Is there anyone on these boards 21 and under NOT playing metal or some *core?

JBecker

• Members
:eek:
I had no idea.

As for my labeling... how so?

Playing is playing, the attitude and passion that you show is what makes something "metal"......not the amount of breakdowns, spikes, blood,........

Barely hitting the strings on a clip and then quad tracking it is not metal...it has no soul unless you are reaching for it.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nope, because the truth of hte matter is being close minded and an elitist starts when you pretend that everything has clear cut labels and that some labels are good and other labels are bad. If you like bands from column A, RAWK!, if you like bands from column B, BEAT THE FAG!

Essentially, though you've been quite nice about it, your statement that metalheads are open minded and not elitist has become more ironic with each post you've made. It's cool, that's the way some people are about genre music, but it's something you just seem blissfully unaware of within yourself.

With metal labels are a must. I have gotten into this discussion many times, labels are needed within metal. Now I am not talking aout Neo-classical/folk/jazz/death/norsecore bull{censored} but simple black, death, melodic death, melodic black, etc etc. I can't understand how everyone whom thinks labels and genres pulls out the retarded Experimental/ambient/black/death/jazzcore bull{censored}, it only exists in your heads, no one actually believes that {censored} and certaintly not I.

• Members

I agree with you, but I don't see how this has anything to do with my post...

Also for what its worth.... breaksdowns =/= metal.

But how can you argue that breakdowns don't = metal, when you claim that you aren't extensively labeling genres?

• Members

But how can you argue that breakdowns don't = metal, when you claim that you aren't extensively labeling genres?

I don't see how I am "extensively" labeling a genre. Hardcore has breakdowns... the big chugga chigga breakddownzzzz is what hardcore (as it is currently known) is for.

• Members
I don't see how I am "extensively" labeling a genre. Hardcore has breakdowns... the big chugga chigga breakddownzzzz is what hardcore (as it is currently known) is for.

To exclude any certain element because it's "not metal" or belongs to another genre is extensive labeling. Just yesterday, I was listening to a band with a great, heavy Dual Rec tone - if I were to just say that, someone would expect heavy rock, maybe even metal. The band? Better than Ezra - about as far from both as exists.

The lines between genres are blurry at best, and to simply exclude something because it has breakdowns is silly. I guess if we're going by traditional definitions, then modern country music is really hard rock, since a lot of them are using distorted Marshalls and Les Pauls.

:idea:

• Members
To exclude any certain element because it's "not metal" or belongs to another genre is extensive labeling. Just yesterday, I was listening to a band with a great, heavy Dual Rec tone - if I were to just say that, someone would expect heavy rock, maybe even metal. The band? Better than Ezra - about as far from both as exists.

The lines between genres are blurry at best, and to simply exclude something because it has breakdowns is silly. I guess if we're going by traditional definitions, then modern country music is really hard rock, since a lot of them are using distorted Marshalls and Les Pauls.

:idea:

Nile play Marshalls for brutal death metal, I'd say that is pretty unexpected. I made no comment regarding bands playing with diffrent amps.

Suffocation use breakdowns. But the breakdown itself is not a part of metal or even something popular in it, they are popular in hardcore however, as I said hardcore is known for the generic and typical breakdown. Digital Jams post implied that breakdowns are a big part of metal however that is just clearly wrong.

• Members
dear lord, who gives a {censored}
:freak:

Kill_the_Son, Too much, and that is the problem.

These arguments always turn into ego-fests about who knows the most about labeled metal.

{censored}s sake, who gives a {censored} if its "Mathcore" or "Grind," if you like it, listen too it. If bands werent labeled so much, you might find bands you wouldnt listen too now because theyre metalcore quite exciting...

• Members
Suffocation use breakdowns. But the breakdown itself is not a part of metal or even something popular in it, they are popular in hardcore however, as I said hardcore is known for the generic and typical breakdown. Digital Jams post implied that breakdowns are a big part of metal however that is just clearly wrong.

So is Suffocation not metal, since you painted "breakdowns =/= metal" with such a broad brush?

Just call it all hard rock or rock and be done with it. There are going to be bands you like, and bands that you don't and just call it a day at that. :thu:

• Members

I agree with you, but I don't see how this has anything to do with my post...

Also for what its worth.... breaksdowns =/= metal.

you so so so so so don't get it.

show me who made you, of all people. the authority on what is or is not metal.

metal to me is like punk, where only what's in the mind of the creator is what matters. same with the blues.

• Members
Digital Jams post implied that breakdowns are a big part of metal however that is just clearly wrong.

No................I just threw that in because the elites throw that term around.

BTW.....George Lynch of Dokken years would gape the guitarists from Nile ;)

• Members

With threads like this, please bring back politial and relougious threads. Pllleassseee!!!!

Starting the thread, knowing he is going to get backlash, then acting injured and dismayed is attention seeking in the extreme.

• Members
So is Suffocation not metal, since you painted "breakdowns =/= metal" with such a broad brush?

Just call it all hard rock or rock and be done with it. There are going to be bands you like, and bands that you don't and just call it a day at that.
:thu:

You must have that spoon pretty far up your ass. You arn't reading a damn thing I am saying.

Breakdowns =/= metal but as I said Suffocation does use them in limited quantities, a brutal death band. Breakdowns exist within metal but they are not a metal technique. I'll say it again, breakdowns =/= metal.

Digital Jams post implied three things (jokingly I presume but oh well) breakdowns, spikes, and blood. Spikes... check. Blood... check. Breakdowns... no.

Let us now procede into the bizzaro world where metal is called "rock"...

swishswishswoshswish

Hey guys! I love rock! Suggest me some rock bands!
Prostitute Disfigurement
Gigantic Brain
Clandestine Blaze
Graveland
Oh sorry about that, you said you wanted "rock" bands, apologies kind Sir.

• Members

you so so so so so don't get it.

show me who made you, of all people. the authority on what is or is not metal.

metal to me is like punk, where only what's in the mind of the creator is what matters. same with the blues.

The Oi!, anarcho or crust kind? I do so love me some Amebix.

• Members

swishswishswoshswish

Prostitute Disfigurement

Gigantic Brain

Clandestine Blaze

Graveland

I can dig calling it rock, or maybe even metal, but now there's "metalcore" "grindcore" "death metal" "black metal" "tech metal" "blast core" "elmo core" - see what I'm getting at? I think that the music world would be a lot better if people were less concerned with who the in-vogue band is at the moment, and what style is the current hot trend, and would just write, play, and listen to the music that they enjoy, regardless of style. On my iPod, I have everything from Atreyu to Brad Paisley to Maroon 5 to Time in Malta - I don't care what the style is, as long as they write a good song.

• Members

With threads like this, please bring back politial and relougious threads. Pllleassseee!!!!

Starting the thread, knowing he is going to get backlash, then acting injured and dismayed is attention seeking in the extreme.

Does anyone agree with this guy?

I'm not acting injured. I'm not surprised someone came in with backlash, but since the thread wasn't really looking to involve or address any of the issues this conversation has become I had no expectation the conversation would devolve to what it is.

If you don't like it, don't click it.

But you're still the only one who seems to think this is all just a brilliantly executed trolling attempt. I've been around long enough and made enough posts that I don't need to seek attention on here. People who are reading hte same threads I am know who I am already. I'm looking for some of the guys where I haven't learned who they are yet because their post counts are lower and their threads are buried in other much on this forum.

• Members

You must have that spoon pretty far up your ass. You arn't reading a damn thing I am saying.

Breakdowns =/= metal but as I said Suffocation does use them in limited quantities, a brutal death band. Breakdowns exist within metal but they are not a metal technique. I'll say it again, breakdowns =/= metal.

Digital Jams post implied three things (jokingly I presume but oh well) breakdowns, spikes, and blood. Spikes... check. Blood... check. Breakdowns... no.

swishswishswoshswish

Prostitute Disfigurement

Gigantic Brain

Clandestine Blaze

Graveland

Set up a family tree. All of the stuff you insist does not exist as metal most certainly sits under the "Metal" general heading, whether you're happy about that or not.

But that's not hte point-- the conversation you're having and the tone with which you're having it is an excellent example of metal elitism. That may also make you unhappy, but it's the reality, and it's why it's a bit upsetting that you're so insistent that you and your fellow genre-ists are so open minded, yet you feel it's necessary to analyze, critique, and exclude material from within the genre you listen to/play the most.

That attitude often transcends just metal, even though it's probably not appropriate to do so (or even appropriate to have that attitude in the first place...).

• Members

I'm 17 and listen to and play the lightest, least brootal indie pop around. I play a handful of chords in any one song. I'm the least metal guitarist I knoww.

sadly because of this, I find it hard to find anyone to play with as the metaller's general opinion of me and my music taste is that it's "gay" as it's not played with the gain turned up to 20 and at 250 bpm

• Members

I get what you are getting at, and did the whole time, but I'm simply pointing out that saying that a certain element does not a genre make. Dig?

I can dig calling it rock, or maybe even metal, but now there's "metalcore" "grindcore" "death metal" "black metal" "tech metal" "blast core" "elmo core" - see what I'm getting at? I think that the music world would be a lot better if people were less concerned with who the in-vogue band is at the moment, and what style is the current hot trend, and would just write, play, and listen to the music that they enjoy, regardless of style. On my iPod, I have everything from Atreyu to Brad Paisley to Maroon 5 to Time in Malta - I don't care what the style is, as long as they write a good song.

You have actually heard something referred to as blastcore? I know of no such genre within hardcore, metal or even the hardcore EDM scene, maybe you are thinking

?.

I really do not see what your problem with genres and labels is. How else are you going to describe Regurgitate? It is grindcore. It isn't death metal, and yet it isn't hardcore punk. It is grindcore.

Genres and labels are needed the more music expands.

• Members
I really do not see what your problem with genres and labels is. How else are you going to describe Regurgitate? It is grindcore. It isn't death metal, and yet it isn't hardcore punk. It is grindcore.

Genres and labels are needed the more music expands.

No, they aren't needed. I don't want to have to have a dictionary to figure out what style of music I'm listening to. I've got far too much going on in my life to waste my time getting academic about styles of music. If I want to listen to pop, I'll listen to pop. If I want something more rock, I'll go to something more rock. If I want metal, hell, I'll listen to metal. I don't want it to become like diagnosing an illness to just figure out what style of music I listen to.

"Well, what are the symptoms?"

"Umm.....there's fast guitars, growling vocals, lots of key changes, and a bunch of meedlee-mee."

"Oh, that's metal-tech-psycho-core."

Archived