5150 CREW!!!

GregLast

• Members

Mine will never leave my possession. MY tone resides in the 5150. Some hate em, but I'll never be one of them. I love the gain voicing, that's really the thing with em I've grown so fond of. I love the dominant upper mid grind, that "airy/open" type vibe to the tight low end. They do drop tunings EXTREMELY well, and they are straight forward and to the point. Really hard to dial in a {censored} tone with one unless you're maxing the presence knob.

That said, I'll never get rid of it for another amp, but I would love to own some other amps out there who do it just as well, and have more versatility. Framus Cobra, Splawn Nitro, ENGL SE are the big 3. Sadly, it'll be a long time before I own any of them.

I'll share my settings too...might as well

Boosted Lead: Gets noisy...but I use a gate. I like it as tight as I can get it. :cop: I use an SD-1. I like the SD-1 with the fittys. It's also pretty damn saturated even on 5 with a boost..but I love how it brings more mids up..I love my mids!. I could get away with less gain most likely, but I tend to use more live, less recording.

Pre-gain: 5

Lows:5

Mids:3.8 or so(still plenty and I cut through easily)

Highs:6.5

Resonance: 6.5

Presence: 4

I sometimes switch back and forth from boosting the lead, and boosting the rhythm channel. Can get great tones with either channel.

I bought a set of TAD power tubes as per JerryP's recommendations in a few threads, and before that I had RUBY GCMSTR's and I've used JJs as well. The TADs are so far my favorite. More overall punch and depth then before.

As far as pre-amp goes...Tung Sol v1..Penta in V2, Shuguang 9th gen chinese up until the phase inverter which has a Sovtek LPS (Dougstubes.com suggestion, works well for me). Really digging this setup. Amp has a ton of clarity. Ton of harmonics. Really nice bite up top from the tung sol primarily. Overall a great balance.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

count me in im loving my 6505+

i have the sovtek 6l6wxt+ in the power section and jj ecc83s in my preamp......eventually im gona try out the jj 6l6s and all tung sols in the preamp......i run it into a mesa roadster 2x12 with v30s at bedroom levels and a mesa recto 4x12 when i crank it up

heres my settings

pre 6
bass 6
mids 2
treble 7
resonance 5
prescence 2

1111091910.jpg

• Members

While I'm not officially in the club, I'll be getting the 6505 112 pretty soon.

I did have a 5150 combo back in the late 90's that I gigged with. Great amp, I should have never sold it.

Saving my pennies, waiting for the 112.

• Members

Yeah man. My 6505 combo isnt going anywhere ever. Ill die with it still in my jam room!!

Settings:

rhythm pre-1
lead pre-5
lo-7
mid-5
hi-5
res-7
pres-5
posts to taste...

I got g12k100 speakers in mine, and I couldnt be happier. I do want to try out some legend v12s out of curiosity. I am considering doing the head/cab mod to it cuz its a {censored}ing bitch to lug around!! I typically stay on the lead channel. I dont like boosting, cuz I feel like it just takes away its ballsy low end. I have a list of amps that I would love to own in the future, but I will never sell this amp to get one of those.

• Members

im findng the 6505 to be a little overwhelming for the v30s in my recto 4x12

they do fine until i crank the amp than the speakers just seem to break up and get all farty do you guys have any suggestions in speakers that complement the 6505 well besides a 6505 cab

• Members

im findng the 6505 to be a little overwhelming for the v30s in my recto 4x12

they do fine until i crank the amp than the speakers just seem to break up and get all farty do you guys have any suggestions in speakers that complement the 6505 well besides a 6505 cab

This

Im in agreement that the 5150/6505 cabinets sound like ass

• Members

This

Im in agreement that the 5150/6505 cabinets sound like ass

No, it's more the stock speakers that sound like crap. When I finally put the WGS Veteran 30s in my cab it sounded 1000000% better. Compared to my buddy's marshall 1960A loaded with the same speakers, it sounds just as good, if not a little fuller.

• Members

I played a 6505+ half stack today. The clean channel is definitely a different beast than my JSX's. While the JSX has a darker, jazzier kind of sound, the 6505+ I played was very sterile yet punchy on clean. As for distortion, I could not find a setting that sounded good to my ears. I guess I was judging it too much by my JSX which has the most punchy, clear cutting distortion I've ever heard in a tube amp. The 6505+ was certainly better than the other tube amps I tried, so I guess that makes it ok in my book ;)

• Members
I played a 6505+ half stack today. The clean channel is definitely a different beast than my JSX's. While the JSX has a darker, jazzier kind of sound, the 6505+ I played was very sterile yet punchy on clean. As for distortion, I could not find a setting that sounded good to my ears. I guess I was judging it too much by my JSX which has the most punchy, clear cutting distortion I've ever heard in a tube amp. The 6505+ was certainly better than the other tube amps I tried, so I guess that makes it ok in my book
;)

You probably tried it thru {censored}ty speakers or youre just not a 5150 guy, but theyre one big favorite for a lot of metal guys.

Archived