5150 CREW!!!

GregLast

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I like it, not the same ol thang..
;)

BTW, heres a place has knobs if u need um. Theyve got some colored ones, like yellow, red, etc..
http://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/amp_parts

I'm deciding what color I want. But thanks for the props on the paint job. I kinda had a few ideas in my head and went to Lowes. My friend was buying black paint for his Peavey XXX to paint over the girls.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I need to sell my 5150 combo due to my current situation. It sucks, but when things come back around in a year or two I'll probably want a 1/2 stack anyway. I put it on CL in the Phoenix area for just $550, but haven't gotten any response. It's in excellent condition, comes with the footswitch, and even has mods like Celestion speakers, a choke, adjustable bias option, and newer tubes. I know the economy is bad, especially here, but I'm really surprised because these are considered high demand amps.

I have a nice detailed ad with a few photos, so I don't get it. Does it just take a while or something? No others to compete with on there right now either except for a few head versions which are priced about double. Also, If you live in AZ and are interested, let me know, otherwise, I would try to work something out, but shipping would be like $100, so IDK. Any suggestions? :confused:

• 10 months later...
  • Members

I'm going to be moved into a new place by the end of this week. I can finally crank my 5150 again!:love:

I've been thinking about trying some different speakers. Right now I have an Avatar 412 with V30's in it. What speakers would pair up well for an X pattern? I've been looking at K100s, WGS Reapers, and Scumback H or M 75s. Cant decide, but I'm leaning towards the K100s. Going for a tight modern metal sound with a lot of clarity.

• Members

I did the 10pf Silver Mica mod described here, and boy does it ever make a difference. It's a fair bit less noisy now, and the low end is tighter and more usable. The amp used to turn to total mush with the low over 7.5-8. Now I can dime it and it still stays tight and together. That mod should be mandatory for 5150 owners IMO. I haven't tried the other mods there other than the bias mod as my Fiddy already had it when I got it, but from their descriptions, I don't think I would like them.

• Members

Hey so what speakers/ tubes are you guys using with the 2x12 combo?

I've heard k100 are the way to go but some other opinions wouldn't be bad. So so k100s combo well with v30s?

Also does any one have schematics for the combo's footswitch?

• Members

I need a grill for the front of my 5150. How did you do yours?

i removed the grill from the wood, used cut down black pens as "spacers" and used 4 screws, 2 on each side, drilled into the 2 strips of wood on each side to hold the grill in place, used double stick tape for logos. cheap and reversable!!!

• Members

On my way right now to my studio. My band is having a pre-4th of July barbque, then plugging into my 6505 for a jam session. I was going to bring my Pitbull, but the 6505 hasn't been played in a while. Looking forward to the mid-range growl:thu:

• Members
@VTM can you explain in more details your 5150 face plate mode? I like the red leds...
:D

absolutely! i bought 4 black pens, cut them so they could slide onto 4 wood screws..the little pieces of wood inside on the left and right? perfect spot to use to mount the honeycomb grill..i figured how many "holes" should be between each screw and the bottom/top of the amp..each screw should be about 4 spaces from the top and bottom edge of the grill to be straight, and as far to the right or left as possible. i removed the back panel and tubes,then lined up the screws where they would be straight and as even as could be. used the cut pieces of the pens as a "spacer" of sorts, and to hide the screw. drilled them into place. holds the grill perfectly. for the LED's, just used the strips you can get at an auto parts store, and put one strip above the tubes towards the back, and one strip just where the front grill stops on the inside of the shell..two 8" pieces..so far its temporarily hard wired to a 12v adapter, but im going to wire a plug onto the LED's going to the back of the amp, and then plug in my 12V adapter..that way whenever the amp moves, i can just unplug it and not have a huge ass wallwart attached to the amp. figured that was the easiest way and i avoided interference. if you have any questions about the face plate description just ask again! everything i did to my amp was pretty budget friendly, but still looks decent enough i think

• Members

count me in {censored}ing love my 5150ii. I don't think any other amp sounds as mean as the 5150!

Im in the process of Revalving the amp and just waiting for jj6l6's as i've heard they are dark valves. I have 3jj ecc83's in the preamp for the gain side and 1 is used for the clean channel as well. so far it has made the amp sound a bit darker not as much treble

Settings are

Lead Channel

pre : 6

Bass : 6

Mid :4-5

Treble : 4-5

Presence : 5

Resonance : 5

Clean Channel

pre : 4

Bass : 6

Mid : 3

Treble : 4

Presence : 4

Resonance : 4

No bright

no crunch

Cabinet is a Harley benton with eminence GB12 and Governor, I have found this speaker combo is giving me a great sound which is very similar to AIC dirt album! way better than the GT75 vintage 30 mix I had before.

• Members

i have JJs in the power and pre to darken it up and still be aggressive as phuck, through the NORMAL gain input..kills some of the sizzle..play a lot of AIC, and i get a warm, dark tone that is great for playing jerrys riffage

• Members

i have JJs in the power and pre to darken it up and still be aggressive as phuck, through the NORMAL gain input..kills some of the sizzle..play a lot of AIC, and i get a warm, dark tone that is great for playing jerrys riffage

I don't really like the JJ pre's I've tried. I find them kind of dull and lifeless sounding. One can be ok. I have one in V2. Any more than that, and it makes the amp kind of lifeless IMO. I prefer Tung Sol. They're really 3d and articulate.

• Members

Don't have my 5150 anymore although it was an amazing amp but try this:
5150>maxon od808>mesa stiletto cab
pre gain 4.5
low maxed
mids 4
high 5.5
res max
pres 4
maxon set as straight clean boost (no drive, 1 o clock tone, full level)

• Members

I don't really like the JJ pre's I've tried. I find them kind of dull and lifeless sounding.
One
can be ok. I have one in V2. Any more than that, and it makes the amp kind of lifeless IMO. I prefer Tung Sol. They're really 3d and articulate.

hmm i have one tungsol RI i could try..maybe i should get some more!

Archived