Looks like Korn are using the New 8 String guitars....

Chrisjd

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Last time I listened to Korn was life is peachy, and the intro to good god or whatever it was went something like:

E-----20----

B-----------

G-----------

D-----------

A-----------

B-1-0-------

So like, they need two guitarists, one to go "dunga dunga" and one to go "squeee"

Actually they both do that. Then when they do the harmonics they blend pretty well.

• Members

I can understand bashing Korn for not evolving or for doing unplugged, but LIP rules.

Agreed. I still own that album.

But they never really moved ahead from there.

Just like Nickelback's "The State" was a killer album, and I've been less than impressed with their subsequent work.

• Members

some guys are just too good for just 6 strings, and that extra string helps them out. then there are guys like rusty cooley who need 8 strings to express themselves. then there are those pretentious {censored}ers who play 12 string basses. i mean, come on...there is such a thing as too much.

and then there's the rick nielsens of the world...friggin five neck guitars. vai was over the top with three...and that's VAI i'm talking about.

more isn't necessarily better...just ask people with cancer...

• Members

from what I remember, the signature bass sound of korn is the sound of the flabbiest and lowest tuned ever strings...I can't imagine how it's gonna be with 8 strings..but anyway..I still like some of their songs.

• Members

Even Wes Borland eventually gave up 7-strings, saying that he's not even good enough to play 6. He actually plays a 4 string a lot of the time.

A lot of Limb Bizkit's clean tone riffs involve two handed rhythm tapping (the concept mainly being with the left hand doing the lower strings and the right hand doing higher voicings).

Even when he used a 7-string he didn't use it tunned to standard with a low B. He used it with a drone note on the top.

It's wrong to prejudge a guitarist just because he was in a genre of music that was stereotyped by low string chugging. Sure, he did that but to say that's all he did just because it's all most of the people in the genre did would be ignorant.

• Members

they actually do...

and about the meshugguh guitarists, the stuff they play is extremely easy, it's just complicated rhythm wise.

ive heard people say this before and it never made any sense to me, thats like saying jason beckers stuff is easy to play if you do it at half the speed. The rhythm is what meshuggah are all about and theyre better at creating new and interesting grooves than anyone ive heard

James

• Members

:p
and how often does he actually do a solo?

his soloing isn't original either, it's a carbon copy of allan holdsworth.

Most songs have lead lines of some kind, even if its just to carry melody, but although heavily influenced by holdworth and gambale, its really only due the legato style he uses, which is common in a lot of fusion jazz. He also does a lot that holdsworth doesnt do, like the more bizarre atonal leads with lots of layers

James

Archived