so who here LIKES bright tones? lots of treble

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I always see a ton of people on here complaining about amps being too bright, hurting their ears, sounding "shrill", blah blah blah.... I don't get it. I like a LOT of treble.... I know psychodave on here is another guy that likes a lot of treble... anybody else?

I don't see why so many complain about brightness... you won't cut through very well in a band with the treble so low... also, I remember listening to a soldano SLO clip on here and it sounded like the treble was rolled all the way off.... why would you get a SLO to set it up like that? they are known for being really bright... that's why people like them... nice for lead playing

anyways... both clean and overdrive/high gain always sound dull to me without enough treble... has nothing to do with low mids/high mids thing either... I actually like low-mids more... like mesa and bogner, just with lots of treble along side it... I guess I'm not understanding why so many people bitch and complain about it and are so finicky... hopefully I'm not {censored}ing up my hearing already :freak:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like a lot of treble, presence, and mids. Cuts a hell of a lot better and has more grind.

yeah, same here... don't like the "boxy" sound you get from too much mids with 4 v30's though.. I usually lower the mids a little.. just until that boxy sound is gone. I don't think I'll have to lower them as much when I have the 2 v30's/2 gt75's speaker combo

• Members

I agree with treble being needed for cutting through the mix and bite. I like a little less treble on leads however for a bit more smoothness sometimes...

yeah, I know what you mean about the smoothness, but I use the neck pickup 90% of the time for leads, so that kinda rounds it off enough to keep it smooth

• Members

A good high-gain guitar tone should sound huge and agressive across the whole frequency spectrum, minus the sub-bass... It's not about the presence, but the harmonics, that's how you cut through the mix and still sound thick.

That being said, I turn the bass and treble all the way down most of the time, and use a boost for more mids.

• Members

My q is set like so bass at 6 mid at 4.5 and treble at 7. Presence is always past 12 o clock sometimes more.

I met a dude who liked his eq like this: bass at 9 mid at 1 and treble at 3. Presence off. It was the worste sounding {censored} ever super muddy he got burried in his band, stupid newbs.

• Members

My q is set like so bass at 6 mid at 4.5 and treble at 7. Presence is always past 12 o clock sometimes more.

I met a dude who liked his eq like this: bass at 9 mid at 1 and treble at 3. Presence off. It was the worste sounding {censored} ever super muddy he got burried in his band, stupid newbs.

Lol I'm pretty sure that's what most people around here do. I can never hear the guitar, or really the band, at all. It's just a big humming noise. It's like they manage to find the most backwards way possible to set things compared to how they should sound to hear everything well, and somehow, decide that that sounds good.

I'd have to guess that the problem is that lots of guitarists stand right next to the speakers and want to feel it thump and move air. The problem is, it takes a good distance for the low frequencies to fully develop, so at the distance the audience is standing at, they can't hear anything but a mess.

• Members
yeah, same here... don't like the "boxy" sound you get from too much mids with 4 v30's though.. I usually lower the mids a little.. just until that boxy sound is gone. I don't think I'll have to lower them as much when I have the 2 v30's/2 gt75's speaker combo

Yes! That's how I dial in my amps...crank it up, lower the bass so it's not so muddy, get the treble and presence so it's nice and clear, and knock down the mids so it sounds a bit cleaner.

:wave: for bright tones...

• Members

I love my tone being bright. I always have my bass rolled back on and my treble pretty high or dimed, depending on how naturally dark the amp is. On 5150s, I almost always have the treble dimed.

Holy {censored}, where is your presence?

• Members

TREBLE REBELS!:mad:

ok but seriously, i also prefer a brighter tone.

i start by turning up the presence and treble like to around 8-9 then i add bass to add some shaking ability to the amp and to mellow the upper end so it doesn't pierce ears. on my bv60 the bass ends up at 8, its a very bright amp. then u get a grinding crunch

i also start witht he mids at zero then i bring them up enough to get a good cut, usually they end up somewhere between 2 and 3. deping on how loud every one else is

gain is also the same principal, u want as much as u can to be satifised but not so much that it destroys the tone, as opposed to hurting the ears with treble, its just gets mushy rather than sounding more crunchy when u get past a certain point.

with brighter tone, the guitar stands apart from the bass very well which is important to me. In many mixes with these low mid, low end heavy amps like rectifiers, the bass & guitar blends togther, which is what some band/jams prefer as a base for their rythm, but i like to stand out

Archived