5150 CREW!!!

GregLast

• Members

Your user name is appropriate.

:poke:

But your avatar grants you leniency.

:thu:

:D my humble gratitude for the leniency... ;)

I play Rock-thru-Metal, & some occasional "psychedelic blues-jazz jams"

My speakers are Eminence Tonkers. VERY nice with the 6505+.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Only semi-recent pic I have is from my cell phone...

12-17-07_2242.jpg

That's a 6505+ on top.

I don't have it stacked like that anymore. I just use the 5150 for band practices and my 6505+ stays "stored" in my room until a show comes up...

• Members

Thanks guys. I'm not really into metal but am a huge VH fan. I've heard some good VH clips with the 5150, even though lots of people say you can't do that, which I don't quite understand.

I'm seriously thinking of picking up a combo over the summer.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm in! I had a 5150 block letter w/ a matching 4X12 straight cab years ago. I wish I still had it, and I'm trying to locate who bought the head...but no luck so far.

Right now I've got a 5150 combo. I've been thinking about sending it off to FJA so he can mod it up, but I wish I could hear more modded combos first. Anyways...here's an older pic of it:

IMG_0089.jpg

• Members

I just felt like I'd make an addition to the thread.

I had a 4 year old set of JJ's {censored} the bed a week ago, threw in an old ass set of Peavey tubes (Those old Sylvania USA tubes that came in the block letter heads!) I ahve layinga round in there, and I gotta say tehy sounded like ass. Probably just used up. They measured up at 28, 33, 33, and 38. So they werent even properly matched which probably had something to do with how blah they sounded, and at first I thought they sounded better than the old JJ's! Once I got the bias down to an acceptable range the tone got really bland. They were WAY hot when I threw them in. I suppose they were meant to run a little hot given how cold Peaveys tend to come from the factory.

So my new set of tubes got here today and I gotta say these TAD 6l6GC STR's sound AMAZING in there. All the tightness, clarity, and creaminess I've been slowly losing over the last few years is coming back. unfortunately I can't A/B them with a fresh set of JJ's, only my old set, so take it with a grain of salt, but I dont remember thinking the SED Winged =C=s sounded this good either. I'm tempted to tear my Classic 120 apart to get them back out and try them, though.

But definitely I dont think anyone would be disappointed with the TADs 6l6GC-STR's. They sound fantastic. :thu:

NewRig.jpg
I got to find out where I put my old mesh grille, I want to throw that back in and do the old faceplate-mod... it looked so rad the first time!

And a 5150 combo? Jesus man put some casters on that thing. You're going to break your back. :(

• Members
I dont remember thinking the SED Winged =C=s sounded this good either. I'm tempted to tear my Classic 120 apart to get them back out and try them, though.

But definitely I dont think anyone would be disappointed with the TADs 6l6GC-STR's. They sound fantastic.
:thu:

Mine has some Ruby 6L6GC MSTR, & Im pretty happy with them, but I havent tried anything else in there yet.

Ive got some Sovtek 6l6wxt sitting around.. I should compare them just to see if theres a difference.

• Members

Anyone know the tube layout for the preamp on a sig 5150?? Which is V1, V2 etc...

No dude... That info wont be released by the government for another 28 yrs...

:p;)

Anyhow, They arent labeled sequentialy L-R, so here's a little chart:

http://www.fjamods.com/5150Models.html

And here's a thread to help complicate things.. I know what they are for my plus, but not for the standard.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1911298

• 11 months later...
  • Members

UNBURYING A THREAD THAT SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN BURIED. LETS TALK ABOUT 5150, ZOMBIES.

About to order some tubes for the beast. What has been a killer tube combo for you dudes? I'm playing hardcore, but keep my pre-gain on about 3, so I'm not looking for the gainiest of gain.

• Members

Im definetly a 5150 guy. I've had at least five of them, when I sell one, I get another one back again later on. It seems no matter what I get, it seems that I keep going back to the 5150 sound. IMO, my 5150-II sh*t all over my Dual Rectifier that I got rid of. It's a totally different tone indeed, but the 5150 seems to do the thrashy death metal stuff better. Especially if it involves lead runs or just in general evil sounding riffs.

That said, The Recto had an epic clean channel and I actually liked channel two better than channel three. The Recto was nice for long sustaining doomy tones as well.

I still say 5150's dont have a clean channel. I've never owned one that said clean on it. They do one thing and do it well :wave:

Archived