need one.

Hey Ans, what's the story on the 1 meg volume pot? What kind of tonal changes are you getting from using that value specifically??

• Members

since guitarman967/joel unlocked the mystery of the cobra can we get him to unlock the mystery of a few other things like the detachable PENIS.

Dude that was unlocked way back in the early 90's..:facepalm:

Where were you?:idea:

BTW, the title was definitely tongue in cheek..

It was a half shot at all the guys who would sell the amp a week later because they couldnt be bothered working with it

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Well, I got the low end somewhat under control, dialed out quite a bit of fizz and now I am struggling with the low mids. This thing has a ton of low mids and through 3 different cabs, my greenback avatar has the least but still overpowering. This amp is definitely a journey. I could see how a lot of people dont gel with this amp and might lose patience as it definitely doesnt do well with low mid heavy cabinets. To tell you the truth, v30s might not be that bad with this one. I would like to try them.

• Members

Well, I got the low end somewhat under control, dialed out quite a bit of fizz and now I am struggling with the low mids. This thing has a ton of low mids and through 3 different cabs, my greenback avatar has the least but still overpowering. This amp is definitely a journey. I could see how a lot of people dont gel with this amp and might lose patience as it definitely doesnt do well with low mid heavy cabinets. To tell you the truth, v30s might not be that bad with this one. I would like to try them.

V30s are not bad with the Cobra. Just not the Mesa oversized cab, it sounds like a floppy mess to me. In fact v30s, with emg pups, sounds very Killswitchy - which isn't altogether a bad thing.

If you haven't tried a vht fatbottom, you're definitly missing out.

• Members

Those VHTs are getting hard to find. Probably not quite as hard as the Cobra cab I have been looking for forever, but truth be told I dont know how different a cobra cab with greenbacks would be than my avatar loaded greenback cab now. I think I am going to snag a VHT cab if I can find one. Hell with the shipping charges, its gotta be worth it. EVERY clip I have heard with a VHT cab sounded good to me.

• Members

Those VHTs are getting hard to find. Probably not quite as hard as the Cobra cab I have been looking for forever, but truth be told I dont know how different a cobra cab with greenbacks would be than my avatar loaded greenback cab now. I think I am going to snag a VHT cab if I can find one. Hell with the shipping charges, its gotta be worth it. EVERY clip I have heard with a VHT cab sounded good to me.

Right before Christmas I picked up a 212 vht from Drum City

Guitar Land. I'm pretty sure they have some 412 cabs still in stock. Pretty good prices too.

Archived