Diamond Spec Op - WOW!!!!

gtrwiz

• Members

I checked out one of these at my friends shop yesterday and what a killer amp! The first thing I noticed was that, for a high gain amp, there weren't a million switches and push/pull options, it's a pretty straightforward design but is still incredibly versatile.

For those looking for killer cleans in a high gain amp your search is over, very Fendery clean channel that once you get past noon starts breaking up with a sweet bluesy rock tone. Channel 2 has two gain and volume controls for the same channel, which are switchable, and gain one by itself had enough gain to compete with most high gainers, it was pretty sweet to get a cool mid gain tone and a high gain lead. Also it has a low control switch on the back that is global, this mainly fills out the tone without ever getting boomy or mushy. It's a very responsive amp, roll back the guitar's volume and you can get a nice crunchy Keef type tone. It also is nice and tight for rhythms but never feels stiff.

Bottom line - I've never been this impressed by a multi-channel amp.

• Members

the big boys here dont like them. just a warning. you will probally get responeses like "you dont know what the {censored} your doing i played one and it was the worst amp ever and your opinion dont count"

{censored} 'em...

• Members

{censored} 'em...

let me clarify that, most folks that have played them were at NAMM, one of the amps at NAMM had a problem I think it was a bad tube of something. Also I got to play it in a small shop where I was the only customer and I spent about an hour with it, and played if through a couple of different cabinets, all of which would be impossible do at the NAMM show.

• Members

i wanna play one, I like the looks, as long as the gain suits my fancy im sure i'd like it, BTW knowing that high gain amps aren't known for their cleans, hows the clean channel?

The cleans were very impressive, by far the best clean tone I've heard in a high gain amp. After I played it I went to another shop and played a Diezel Einstein, an Uberschall and an ENGL PB, the only one that could hang in any way was the Uber's gain channel, the Spec Op's clean channel spanked them all in a big way. It's very fendery.

• Members

Given the cheesy marketing that company does which is deliberately aimed at no-talent bedroom wankers who think br00tl is a word, it's really hard to take the company seriously.

They very well may have a very nice product. Too bad they pissed on their own head with the cheesewiz.

-W

• Members

I checked out one of these at my friends shop yesterday and what a killer amp! The first thing I noticed was that, for a high gain amp, there weren't a million switches and push/pull options, it's a pretty straightforward design but is still incredibly versatile.

For those looking for killer cleans in a high gain amp your search is over, very Fendery clean channel that once you get past noon starts breaking up with a sweet bluesy rock tone. Channel 2 has two gain and volume controls for the same channel, which are switchable, and gain one by itself had enough gain to compete with most high gainers, it was pretty sweet to get a cool mid gain tone and a high gain lead. Also it has a low control switch on the back that is global, this mainly fills out the tone without ever getting boomy or mushy. It's a very responsive amp, roll back the guitar's volume and you can get a nice crunchy Keef type tone. It also is nice and tight for rhythms but never feels stiff.

Bottom line - I've never been this impressed by a multi-channel amp.

BWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

OH MY ~~~ !!!!!!

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFGHHHHHHHTTTTTTT !!!!

I just shat myself!!!!!!!!!!

BBBWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

OH MY GOD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

I just jizzzzzzzzzzed my undies..................

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ack ack ack... HUUUUUGGHHRRGGHHHAYAYAYAYAAAAAAA!!!! UMMMPHHHH!!!

plop!!!

That is the WORST amp I jhave ever plugged into...

xgx

• Members

one guy made a thread about how him and a few other guys that played different styles tried it at namm and they all liked it. i think he was basically run out of harmonycentral. sad story really.

IIRC, the guy who posted that review came across like a fanboy and I believe he was suspected of being an actual employee until the owner showed up and cleared the air.

• Members

The cleans were very impressive, by far the best clean tone I've heard in a high gain amp. After I played it I went to another shop and played a Diezel Einstein...

Yeah, no.

I have more clients use my Einstein for cleans that they do my '59 Bassman or '65 Twin RIs. Combined. I've heard the Spec Op clean, and you're nuts.

The problem I have, is that everyone who champions Diamond amps comes in here with this " OMGZ! Itz teh greatess amp evar!" and compares it to the heavyweights. No one actually describes the tone, or what they like about it. I've heard two live, and I find them to be too hard and grainy for my taste - and those Rusty Cooley clips were terrible. I like the tightness, and it has a bit of definition to it, a good slice and chime, but overall, I'm not crazy about it. It's not very dynamic, and doesn't really do modern metal very well. It sounds to me like what the Krank Revolution SHOULD sound like - not a bad thing, mind you, just not the Godhead everyone who likes these amps seems to think they are.

I think it's a good hard rock amp, but not $2700 worth of good.

At $1799, it's in the discussion with Dual Rectos, upper end Peaveys, Marshalls, Krank, and the like, and it compares very favorably. At almost 3k, it's up there with the flagship models from Diezel, VHT, Bogner, ENGL, Framus, Soldano, and other boutique amps, and it just doesn't have the tone, the cachet or the juice for that rarified air.

• Members

Given the cheesy marketing that company does which is deliberately aimed at no-talent bedroom wankers who think br00tl is a word, it's really hard to take the company seriously.

They very well may have a very nice product. Too bad they pissed on their own head with the cheesewiz.

-W

do you care more about tone or marketing?

• Members

Yeah, no.

I have more clients use my Einstein for cleans that they do my '59 Bassman or '65 Twin RIs. Combined. I've heard the Spec Op clean, and you're nuts.

The problem I have, is that everyone who champions Diamond amps comes in here with this " OMGZ! Itz teh greatess amp evar!" and compares it to the heavyweights. No one actually describes the tone, or what they like about it. I've heard two live, and I find them to be too hard and grainy for my taste - and those Rusty Cooley clips were terrible. I like the tightness, and it has a bit of definition to it, a good slice and chime, but overall, I'm not crazy about it. It's not very dynamic, and doesn't really do modern metal very well. It sounds to me like what the Krank Revolution SHOULD sound like - not a bad thing, mind you, just not the Godhead everyone who likes these amps seems to think they are.

I think it's a good hard rock amp, but not $2700 worth of good.

At $1799, it's in the discussion with Dual Rectos, upper end Peaveys, Marshalls, Krank, and the like, and it compares very favorably. At almost 3k, it's up there with the flagship models from Diezel, VHT, Bogner, ENGL, Framus, Soldano, and other boutique amps, and it just doesn't have the tone, the cachet or the juice for that rarified air.

I disagree, I have a '64 Deluxe, a '68 Bassman, and a '69 Twin Reverb so I'm very familiar with Fender tone, the Spec Op gets VERY close to this tone. I gotta say, there was nothing at all about the Einstien that I liked.

As far as what amps it hangs with, I easily put it up there with Bogners, VHT, and other boutique's.

• Members

one guy made a thread about how him and a few other guys that played different styles tried it at namm and they all liked it. i think he was basically run out of harmonycentral. sad story really.

The thread is probably still around if anybody wants to see how it actually went down.

• Members
{censored} 'em...

I heard it Thursday at NAMM.........bad

I heard it Friday at NAMM......still bad

I heard it one more time Saturday.......yup.....bad

So the maker of this amp was running an amp with a bad tube for three days at NAMM huh??? How the hell is he going to fix other amps if the show piece of his amps was broken for 3 days and nobody did a thing?!?!?!?

You go f#%k off :wave:

Archived