Epi' Valve junior fans, what cab are ya rocking?

Son of 12

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've bought used tube heads for $125-200 that sounded really sweet. Peavey Triumph, Kitty Hawk Jr Pro, Sovtek Mig 60. Combos, new Pignose G40V for $219, used Crate Vintage Club 20 reverb for $100, used Vox Cambridge 15 (hybrid) for $65, used Vox VR30(hybrid) for $129(just like new with all papers and packaging) new Guitar Research T-64 half stack for $249.

Those Peavey Triumph amps are great sounding amps,esp. considering what they normally go for.Hate those POS footswitches that come with them,though!

• Members

Where did you buy the Hammond and what tonal differences did it make?

I ordered a Hammond 125DSE from STF Electronics, and it's the best $34 you can spend on this amp.

A MASSIVE improvement in overall sound. It greatly improved the lows, and cleared up the overall tone while removing the flab/mud. The natural overdriven crunch is less buzzy/grainy a bit tighter and uh.... crunchier.

As far as clean headroom, there is not a great deal more, but there is definately more USEABLE volume.

Past 2:00 on the Vol, before the OT swap, it was just too messy/grainy/flabby. After the swap, you can dime the volume and get a really good distorted crunch. Put a Monkey in front and you could do some hard rock.

• Members

I think this is my next mod then.

Fallowed by tweaking the bright switch a bit (it is pretty small dif right now whether on or off.

BTW here is a pic of mine:

EpiphoneJjr.jpg

Silly gain switch hole sliped when I drilled it.

• Members

I just read a bunch of mod review pages and they were using the 125 ESE not the DSE. I am so confused.

They are from the same family, the ESE is rated for a higher wattage.

If i were you, i would register at 18watt.com and start reading their valvejr thread. It's huge, and it will be a long read. But it will answer every question you have.

• Members
Care to share what mods you did? I put in a standby switch, bright switch, and gain switch.

But the transformer: worth it?

No, it isn't. A transformer is very expensive.
If you do a search on Ebay you will find at least three different circuit mods that will improve this little amp. Won't give it more wattage, but 5 tube watts is reasonably loud for recording or practice and enough to drive pretty much anything.
Also if you just Google for Valve Jr Mods, there are thousands of guys who have upgraded the circuitry cheaper than purchasing a mod from Ebay. Apparently, the original engineering leaves a bit to be desired (but a tube practice amp for 100 bucks is pretty good to start off with). You can start here (although this is for the combo. Don't get confused by Version 1 and version 2. The head only has Version 1) www.valvejunior.com
Phil

• Members
Everything I've read suggests that the tranny swap made by far the most difference in the amp.

The OT should be the first mod that you do to the Valve Jr..
It might be the only mod that you need to do!

The really opens this little amp up! :thu:

• Members

No, it isn't. A transformer is very expensive.

Uh, unless you're on foodstamps $35 shipped isn't that bad.

And all of the wonderfull mods on ebay, and all of the rest of those sites will not make the sonic impact that the OT swap will.

Trust me, I did two bitmo mods before the OT swap. While the Bitmo stuff made a big difference, they couldn't hold a candle to the 125DSE.

• Members
The 125 DSE is now $40.50 on STF's site. If the swap is just as easy as matching colored wires then I think that I just might try that out.

The colors are not the same on the Hammond 125DSE.
Changing the OT is not hard at all. Here's how you do it!

P r i m a r y W i r e s :

On the 125DSE are the Brown and Blue primary wires.
These go to to the output from the EL84 tube (in place of the Yellow and White wires on the stock OT).
Put a 1/4" shelded female spade connector on the end of both wires.
The Brown wire replaces the Yellow wire and the Blue wire replaces the White wire.

S e c o n d a r y W i r e s :

For the 16 ohm jack wire the White wire on the 125 goes to the PC board where the 16 ohm jack is.

For the 8 ohm jack wire the Yellow wire on the 125 goes to the PC board where the 8 ohm jack is.

For the 4 ohm jack wire the Green wire on the 125 goes to the PC board where the 4 ohm jack is.

The Black wire goes to the jack PC board where the exsisting Black wire is.

The Orange wire is unused. Cap it off with some shrink wrap or a wire nut.

Hammond 125 Schematic & Hook Up Data:
125dse.jpg125SEdwg.gif
Hammond 125 Installed In Epiphone Valve Jr.:

IMG_0361.jpg

• Members

Peavey Falcon>Peavey Rockmaster>Epi Valve Junior>Carvin 412H w/v30's

Yes the mids are a little harsh(even with mids scooped) and a liitle to glassy for me.

Gona do the Transformer mod soon. I hope that fattens up the bottom end a little and give it more balls, less glassy.WILL IT?

Running stock single coil pups, been looking to get a Dimarzio Super Distortion, or Duncan JB, Custom or Distortion.

Need a dist/od pedal to, didnt like the ts9 at all.

• Members
Yes the mids are a little harsh(even with mids scooped) and a liitle to glassy for me.

Gona do the Transformer mod soon. I hope that fattens up the bottom end a little and give it more balls, less glassy.WILL IT?

The OT change gets rid of that harsh sizzley sometimes annoying mid gange. :eek:
It opens up the bottom end and evens out all the frequences.

Much better amp after the OT change! :thu:

• Members

Thank you very much! Do you have thoughts on the differences between the DSE and the ESE that I seem to be seeing on all of the mod threads?

The DSE is 10 watts and ESE is 15 watts.

The ESE is huge and a few more $'s.

Some have said the ESE sounds a little better!

Is a 15 watt OT on a 5 watt $99 amp overkill?

I went with the DSE, it just seems like a better match for the Valve Jr..

Archived