Will HC Forums Suck Forever?

McHale

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by The Real MC

View Post

Because the owner - Musicians F®iend - has placed higher priority on sales promotion using the Harmony Central home page than on the discussion forums.

Actually, the "content side" with the home page is on a different platform. It sucks too, which you'd find out real quick if you tried to interact with it like, y'know, publish an article or newsletter...

This is not aimed at the moderators BTW.

I appreciate that, because I remember sitting in a hotel room in Frankfurt covering Musikmesse, just before the HC 2.0 launch, and begging that they not flick the switch. Then when they did, I was left twisting in the wind because I'm the most visible person on the forums. At least they listened to me when Jon Chappell and I said they HAD to switch the forums back to vB, which did solve the problem for a while.

So here's the current situation.

MF has been working with a company on a new platform since the spring. There have been several issues that slowed things down, the primary one being how to get user reviews into the site. I recommended not worrying about user reviews given the dire situation with the forums, and that I felt the community would rather have useable forums and have to wait a few months for user reviews online than to have to wait even longer for useable forums. Assuming, of course, anyone would be left by then...

I've spent the last few days poking around the test environment. It's fairly close to what we have now in terms of look and feel, so it shouldn't be the horribly disorienting experience 2.0 was. Yes, there are some differences, but the silver lining is that the current state of the forums is so bad I'd settle for something that required a little getting used to as long as it was fast, reliable, and stable.

Right now there's an internal debate about whether to flick the switch sooner rather than later and hope for the best, or be more cautious and do more testing. The HC 2.0 experience was so traumatic we don't want a repeat. But the current situation with the forums is to wretched that it's hard to imagine anything worse. I have checked out other forums using the same platform, and I will say they're all zippy and stable. Some of them, like the AT&T forums, are pretty huge.

The other downside to launching asap is there will be little chance to prepare the community. "Hey guyz, guess what! New forums! Have fun!" was not the intention. But again, compared to the way things are now...

I do have to say a word in defense of "the suits." First, none of the current people were involved with the decisions that resulted in HC 2.0. They are acutely aware of how much the current situation sucks, as well as how much HC 2.0 sucked. The reality is that there are the resources to keep patching this platform, or the resources to build a new one, but not both. The problem with patching this platform is that delays when a more robust platform can be implemented. I'd prefer to deal with a crap forum if it means getting a good one sooner, than deal with a somewhat workable forum with a good one fading off further into the distance. In that respect, I feel they've picked the less worse of two bad options.

I am cautiously optimistic because the alternative is jumping off a very tall building smile.gif The situation will be resolved soon, very likely this month. There's a certain amount of risk involved, so the question is whether it's a major risk or just a chance of a few glitches cropping up. I guess we'll find out.

Stay tuned. I haven't slit my wrists yet. That would make it too difficult to cross my fingers smile.gif

• Members

Thanks Craig. It would be nice if things were resolved before NAMM. Lots of forum folks live vicariously through you guys and gals who attend and rely on the reports throughout the weekend. I hope we don't end up in forum hell while NAMM is going on. I'm just sayin'. And to be safe, I'll put it on my prayer list, how's that?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

Actually, the "content side" with the home page is on a different platform. It sucks too, which you'd find out real quick if you tried to interact with it like, y'know, publish an article or newsletter...

I appreciate that, because I remember sitting in a hotel room in Frankfurt covering Musikmesse, just before the HC 2.0 launch, and begging that they not flick the switch. Then when they did, I was left twisting in the wind because I'm the most visible person on the forums. At least they listened to me when Jon Chappell and I said they HAD to switch the forums back to vB, which did solve the problem for a while.

So here's the current situation.

MF has been working with a company on a new platform since the spring. There have been several issues that slowed things down, the primary one being how to get user reviews into the site. I recommended not worrying about user reviews given the dire situation with the forums, and that I felt the community would rather have useable forums and have to wait a few months for user reviews online than to have to wait even longer for useable forums. Assuming, of course, anyone would be left by then...

I've spent the last few days poking around the test environment. It's fairly close to what we have now in terms of look and feel, so it shouldn't be the horribly disorienting experience 2.0 was. Yes, there are some differences, but the silver lining is that the current state of the forums is so bad I'd settle for something that required a little getting used to as long as it was fast, reliable, and stable.

Right now there's an internal debate about whether to flick the switch sooner rather than later and hope for the best, or be more cautious and do more testing. The HC 2.0 experience was so traumatic we don't want a repeat. But the current situation with the forums is to wretched that it's hard to imagine anything worse. I have checked out other forums using the same platform, and I will say they're all zippy and stable. Some of them, like the AT&T forums, are pretty huge.

The other downside to launching asap is there will be little chance to prepare the community. "Hey guyz, guess what! New forums! Have fun!" was not the intention. But again, compared to the way things are now...

I do have to say a word in defense of "the suits." First, none of the current people were involved with the decisions that resulted in HC 2.0. They are acutely aware of how much the current situation sucks, as well as how much HC 2.0 sucked. The reality is that there are the resources to keep patching this platform, or the resources to build a new one, but not both. The problem with patching this platform is that delays when a more robust platform can be implemented. I'd prefer to deal with a crap forum if it means getting a good one sooner, than deal with a somewhat workable forum with a good one fading off further into the distance. In that respect, I feel they've picked the less worse of two bad options.

I am cautiously optimistic because the alternative is jumping off a very tall building smile.gif The situation will be resolved soon, very likely this month. There's a certain amount of risk involved, so the question is whether it's a major risk or just a chance of a few glitches cropping up. I guess we'll find out.

Stay tuned. I haven't slit my wrists yet. That would make it too difficult to cross my fingers smile.gif

Sounds like they will have to give the new platform a try.

Timing with NAMM is not great but this place is for free and worth it in the long run.

I hope all goes well and thanks for staying sane thumb.gif

• Members

Of course, what Craig has so diplomatically avoided saying is that all these problems are due to Hai Guyz reaching such a size that it has developed it's own extreme virtual gravitational field, wreaking havoc on all attempts to conduct serious business in its vicinity. As it sucks in all internet communication which ventures too near the event horizon, it ejects high energy pictures of scantilly-clad people and cats.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

Right now there's an internal debate about whether to flick the switch sooner rather than later and hope for the best, or be more cautious and do more testing. The HC 2.0 experience was so traumatic we don't want a repeat. But the current situation with the forums is to wretched that it's hard to imagine anything worse.

Just do it. Now. If it isn't perfect it's gotta be better than this frown.gif . If it goes wrong just blame it on me - I can take it biggrin.gif .

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Plink Floyd

View Post

I fear any tinkering of the current paradigm that might free the imprisoned karma of TonyRobbins. Or them Higgs Bozos.

The Karma is long gone and them Bozos have been thoroughly Higged. Time to put HC1.0 out of its misery and trot out HC3.0 smile.gif .

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard

View Post

It says here:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...ement.php?f=18

''We will not have Open Jam or the Political Forum at the outset''

This is clear evidence that the ''HAI GUYZ!!!'' thread will take over the world...!!!

I'd be surprised if that thread makes it to HC 3.0 . Over at Talkbass.com they limit threads to 1000 replies before they close them as much longer and the board software crashes - so yes, ''HAI GUYZ!!!'' is the sole reason HC 1.0 is FUBAR biggrin.gif .

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger

View Post

I'd be surprised if that thread makes it to HC 3.0 . Over at Talkbass.com they limit threads to 1000 replies before they close them as much longer and the board software crashes - so yes, ''HAI GUYZ!!!'' is the sole reason HC 1.0 is FUBAR biggrin.gif .

mad.gif

cop.gif

facepalm.gif

cry.gif

mad.gif

• Members

All I know is HC forums only load about 50% of the time and when they do they are so sloooooow it's like being on dial up. Nothing wrong with the boards software it's the crappy outdated HW and slow pipe that are causing these issues.

Archived