Looks like Korn are using the New 8 String guitars....

Chrisjd

• Members

:lol:
Korn is about 10 years past their prime - you can only be angry at your mom and dad for so long before it becomes passe.

Past their prime is either a profound understatement, or just a flat out mistatement in that it assumes that they were actually good at some point.

To me, the the three "queens" of the "wanna be heavy" scene are:

Lincoln Park

Limp Biscuit

Korn

Which band is the gayest depends on which day of the week you ask me, but it doesn't get any worse than the "bottom three" as far as I'm concerned.

As for the 8 string, I thought 7 string guitars were lame because if you want to play in that low of a register, pick up a bass!! Asside from that, most of the dip{censored}s that play seven strings don't even play the guitar anyways. They tune the guitar to an open tuning and then just move one finger around the fingerboard. To me, that is the very definition of a "limp dick" player who just doesn't get it and never will.....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As for the 8 string, I thought 7 string guitars were lame because if you want to play in that low of a register, pick up a bass!! Asside from that, most of the dip{censored}s that play seven strings don't even play the guitar anyways. They tune the guitar to an open tuning and then just move one finger around the fingerboard. To me, that is the very definition of a "limp dick" player who just doesn't get it and never will.....

You'd have to be {censored}ing ignorant of music theory if you think that the only use of a 7-string is to play lower. You can play scale shapes, arpeggio shapes, chord shapes... Just about anything in ONE position rather then shifting.

• Members

Past their prime is either a profound understatement, or just a flat out mistatement in that it assumes that they were actually good at some point.

To me, the the three "queens" of the "wanna be heavy" scene are:

Lincoln Park

Limp Biscuit

Korn

Which band is the gayest depends on which day of the week you ask me, but it doesn't get any worse than the "bottom three" as far as I'm concerned.

Dude, maybe that was true 7 years ago, but the only people keeping 7 string sales alive are the progressive metal guitarists out there. Numetal died a death and we were all very happy about that, but the use of 7 strings wasnt purely limited to that genre. The music i write cant be played on a 6 string becuase i actually use all 7 strings, for extended chord voicings and all kinds of exotic arps. To be honest, a lot about the guitar is made easier with a 7 than a 6, not least becuase you dont have to shift position to do a full arpeggio and whatnot.

The hostility that 7s get always amazes me, especially with the amazing things some people do with them

James

• Members

So if people using an 8 string suck one string harder than the people using the 7, does that mean removing strings exponentially increases my ability? So if I took off a string, and used 5, would I be one string better? So like, Max Calavera using 4 strings means he's actually (roughly) three times better than Frederick Thorendal?

• Members

I know, only nu metal power chord players use seven strings. I mean Rusty Cooley, Jeff Loomis, Chris Broderick, John Petrucci ... what a bunch of know nothing hacks.

:rolleyes:

• Members

I just recently got into the 7-string, but I hate to see players be so hard on the instrument itself. I know tha a lot of "Nu-Metalers" used the 7 for the most basic reason, giving it a bad rep. But the 7-string guitar is actually pretty killer.

Anyone who disputes the good in extending the range of an instrument shouldn`t be playing. More range is more range irregardless of how some guitarist use it.

It`s not all about super radical dropped tunings. In fact I still use my standard 1/2 step dropped tuning and it sounds and feels incredible. I get the extended range of the low B, but keep all the charactoristics of all my 6-strings. I can still play all my songs written for the 6-string, but can drop down for something a little heavier when I want.

That`s not even counting the ways that a technical player can take advantage of the extended range.

Hating on Korn is cool, but hating on the 7 or 8 string guitar is just silly.

Eric

• Members

So if people using an 8 string suck one string harder than the people using the 7, does that mean removing strings exponentially increases my ability? So if I took off a string, and used 5, would I be one string better? So like, Max Calavera using 4 strings means he's actually (roughly) three times better than Frederick Thorendal?

{censored}, he cracked the code!

• Members

So HC decided to go take a {censored}...

• Members

...which resulted in a triple post.

• Members

As for Korn and 8 string guitars, hey someone has to carry the bottom end while their bass player consistently has the industry's thinnest tone and just slaps around and wanks off.

Like tic-tacs falling down the stairs was the best way I've heard his "tone" described.....

• Members

Like tic-tacs falling down the stairs was the best way I've heard his "tone" described.....

Nice. :D I have no idea why you'd scoop the mids out of your bass like that. :confused: It's one of the least defined tones I've ever heard.

As for the eight string, I think it's pretty cool. Drop the low F# to an E and you have the full range of a standard tuned guitar and bass in one instrument. Someone's gotta be able to do something cool with that.

Archived