Kronos what about it?

minimoog

• Members

I haven't found any sensitivity settings but I don't see it being an issue based on the design. The pads are SOLID

In the Korg Kontrol Editor software, if you select the nanoPad 2 and switch to the "Global" tab (in the upper-right corner of the screen), you can select between four different velocity curves for the pads. You have normal (linear), light (looks like exponential), heavy (looks like logarithmic), and constant (fixed, and you can set the value).

The Global tab also lets you do cool things like set user scales for the Kaossilator mode and customize how you want the X-Y pad to function when it's transmitting CCs. Looks like the latter mode, in particular, lets you just about replicate the M3's X-Y functionality (the only thing you miss is the ability to record motion).

Edit: Just to bring things back on-topic, I'll add a bit of editorializing. Based on what I'm seeing about the nanoPad 2, I'd consider it to be an essential Kronos accessory -- especially for anyone upgrading from an M3 who might otherwise lament the Kronos' lack of built-in drum pads. If Korg could somehow port the RADIAS over, I'd really have no need to keep my M3 except as a second keybed.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ahhhh.... I thought you meant velocity settings on the KRONOS for the external pads similar to the way the M3 would allow you to calibrate the pads.

Ironically, I sold my M3 module but kept the 73 key keybed and mounted my RADIAS to that (with the 49 keybed up for sale on CL at the moment). The RADIAS is an under-appreciated beast and it has a certain sound that I just can't replicate with the AL1 engine.

-Mc

• Members

All sound great. So great, that the slight variations in subjective sonic character is the only miniscule argument left in fan boy matches. But in my eyes, and ears, only PC3 can compete in value with Kronos. The screen is smaller, but its cheaper. Both have intriguing engines for rather endles sonic adventures, raising them above others in my a bit more objective side of honest opinion.

• Members

Yeah, in that comparison, Kronos sounds surprisingly thin. Nord's EPs are extremely beefy and in-your-face sounding, whereas Kronos' sounds way too pure. And PC3 holds its own, and I mean that in a good way.

Plus the PC3 is a far, far, far superior controller.

• Members

Yeah, in that comparison, Kronos sounds surprisingly thin. Nord's EPs are extremely beefy and in-your-face sounding, whereas Kronos' sounds way too pure. And PC3 holds its own, and I mean that in a good way.

sure, the recording level on the Kronos ( the german grand) was low. In addition, the AP's on the Kronos, out of the box , sound a little dry, without much punch.

I think that was intentional by Korg, start out understated with the AP and let each customer modify to taste.

Adding EQ and changing the curve around greatly brings out the character and detail of each grand.

• Members

really ??

A pretty {censored}ty comparison for a couple reasons:

1. Different players on different keyboards playing different songs with different patches. Never mind the different skill levels of the players. The Kronos player looks afraid of it he's so timid.

2. In round 1, the guy playing the Kronos doesn't play the best piano patches on there. Instead, he plays some Karmafied patch with strings and a synth bass and drums. I'm not even sure that patch uses the SGX-1 engine and may be using regular piano samples.

3. EVERYBODY knows how great the audio from a compressed Youtube clip is.

4. Do we know if everybody is going through the same amp/PA and if not... well if not, the whole comparison is blown right there.

As a Kronos owner, I can say the Kronos is anything but thin.

• Members

A pretty {censored}ty comparison for a couple reasons:

1. Different players on different keyboards playing different songs with different patches. Never mind the different skill levels of the players. The Kronos player looks afraid of it he's so timid.

2. In round 1, the guy playing the Kronos doesn't play the best piano patches on there. Instead, he plays some Karmafied patch with strings and a synth bass and drums. I'm not even sure that patch uses the SGX-1 engine and may be using regular piano samples.

3. EVERYBODY knows how great the audio from a compressed Youtube clip is.

4. Do we know if everybody is going through the same amp/PA and if not... well if not, the whole comparison is blown right there.

As a Kronos owner, I can say the Kronos is anything but thin.

and its not quite the same playing piano on a 61 synth action.

Did you read the rumor that the Bosie grand for the Kronos is out in a few days ?

• Members

I'm a live performance guy. As a live performance board, the Kronos is awesome: great sounds; easy to use; tons of polyphony; all the different sound engines in one package.

What I don't get is the complaints from the non-live guys. I would think that a computer set up, with all the various sound fonts available would ALWAYS trump an all-in-one workstation and the obvious compromises workstations always have. Why would the non-live guys even WANT a workstation? Let alone complain about what may lack about them?

• Members

Why would the non-live guys even WANT a workstation?

For me, workstation keyboards offer substantial workflow improvements compared to a DAW. In particular, with something like the Kronos, you only need to learn one UI across a wide variety of sound engines.

About the only things I don't use the M3 for are sequencing (FL studio's piano roll is easier to use, especially on a large monitor) and mixing (due to the M3's limited effects routing).

• Members

I'm a live performance guy. As a live performance board, the Kronos is awesome: great sounds; easy to use; tons of polyphony; all the different sound engines in one package.

What I don't get is the complaints from the non-live guys. I would think that a computer set up, with all the various sound fonts available would ALWAYS trump an all-in-one workstation and the obvious compromises workstations always have. Why would the non-live guys even WANT a workstation? Let alone complain about what may lack about them?

thats a good point. Korg has always created interesting combis. I suspect it would take a bit of time to set up similar combis on a computerized setup.

I don't play live and I would never trade my Kronos for a computer set up. It would take the fun/spontaneity out of my music if I used a computer based solution.

I work on my mac for my business, too. I tire of trying to do everything on the computer.

• Members

...and because this MAY void the warranty, I can't say who's Kronos this is.

However, my life would be a LOT easier if Korg would just let me be an authorized service guy. Hey Rich, anything you can do? There's no service center within 100 miles of me that have even SEEN much Korg gear let alone worked on it.

Archived