Will HC Forums Suck Forever?

McHale

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd

View Post

I suggest we relocate this forum elsewhere and periodically come back and point people to the new site.

Good idea - it'll make lurking much easier.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd

View Post

I suggest we relocate this forum elsewhere and periodically come back and point people to the new site.

Good idea - it'll make lurking much easier.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mediterranean

View Post

I nearly started a thread about the same problem.

You type a 2-page-long message, hit "submit" and you get a "Website not responding blah blah blah" message.

You have 1 chance in 298,837,001 to retype the exact 2-page-long message.

I've been having this problem for at least 3 or 4 months. Maybe longer. I don't even remember. But it really sucks.

If there are any people who left this place, it's probably mostly because of it.

So remember: if you're going to type a long message, let's say to a friend on here, through that (incredibly ridiculous) messaging "system", copy and paste the text into a word program *before* you hit "submit".

That is why I've been using the "copy before post" method for over 6 months. I only do it for posts over 2 lines.

You don't have to paste it to Word since it will stay in the paste buffer until you copy something else or your computer crashes.

Sad times indeed...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mediterranean

View Post

I nearly started a thread about the same problem.

You type a 2-page-long message, hit "submit" and you get a "Website not responding blah blah blah" message.

You have 1 chance in 298,837,001 to retype the exact 2-page-long message.

I've been having this problem for at least 3 or 4 months. Maybe longer. I don't even remember. But it really sucks.

If there are any people who left this place, it's probably mostly because of it.

So remember: if you're going to type a long message, let's say to a friend on here, through that (incredibly ridiculous) messaging "system", copy and paste the text into a word program *before* you hit "submit".

That is why I've been using the "copy before post" method for over 6 months. I only do it for posts over 2 lines.

You don't have to paste it to Word since it will stay in the paste buffer until you copy something else or your computer crashes.

Sad times indeed...

• Members

Hang in there, gang, things are about to change. I know the forums have sucked on and off for quite a while now, and I don't have an official timeline, but I know that we're going to be dumping the old vB stuff for an entirely new system, one with a proven track record on other high-volume sites.

Why it's taken so long to get there, I have no idea.

• Members

Hang in there, gang, things are about to change. I know the forums have sucked on and off for quite a while now, and I don't have an official timeline, but I know that we're going to be dumping the old vB stuff for an entirely new system, one with a proven track record on other high-volume sites.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPuppy

View Post

Not to bust your ballz, but let's recap the timeline thus far:

1 - Forum 1.0 - solid. worked flawlessly

2 - Forum 2.0 - sucked for different reasons (like the new look and feel), many people left

3 - Forum 2.5 - reversed some things that people hated, nobody came back, HUGE problems began with availability issues, lag despite less people use it

4 - More than 1 year passes with these issues as less and less people use the forums meaning it's clearly not a problem with traffic

5 - Forum 3.0 is coming? Ugh... Things CAN get worse ya know. It's been a trend here to get worse at EVERY "improvement."

frown.gif

I SAD.

• Members

View Post

Not to bust your ballz, but let's recap the timeline thus far:

1 - Forum 1.0 - solid. worked flawlessly

2 - Forum 2.0 - sucked for different reasons (like the new look and feel), many people left

3 - Forum 2.5 - reversed some things that people hated, nobody came back, HUGE problems began with availability issues, lag despite less people use it

4 - More than 1 year passes with these issues as less and less people use the forums meaning it's clearly not a problem with traffic

5 - Forum 3.0 is coming? Ugh... Things CAN get worse ya know. It's been a trend here to get worse at EVERY "improvement."

frown.gif

I SAD.

• Members

View Post

Because the owner - Musicians F®iend - has placed higher priority on sales promotion using the Harmony Central home page than on the discussion forums.

Based on their deployment of HC 2.0 and higher, I have zero faith the forums will improve.

Until MF sells HC, it won't be the community it once was.

This is not aimed at the moderators BTW.

• Members

View Post

Because the owner - Musicians F®iend - has placed higher priority on sales promotion using the Harmony Central home page than on the discussion forums.

Based on their deployment of HC 2.0 and higher, I have zero faith the forums will improve.

Until MF sells HC, it won't be the community it once was.

This is not aimed at the moderators BTW.

• Members

I think we all remember when this forum was hot. You'd have to go to page 9 to find yesterday's posts. Now it's GearSlutz, KVR, Synthtopia, VSE, Electro-Music, and a bunch of others.

Gearslutz is always about some bit of pricey analog gear, "Should I buy a Jupiter 8 or an OBX?" or some X vs Y vs Z synth comparison. But what I really don't like about GearSlutz is that there is more focus on gear then the music that the gear produces.

KVR has always been a software site, and that's cool. Synthtopia and VSE are pretty mellow forums, but slow. I haven't spent much time on Electro Music although I do like their DIY-ness.

Still, I like the company here. Plus, I play bass and guitar, so I browse those HC forums too.

• Members

Hilarious. This is the 3rd time of trying to post this:

Quote Originally Posted by bruto

View Post

Still, I like the company here.

Even if you didn't, if you went to another forum, you'd be the newb and wouldn't know anybody. And after you started to learn everybody, you wouldn't like any of them any better. We all may not all get along, but we know each other and have for a long time.

Plus, there aren't many forums that would allow a thread like Hai Guyz (well, when EP isn't throwing his moderator weight around to close it). smile.gif

So, is Musician's Fiend the reason this forum sucks or the sysops?

• Members

View Post

And, right on cue, I see the forums are in total Suck Mode today. Ugh. I can't say I blame anyone for giving up.

As for blame: It's corporate. Admins have been screeching for help just as long as the rest of us, and the suits have been, shall we say, "less than responsive."

Believe me EP, we know YOU GUYS, the guys here in the trenches who are ALSO users themselves, actually care. I just hope the mopes in charge realize that the forums are what bring us here. If the forums go away, this site will die. It's pretty simple.

-Mc

• Members

I already accepted all this forum difficulties as a modus vivendi around here. And posting here makes me more thankful, because you know that on the other side of the world, someone is struggling to do the same.

• Members

It is day 731 of Teh Suck.

The forum server continues to mock me. The virtual taunting has reached a new fever pitch, and the natives have noticed.

I alone must keep the hopes and dreams of a working forum among my brethren, while their souls are mercilessly crushed by the site software.

The other mods have (wisely) left me to fight. The admins are powerless against Teh Suits that continue to foist this madness upon my people. The travesty is spread thick upon us, like a sour layer of expired Nutella. Or Marmite. Whatever.

The Upgrade comes forth, we are told. The Upgrade will solve all problems and keep us happy and joyful.

But not today.

For today, we suffer.

O how we suffer.

Fin.

Archived