UNLOCKING THE MYSTERY OF THE FRAMUS COBRA

guitarman967

• Members

Jerry Could you Please Elaborate on this? I know it has a Solid State EQ and I was assuming this is the same thing as an Active EQ.

At any rate It doesn't seem Passive from What I can tell because you have the Ability to Boost and Cut Frequencies. I'm far from an expert in this area though...It's very similar to a Parametric at times

I don't follow you on the solid state EQ thing. The Cobra EQ circuit is more like a hi-fi stereo type EQ circuit than the more common EQ circuit used by many other companies. It's an active circuit. The Cobra amp circuit is actually pretty similar to the Mesa Rectifier, SLO, 5150 type circuits, the EQ circuit being the biggest difference.

Jerry

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was always wondering if it is possible to turn off that light in the Cobra. Sometimes it looks cool, but sometimes it's just too much IMO...

And how does it look on the inside? Has anyone got some pics?

• Members

one thing that joel mentioned early in his original post, is how the amp is really sensitive to what cab, speakers, guitar, pickups, etc. you're using it with

with a lot of high gain amps people try, they know they've got good stuff in that regard so this tends to get overlooked...with most amps you can get away with that ok (good cab, good guitar, good pickups...you're ready to rock!) but that's not the case with the cobra

if you've got a thin/bright sounding guitar, this amp is REALLY gonna pick up on that...you can adjust to eq to compensate a little, but not much

same deal if you've got a dark/thick sounding guitar, with the cobra that sound will really come thru

one of the things that makes this a love/hate amp for a lot of people is how it's so picky about such things...on one hand it lets you customize your tone without modding the amp etc. just by what guitar, pickups, and cab you're using with it; a lot of cobra owners here on the board have posted clips and everyone has a very different tone...this is difficult at the same time because if you have nice gear that just doesn't get along with the amp, or give you the tone you want, you're kinda the odd man out

when i first got my cobra i wasn't very happy at all with my gibson lp which had a lawrence 500xl in the bridge (really bright/scooped pickup which normally balanced out well in the LP, but with the cobra i heard the tone of the pickup a lot more than i ever had before) and peavey 5150 cab (just really muddy, and couldn't handle low end well @ all)

fortunately for me i had made plans for a gear upgrade anyhow, but even so i was dangerously close to sending the amp back...but i drug it around town to try a few other cabs, and was AMAZED at the difference (untill then i thought cabs were just speaker boxes, and they were pretty much the same...this was the first time i truly got why some of them cost so much)

same with guitars, it took me quite a few to find the one that worked best...i've always gone thru guitars quite a bit so for me this was no biggie

just something to consider if you're looking at this amp...if you've got other gear that you've always loved the sound of it might work great with the cobra and give you exactly what you're looking for, but if you like the amp but aren't totally satisfied with it then some of these outside factors are really worth looking into if you can

• Members

one thing that joel mentioned early in his original post, is how the amp is
really
sensitive to what cab, speakers, guitar, pickups, etc. you're using it with

with a lot of high gain amps people try, they know they've got good stuff in that regard so this tends to get overlooked...with most amps you can get away with that ok (good cab, good guitar, good pickups...you're ready to rock!) but that's not the case with the cobra

if you've got a thin/bright sounding guitar, this amp is REALLY gonna pick up on that...you can adjust to eq to compensate a little, but not much

same deal if you've got a dark/thick sounding guitar, with the cobra that sound will really come thru

one of the things that makes this a love/hate amp for a lot of people is how it's so picky about such things...on one hand it lets you customize your tone without modding the amp etc. just by what guitar, pickups, and cab you're using with it; a lot of cobra owners here on the board have posted clips and everyone has a very different tone...this is difficult at the same time because if you have nice gear that just doesn't get along with the amp, or give you the tone you want, you're kinda the odd man out

when i first got my cobra i wasn't very happy at all with my gibson lp which had a lawrence 500xl in the bridge (really bright/scooped pickup which normally balanced out well in the LP, but with the cobra i heard the tone of the pickup a lot more than i ever had before) and peavey 5150 cab (just really muddy, and couldn't handle low end well @ all)

fortunately for me i had made plans for a gear upgrade anyhow, but even so i was dangerously close to sending the amp back...but i drug it around town to try a few other cabs, and was AMAZED at the difference (untill then i thought cabs were just speaker boxes, and they were pretty much the same...this was the first time i
truly
got why some of them cost so much)

same with guitars, it took me quite a few to find the one that worked best...i've always gone thru guitars quite a bit so for me this was no biggie

just something to consider if you're looking at this amp...if you've got other gear that you've always loved the sound of it
might
work great with the cobra and give you exactly what you're looking for, but if you like the amp but aren't totally satisfied with it then some of these outside factors are really worth looking into if you can

Werd:thu:

• Members

Like ragnvald had mentioned, The Channel volume is a big factor in going from a decent tone to a great tone. Most novice users overlook the importantance of this control.

The actual setting seems to be really dependant on what type of pickups are used. For my 7 String it likes to be set lower (1:00) for some reason, but unlike most amps, the best sounds are found when it's set higher. Atleast a 2:00 setting..

One potential problem with this is that the control is also a send for the FX loop (like many amps) so it seems to overdrive the input of the FX device if set too high

• Members

Like ragnvald had mentioned, The Channel Volume is a big factor in going form a decent tone to a great tone. The Actual setting seems to be really dependant on what type of Pickups are used. For my Seven String it likes to be set lower (1:00) for some reason but unlike most amps, the best sounds are Found When it's set higher. Atleast a 2:00 setting..

My Question would be, does this Control act as a send for the FX loop?

Is it possible to Overdrive the input of a unit because of this High setting?

Yes, the volume controls the signal going to the tube driving the fx send. The fx control drives the return buffer and onward to the PI. A consistant signal here is also prefered, which is why some people set the fx controll to 12:00 wih nothing plugged in.

• Members

The Cobra is one of the amps I have wanted to try for ages. There is one floating around town here that I need to try out.

being that you liked the jsx and xxx a good bit, i think you'll dig the cobra...dunno if you'll dig it enough to own one but i think you'd enjoy playing it

• Members

I don't follow you on the solid state EQ thing. The Cobra EQ circuit is more like a hi-fi stereo type EQ circuit than the more common EQ circuit used by many other companies. It's an active circuit. The Cobra amp circuit is actually pretty similar to the Mesa Rectifier, SLO, 5150 type circuits, the EQ circuit being the biggest difference.

Jerry

I meant the Opto-Couplers.

• Members

Yes, the volume controls the signal going to the tube driving the fx send. The fx control drives the return buffer and onward to the PI. A consistant signal here is also prefered, which is why some people set the fx controll to 12:00 wih nothing plugged in.

I agree, there's a nice Buffer when the Control is set to 12:00. Sometimes I'll set the Control there for a little extra Clarity and Aggression that the Boost gives you. If I'm not Mistaken that Buffer was intended to make the Loop Compatible with stompboxes as it's designed for Line level Units

• Members

I agree, there's a nice Buffer when the Control is set to 12:00. Sometimes I'll set the Control there for a little extra Clarity and Aggression that the Boost gives you. If I'm not Mistaken that Buffer was intended to make the Loop a more Compatible with stompboxes as it's designed for Line level Units

Oh boy I think you need to just stick to playing with the knobs and leave the tech stuff to other people who have a natural affinity.

Just enjoy the amp:wave:

• Members

Very Nice post..It was super Helpful

Your welcome, not everyone really needs to know what thier amp is doing or to post erroneous technical "opinions" instead of genuine questions.Nor do they need to be defensive when this is pointed out.:)

• Members

Your welcome, not everyone really needs to know what thier amp is doing or to post erroneous technical "opinions" instead of genuine questions.Nor do they need to be defensive when this is pointed out.
:)

Who's being defensive? Sacastic maybe.. Your post is not helpful at all to anyone.

The key to getting a great sound out of any amp is in understanding how it works. This is a discussion board, isnt this a good place to start understanding the tech info?? I know that must sound crazy to you.

It's possible you may not be intelligent enough to participate in these conversations.

BTW, anyone who doesnt want to know how the amp works does not have to read the Posts.

• Members

one thing that joel mentioned early in his original post, is how the amp is
really
sensitive to what cab, speakers, guitar, pickups, etc. you're using it with

fortunately for me i had made plans for a gear upgrade anyhow, but even so i was dangerously close to sending the amp back...but i drug it around town to try a few other cabs, and was AMAZED at the difference (untill then i thought cabs were just speaker boxes, and they were pretty much the same...this was the first time i
truly
got why some of them cost so much)

just something to consider if you're looking at this amp...if you've got other gear that you've always loved the sound of it
might
work great with the cobra and give you exactly what you're looking for, but if you like the amp but aren't totally satisfied with it then some of these outside factors are really worth looking into if you can

That's a lot of variables to deal with when buying an amp with the price tag of the Cobra.

"So I have all these guitars but now I have mod all my guitars with new pups, or I have to buy a new guitar or trade em in so that I can get guitars that sound good with my Cobra"? Kind of a tough pill to swallow.

A great amp should sound great with what ever you plug into it.

My Germino, Two Rock & ENGL SE all sound amazing with any of my guitars. Though when switching between guitars, yes I agree that you definitely have to tweak the eq to match the pups, but to have to search for the right guitars to match an amp is kinda crazy.

A good amp should be able to be dialed in with the controls that are there.

I think the Cobra is a very cool amp it has it's good points. When I had it for a few weeks though It just didn't shine like a $2500 amp should. Maybe it was a dud. :confused: I truly hope so.

I'll never say I won't buy one, though it would have to do better than the last one I had. I really want to like them cause I would like to add one to my collection.

:thu:

• Members

That's a lot of variables to deal with when buying an amp with the price tag of the Cobra.

"So I have all these guitars but now I have mod all my guitars with new pups, or I have to buy a new guitar or trade em in so that I can get guitars that sound good with my Cobra"? Kind of a tough pill to swallow.

My Germino, Two Rock & ENGL SE all sound amazing with any of my guitars. Though when switching between guitars, yes I agree that you definitely have to tweak the eq to match the pups, but to have to search for the right guitars to match an amp is kinda crazy.

I think the Cobra is a very cool amp it has it's good points. When I had it for a few weeks though It just didn't shine like a $2500 amp should. Maybe it was a dud.
:confused:
I truly hope so.

I'll never say I won't buy one, though it would have to do better than the last one I had. I really want to like them cause I would like to add one to my collection.

Hey man, In some ways I totally agree with you. The thing is, I haven't been able to find another high gain head that can do what this one does, so I decided to make the best of it.

As far as the gear stuff goes, I don't think it's that the Cobra sounds horrible with variations. It's just differences that you may or may not want to hear.

The sensitivity to the signal chain can also be viewed as a strength in the end because it take's well to those nuances that can customize your sound.

Having an amp that would sound great no matter what wouldn't be bad either..

• Members

I think the Cobra is a very cool amp it has it's good points. When I had it for a few weeks though It just didn't shine like a $2500 amp should. Maybe it was a dud.
:confused:
I truly hope so.

i guess it all depends really...i mean the cobra can sound good with a lot of different guitars, but it's a very transparent amp and you're really gonna notice the sound of one guitar compared to the next

if you've got a few different guitars laying around, and you want a different tone with each of them then you've got it...if you pretty want it to sound the same with only slight variation when using different guitars, this amp doesn't give you that

i can use a jackson soloist or gibson LP and get a good sound from the amp, but there will be a very noticeable difference between the two guitars...moreso than what i'd hear using the same two guitars thru my mark III or 5150

no one has to change their whole rig around the amp, it's just no garuntee that what you have will get along well with it (which is true of any amp to a degree)

as i said, this worked out well for me because i had plans to upgrade my rig before i got my cobra...but i can truly understand where other people wouldn't like this a bit; also like guitarman967 there was something about the amp that i really fell in love with and never found in another amp, especially in addition to having 3 channels and midi (all of which i put to good use) so i was willing to dig a little to make the amp work for me...i'm very satisfied with it, but not everyone will be

do they really go for $2500 now?

• Members

Who's being defensive? Sacastic maybe.. Your post is not helpful at all to anyone.

I think the Key to getting a great sound out of any amp is in understanding how it works. I know that must sound Crazy...

BTW, anyone who doesnt want to know how the amp works does not have to read the Posts.

How the controls work sure...how they achieve their function no.

Those posts I do want, from people who know-you don't -big difference:wave:

• Members

The Cobra is a very intriguing amp. I got to mess with cobrahead's rig a little bit.

I felt it was really the best amp we had there that day. Splawn, Marshall, Hughes & Kettner, Madison, Blackmore, to name a few.

I think you can get a good sound out of this. But people just don't understand the features and how they interact. Like anything else, your sound is the sum of it's aprts. Everything WILL effect everything else.

And of course not every amp is suitable for every one.

I'd love to check it out, own one, but it's too much amp for me, for what I do. I can have a LOT of other useful gear for what the Cobra costs. If I were a regular touring pro with 1/2 stack rigs, the Cobra would be one of my amps...no doubt.

• Members

Im not sure about dialing out the fizzyness, I found the stock EH tubes imparted a fizzyness regardless of how I eq'd the amp, it took me changing the preamp tubes to fix that!! Also curious - do use lots of different settings when you play through the cobra? I find that once you have dialed in a sound you love you generally stick (more or less) to that. Also I dont think the Cobra has as much tone shaping capability as say a dual rec, I think the tone of the cobra is better, but the eq's allow marginal color alteration while maintaining essentially a consistent fundamental sound - albeit an awesome sound!!

Can you guys post what type pre and power tube combo sound best in the Cobra.:)

Archived