5150 CREW!!!

GregLast

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

does the bias mod help get rid of the fizzy distortion characteristics? I play in a metal band and hear the 5150's are fixed biased or biased cold. We don't play death metal so I'm interested in a warmer tighter distortion. I just got this amp and it's in excellent condition and is loud as {censored} but it's kinda brittle.

• Members

does the bias mod help get rid of the fizzy distortion characteristics?

yes. {censored} yes.

any amp should be biased for the tubes in it. It's the only mod this amp needs if you ask me. I have no flub, no fizz, no white noise, no "bees" and the cleans are a nice 6L6-ish Marshall sort of clean. Crunch mode is the best Marshall sound I've ever had. I've brought damn near every high-gain amp discussed on this forum home to my studio and CRANKED each one and this amp wins for me, but with 10 good tubes and a proper bias I'm happier with my sound than I've been in 26 years of playing. My favorite distortion of any amp out there for any and all styles.

• Members

I have had four 5150's over the years (2 heads, 2 combos) and loved them. I went to a rack setup though recently so I sold the last 5150 I had. I wish they would have made a rack mount version at some point. A little off topic- but does anyone know what rack preamp would get closest to a 5150?

• Members

I am supremely happy with the bias mod on my 5150. It's a night and day difference with the other guy in the band. His is fizzy, mine is not. His hisses where mine does not. Bias mod is where it's at.

do you lose anything with the bias mod? gain etc.... or is that the "clarity" mod im thinking of? ive always been afraid to do anything to mine to change the tone...

• Members

do you lose anything with the bias mod? gain etc.... or is that the "clarity" mod im thinking of? ive always been afraid to do anything to mine to change the tone...

The sound is pretty different I think, but I didn't loose anything or gain anything. Just the change in sound. Tubes don't last as long, but that's what happens when you start running them twice as hot as factory (give or take).

• Members

proper bias makes any amp sound better, period.

objectively, that's it. not really subjective in any way I can imagine ie I can't imagine anyone preferring the sound of an amp that is not biased properly versus the same amp that is biased properly.

fixed bias amps, and the reasons for their existence? another thread.

• Members
proper bias makes any amp sound better, period.

objectively, that's it. not really subjective in any way I can imagine ie I can't imagine anyone preferring the sound of an amp that is not biased properly versus the same amp that is biased properly.

fixed bias amps, and the reasons for their existence? another thread.

I agree with you on the fixed bias...that's the reason I prefer the combo version of the 5150, they sound a little warmer to me...but I still wonder if an adjustable bias would benifit at all. AND...your friggin avatar is the most fapable thing I have ever seen. I now have 1 less sock in my sock drawer.:love:

• Members

I'm pretty sure I'm going to re-join the 5150 club soon. This will by my third 5150 (one was a 5150 and one was a 5150II). Not sure if I want the I or the II this time around. The switchable crunch is kinda cool. I'll be buying new this time since they are so cheap new anyways. Looking forward to it :thu:

• Members
I'm pretty sure I'm going to re-join the 5150 club soon. This will by my third 5150 (one was a 5150 and one was a 5150II). Not sure if I want the I or the II this time around. The switchable crunch is kinda cool. I'll be buying new this time since they are so cheap new anyways. Looking forward to it
:thu:

I like my +, & Ive tried a 3 in GC B4, but i wouldnt mind giving one a proper whirl with the band.

• Members
I agree with you on the fixed bias...that's the reason I prefer the combo version of the 5150, they sound a little warmer to me...but I still wonder if an adjustable bias would benifit at all. AND...your friggin avatar is the most fapable thing I have ever seen. I now have 1 less sock in my sock drawer.
:love:

I didn't have a point about fixed bias but here is more of bendy girl Zlata, who is really cute even without hooker makeup:

• Members

I like my +, & Ive tried a 3 in GC B4, but i wouldnt mind giving one a proper whirl with the band.

i wish i could afford one right now. 2 grands steep for me, but the III i tried was beastly. it surprised me how angry but clear it sounded. a little smoother than my blockletter on the lead, and not as much gunk in the mids....

• Members
I'm pretty sure I'm going to re-join the 5150 club soon. This will by my third 5150 (one was a 5150 and one was a 5150II). Not sure if I want the I or the II this time around. The switchable crunch is kinda cool. I'll be buying new this time since they are so cheap new anyways. Looking forward to it
:thu:

6505+
mod lead channel to 6505 specs. :love:
bias mod
etc... :)

• Members

has anyone gone from boosting their fitty, to going straight in? i know a lot of guys don't boost at all, but recently i stopped using my maxon and going straight in with no pedals what so ever, and i think its pretty sick.
how about the effects loop? can you tell the difference in tone when its switched off when you have a pedal in the loop?
i may be just running a cord straight to the head from now on....

• Members

has anyone gone from boosting their fitty, to going straight in? i know a lot of guys don't boost at all, but recently i stopped using my maxon and going straight in with no pedals what so ever, and i think its pretty sick.

how about the effects loop? can you tell the difference in tone when its switched off when you have a pedal in the loop?

I've never boosted this amp. It's always been guitar -> head -> cabinet with me. I'm super happy with mine just the way it is. I'll try and record something this next week.

• Members

I don't boost mine. I run straight in with a ISP Decimator in loop.

• Members

I dont boost it. I messed with a Tube Screamer in front of it once, but nah.. Its straight in for me.

wayne, do you notice a difference in tone with the pedal in your loop? i've got a dd6 here at the house and im just trying to figure out if it'll affect the tone with the loop switched off...?

cap'n, do you run any other pedals with the amp? i found i don't need the boost anymore, the duncans are so high output, the pre gain on 3 is sufficient....

now i want to get it bias modded, and have the simplest rig ive ever used

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

cap'n, do you run any other pedals with the amp? i found i don't need the boost anymore, the duncans are so high output, the pre gain on 3 is sufficient....

now i want to get it bias modded, and have the simplest rig ive ever used

I DO run a Boss VF-1 in the loop... Set up right, I like it. Its quiet & does what I need well! I use it mainly for the delay & phaser, & occasionally for reverb or some big elaborate effect.

Oh yeah, & I use a wah in front.

Archived