Kronos what about it?

minimoog

• Members
It is not a PC in a plastic case.

Korg is using an
embedded systems
design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_system

The cost of software and development is the big ticket here.

It probably took +3 years to get it right. Significant people

time, design, technical programming, testing, etc, etc.

Plus it is flexible enough for future growth, more sound engines, etc.

That is no accident, thats part of the design.

The circuit board , processor, what you see, is the

least expensive part of the project. They did not simply

port the OASYS over in a cheaper case, either.

This was discussed under the epic , 8 mile long

Kronos thread early last year.

BTW, I worked 3 years for an embedded systems company.

This co was recently acquired by Intel who wanted to acquire

that technology. It is also known as device software optimization, and the technology

has been around since 2001, and has really taken off in 2004, with the explosion

of mobile devices.

Interestingly, if you look at your post sideways, it represents a vertical bar graph showing the US deficit over the last 30 years.

What are you up to, Son of Heffalump? :evil:

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Clearly, since we've no schematics to consult, the only solution is for McHale to open it up again and sketch out all the interconnecting wire bundles. And list all proprietary ICs.

But seriously, according to the last pics he posted, there are at least two large circuit boards besides the Atom mobo. I find it hard to believe that they only contain a 'sound card' and front panel knobs/switches.

But EPuppy's wrong when he says the mobo's just a traffic cop and UI manager.

He forgot that it also has to serve the PATA drive for sample streaming.

:lol:

• Members

Here, I'm gonna reply.

In 2011, if I were to actually look for a guitar patch in a $3000+ workstation, I would expect the flexibility, quality, intelligence and playability of
Orange Tree Samples Evolution series of guitar sample libraries
. Currently, Kronos is not there yet, and Motif is a tiny bit closer, but still no dice.

However, I don't usually play guitar patches on the keyboard. But if I did, I would want them to sound as realistic as they could be. And that's not happening still.

Wow, that sounds good.

• Members

Clearly, since we've no schematics to consult, the only solution is for McHale to open it up again and sketch out all the interconnecting wire bundles. And list all proprietary ICs.

But seriously, according to the last pics he posted, there are at least two large circuit boards besides the Atom mobo. I find it hard to believe that they only contain a 'sound card' and front panel knobs/switches.

But EPuppy's wrong when he says the mobo's
just a traffic cop and UI manager

I expect Kronos II to allow me to Facebook while figuring out Herbie Hancock chords

:)

• Members

Interestingly, if you look at your post sideways, it represents a vertical bar graph showing the US deficit over the last 30 years.

What are you up to, Son of Heffalump?
:evil:

Thats a brilliant observation and yes, I am part of a government conspiracy to desensitize the world population of the US deficit.

I am also into year 3 of running my own business. I originating my own conspiracy to find more customers.

Do you have any more outstanding recordings of you and your band ?

• Members

That's cool as hell. Using a separate interface as a UI expansion that's automatically sensed and mapped? Hell yeah; good show, Korg.

They included support for all the nano things. nanoPad, nanoKey, nanoKontrol and some other Korg things. It was a brilliant upgrade and completely customizable.

• Members
There *IS* a VGA port on the motherboard as well as USB, audio, spare SATA and NIC.
Could be fun to explore the options with those as well...

If it works besides the dedicated screen, I'd bet there's a LOT of guys that would LOVE to hook that up to a spare monitor for the studio and programming. I sure know I would! :p

• Members

um... I do kind of have the schematics. You want a copy?

Thanks! But not if it's any trouble at all. If it's already digitized, it might clear up some of this hum-flummery that's about. But really, don't scan stuff just for me...

And I'll bet there's no support for that mobo VGA jack. They could write it in, but it might slow more important tasks. I'd hate for my streaming samples to hiccup because I'm surfing hancocktabs.com.

• Members

But EPuppy's wrong when he says the mobo's
just a traffic cop and UI manager

It's a deja vu of the discussions that followed the release of the Oasys, people couln't believe that only a Pentium 4 processor could do everything teh Oasys does and were claiming that Korg had added extra dedicated processors for handling effects, etc. No one could ever prove this, the P4 did it all tahnks to Korgs clever programming and an optimised OS.

If Native Intsruments can sell Komplete 8 for under 500 dollars and make a profit, why would the value of Korgs development for the Kronos be valued higher? A lowend laptop and Komplete plus a simple soundcard and keyboard can be bought new for around 1200 dollars, what does the extra 1800 dollars that Korg charges additionally add except all in one integration?

• Members

people were claiming that Korg had added extra dedicated processors for handling effects, etc. No one could ever prove this, the P4 did it all tahnks to Korgs clever programming and an optimised OS.

But did anyone ever prove the contrary? All I can say is what I've already said: without schematics (or closeup pics of all the boards) I find it hard to believe. If someone can show me proof, I'll be the first to admit that my guess was wrong. Because, after all, it is just a guess...

And I certainly won't dispute the assertion that a Linux OS will run faster than Windoze. :lol:

Here's some pics of Oasys innards, btw.

• Members

If Native Intsruments can sell Komplete 8 for under 500 dollars and make a profit, why would the value of Korgs development for the Kronos be valued higher? A lowend laptop and Komplete plus a simple soundcard and keyboard can be bought new for around 1200 dollars, what does the extra 1800 dollars that Korg charges additionally add except all in one integration?

Keybeds are better than most cheaper MIDI controllers (apart from the RH3 fiasco). "Simple soundcard" cannot compare to the quality of Kronos' DA converters for sure. Then, you get touchscreen and physical controllers. Everything has its prices, and MI industry prices things differently than IT industry, you should be aware of that.

• Members

Over at the "Independently moderated" korg forums they have just locked all the Kronos defect threads and unstickied them ... and threatened to ban anyone discussing the horrendous Kronos keybed issue in a negative way.
That should tell you a bit about Kronos quality ....and how independently moderated they really are.

• Members

Over at the "Independently moderated" korg forums they have just locked all the Kronos defect threads and unstickied them ... and threatened to ban anyone discussing the horrendous Kronos keybed issue in a negative way.

That should tell you a bit about Kronos quality ....and how independently moderated they really are.

Thats really {censored}ty of them, if anything they should be wanting to address the problems and show their loyal customers they stand behind their products.

• Members

i was about to post a big cranky post regarding build quality and KORGS and keybeds and big boys owning up to their business and everything else. but the forvm deleted it.

so what information does the KORG UNOFFICIAL FORVM need to know about the RH3 keybed? have you guys never seen one of these before? you wanna fix it, talk to mchale.

other than that, i see a lot of threads still stickied at the top of the 'independently modertated korgororor foruvugvms" that are still very useful and adress legitimate issues. what up?

Archived