Kronos what about it?

minimoog

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

why are you taking it apart?....interesting the 'engine' looks like a laptop motherboard not your average synth electronics.

Desktop motherboard, actually. You commonly see boards of that size used in small-form-factor PCs. Not much of a surprise, since Korg has publicly stated that the Kronos runs an Atom processor and uses off-the-shelf DDR2 DIMMs.

• Members

Desktop motherboard, actually. You commonly see boards of that size used in small-form-factor PCs. Not much of a surprise, since Korg has publicly stated that the Kronos runs an Atom processor and uses off-the-shelf DDR2 DIMMs.

so not much stopping Korg releasing a VST plugin other than being rather hesitant on some people pirating the software so reducing income.

• Members

so not much stopping Korg releasing a VST plugin other than being rather hesitant on some people pirating the software so reducing income.

Except that it's running a completely different OS. BUT, they've already released a bunch of VST's including several not in the Kronos. Who knows what they'll release next? It's nice to see they constantly shake things up and release things that are unexpected.

-Mc

• Members

Is there an Nvidia 3D card option? B}

I realize that you're joking, but no. They'd have to reprogram the OS to accommodate outboard graphics, and the motherboard only sports a standard PCI expansion slot. PCI-based graphics cards aren't even worth getting out of bed for, these days.

• Members

did yours act up ? Or are you replacing it just because ?

I can't duplicate any note cutoff on my 88. Let me know if there is a secret trick, other than whining on the Korg forum for 3 months

:)

I can't say who's Kronos 88 it is because I'm not authorized to do the install.

But, I CAN say that my Kronos never, ever, ever had the cutoff issue. My Kronos 88 has a serial number less than 110 so mine's definitely a first run and I never had any issues. I'm still not convinced it's {censored}ty playing style and the whining and "OH MY GOD KORG HAS TO FIX THIS OR I'LL DIE THEN I'LL SUE" crap was so bad I quit going to Korg Forums. According to some of the whiners on there, I don't know anything about the KRONOS *OR* the keybed... so I'll take my lack of knowledge elsewhere.

-Mc

• Members

I sure get tired of this argument. There's more proprietary hardware in there than "just a $200 computer". That's the downside to using readily-available components; You risk someone looking at it and going, "pfffff, *I* coulda built that for less from Walmart". So far as I know, there's also some significant heavy-lifting being done in some custom chips and what-not. The Atom is basically just a traffic cop and UI manager.

The Atom is the core of the Kronos, Korg has NOT stuffed the Kronos full of dedicated VSLI hardware for handling the effects, filters, etc. The Kronos is a keyboard case with an atom based computer inside and a soundcard. There is no extra Korg hardware magic, it's a bunch of VSTis running in a dedicated Linux shell. If you value the software to 2000 dollars (when you can get something like Komplete 8 for under 500) that's your choice.

• Members

While I have it apart, is there anything anybody wants a picture of? I don't plan on taking another Kronos apart for a while...

-Mc

ElectricPuppy wants a picture of all the extra hardware Korg has added like the "custom chips and what-not". He wants the proof that "The Atom is basically just a traffic cop and UI manager."

• Members

The Atom is the core of the Kronos, Korg has NOT stuffed the Kronos full of dedicated VSLI hardware for handling the effects, filters, etc. The Kronos is a keyboard case with an atom based computer inside and a soundcard. There is no extra Korg hardware magic, it's a bunch of VSTis running in a dedicated Linux shell. If you value the software to 2000 dollars (when you can get something like Komplete 8 for under 500) that's your choice.

It is not a PC in a plastic case.

Korg is using an embedded systems design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_system

The cost of software and development is the big ticket here.

It probably took +3 years to get it right. Significant people

time, design, technical programming, testing, etc, etc.

Plus it is flexible enough for future growth, more sound engines, etc.

That is no accident, thats part of the design.

The circuit board , processor, what you see, is the

least expensive part of the project. They did not simply

port the OASYS over in a cheaper case, either.

This was discussed under the epic , 8 mile long

Kronos thread early last year.

BTW, I worked 3 years for an embedded systems company.

This co was recently acquired by Intel who wanted to acquire

that technology. It is also known as device software optimization, and the technology

has been around since 2001, and has really taken off in 2004, with the explosion

of mobile devices.

• Members

It is not a PC in a plastic case.

Of course not. I spoke to some Korg engineers (sorry, can't name any names) and they told me the Korg Kronos was precisely this:

35% - roughly 15 years of Korg engineering

25% - awesome

40% - love

...in a case.

Please don't share this with anyone as I don't want to see anyone copy Korg's magic formula. :(

-Mc

• Members

Clearly you are an expert in real-time embedded systems. Since we're all obviously deluded about the Kronos, please enlighten us further, won't you?

Archived