Kronos what about it?

minimoog

• Members

And theoretically, it wouldn't be difficult. It would just be a Korg themed front end to sysex and MIDI CC info. But, since the Kronos already supports the nano stuff, why bother?

The same reason any company would bother: if they thought they could make money. They might not do it if Sir Figg was the only person in the world wiling to fork over $20 for a Kronos app, but they might if thousands of Kronos owners would be wiling to. Like maybe an iMS-20 Plus app that lets you upload your patches directly into your Kronos (but it would only work for the Kronos MS-20EX engine of course), control the MS-20EX on the Kronos and/or sync to the MS-20EX.

Or maybe an STR-1 iPad app that has WIST, MIDI, etc. connectivity with the STR-1 engine. Maybe an iPad app for all the other engines.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Stephen also gave Korg the option for M3 and OASYS (and KRONOS) users to be edit GE's directly on the workstation without needing the separate software. They declined. WTF?!

Yes, I remember reading that before. That really ranks high on the list for stoooopid.

:rolleyes:

• Members

The same reason any company would bother: if they thought they could make money. They might not do it if Sir Figg was the only person in the world wiling to fork over $20 for a Kronos app, but they might if thousands of Kronos owners would be wiling to.

Since not everybody with a Kronos has or wants an iPad that limits the number of potential customers to begin with. Then tack on to that that not everybody wants the app... not worth the effort.

• Members

Since not everybody with a Kronos has or wants an iPad that limits the number of potential customers to begin with. Then tack on to that that not everybody wants the app... not worth the effort.

Who thought Korg would ever release iElectribe or iMS-20? I sure didn't. I guess we'll see. I could see them releasing an iMOD7 app or an iCX3 app, for example, with or without any Kronos connectivity.

That is one thing I like about Korg - they can be unpredictable that way.

• Members

I want to go play a Kronos now. I wasn't even interested before. But KARMA 2.0 extended over many more sound banks and patches than my M3 offers, is worth exploring.

Kronos is definitely NOT my next synth purchase. But in 2013-2014, it might be.

I'm buying Stephen Kay's software my next trip back to the States. Unfortunately,

it only comes in a CD version. I would have already downloaded it otherwise.

• Members

I want to go play a Kronos now. I wasn't even interested before. But KARMA 2.0 extended over many more sound banks and patches than my M3 offers, is worth exploring.

Kronos is definitely NOT my next synth purchase. But in 2013-2014, it might be.

I'm buying Stephen Kay's software my next trip back to the States. Unfortunately,

it only comes in a CD version. I would have already downloaded it otherwise.

Just FYI, all of the Karma Lab software is downloadable, in addition to being available via CD.

For example, here is the page for the Karma M3 software -- Delivery Method Download or CD (in usa only): http://www.karma-lab.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=30

• Members

Just FYI, all of the Karma Lab software is downloadable, in addition to being available via CD.

For example, here is the page for the Karma M3 software -- Delivery Method Download or CD (in usa only):

You're right. It's the House 101 software I was thinking of.

But @ $169. I'll hold off awhile longer. I've bought all his patch sets for the M3 already.

• Members

I just can't bring myself to buy a Kronos now that I know that they're made of recycled kittens....

I gotta admit - I'm starting to GAS a little over this Kronos thing. I laid hands on one at Sweetwater a few month back ... thought it was nice, but wasn't stricken. I've banged on the 88 key version prominently displayed in my local guitar center a time or two since then - and each time seem to discover something else that I like about it. I spent a good hour playing it today (used my Live Wires ear buds today - so I didn't have to listen to the 13 Beatz arteests who were banging away on Gias and MicroKorgs all around me. I'm still not 100% sold on the feel of the keybed (as compared to the action on my CP300....) - but definitely like the sound palette as well as the flexibility of the workstation features. It may be time to start thinking about how to add one to my rig!

• Members

I gotta admit - I'm starting to GAS a little over this Kronos thing. I laid hands on one at Sweetwater a few month back ... thought it was nice, but wasn't stricken. I've banged on the 88 key version prominently displayed in my local guitar center a time or two since then - and each time seem to discover something else that I like about it. I spent a good hour playing it today (used my Live Wires ear buds today - so I didn't have to listen to the 13 Beatz arteests who were banging away on Gias and MicroKorgs all around me. I'm still not 100% sold on the feel of the keybed (as compared to the action on my CP300....) - but definitely like the sound palette as well as the flexibility of the workstation features. It may be time to start thinking about how to add one to my rig!

My last new keyboard having been a Classic Motif in 2001, I was a bit overdue for a new board. So I had more than a bit of GAS for the Kronos. I got caught up in the hype and pre-ordered one. When it arrived---while it did everything I hoped it would, I have to admit that some of the hype left me a bit unwhelmed as far as the actual sounds of the board go. But that didn't last long. The more I use it, the more I realize how versatile it is. I quickly dumped all my rack modules and now just use the Kronos and the Motif which is midi'ed directly into the Kronos. There is so much versatility with the sounds and so much polyphony that I certainly don't need the rack stuff anymore. I still think the Motif (even my old Classic version) beats the Kronos when it comes to recreating some acoustic instruments---especially strings---but a lot of that stuff ends up being personal-taste stuff anyway.

Every player is going to have their own preferences when it comes to sounds and workability, but the Kronos is a serious machine. And this is coming from a guy who never really liked ANY Korg board very much before. This is the first Korg machine I've ever owned.

• Members

Every player is going to have their own preferences when it comes to sounds and workability, but the Kronos is a serious machine. And this is coming from a guy who never really liked ANY Korg board very much before. This is the first Korg machine I've ever owned.

The "workability" thing is something I'm trying to get my head around as I consider this purchase. I like alot of what I hear from the Kronos. However, I love much of what I get from my current rig as well. Especially my CP300 and Motif ES rack combination. I've been futzing with the Kronos 88 key unit - and like the feel. But it's not the same love the feel that I have of the way my CP300 feels. I'm thinking that maybe picking up a Kronos 61 to replace my RD700SX that serves as my "2nd board" now might give the the best of both worlds. I could easily use the Kronos keyboard for things best played on the ligher synth action (i.e., organs, ets.) - and still have full access to the Kronos sound engine via a weighted action board by simply controlling it with my CP300. Heck, properly zoned - I could easily layer sounds from the Kronos engine AND my Motif ES Rack unit.

Just curious Dave - what's your opinion on the Kronos learning curve? Did it take you alot of time to integrate it into your live rig?

• Members

Just curious Dave - what's your opinion on the Kronos learning curve? Did it take you alot of time to integrate it into your live rig?

No. In fact, that was one of the most pleasant suprises about the board. It is (at least for me, anyway) extremely intiutive. I had it integrated into my rig within a couple of weeks. I did one gig where I had the Kronos as part of the rig, but I had my full old rig still in place "just in case". I didn't really need the old stuff. I had the Kronos ready to go. OTHO, I struggled with the Motif manuals and spent a lot of time asking questions online, etc, to be able to learn how to use that board. I rarely even go to the Kronos manual. It's layed out (for the most part anyway) how I would want to be. Again, I can't speak for anybody else---maybe the Kronos just matches how MY brain is wired--but I found it a very easy board to learn.

It's got some quirks for sure. Every board does. I think the touchscreen is too small, for example. Especially for an old guy like me. But

• Members

Every digital synthesizer is a computer in a keyboard case running soft synths.*

Unless it's a hybrid, of which I can't think of any recent examples, which doesn't mean there aren't any.

Or if it's rack or desktop. Then it wouldn't have a keyboard case.

*This statement is extremely simplistic but technically defensible.

So, bring it, if you must...

Archived