so who here LIKES bright tones? lots of treble

JoshuaLogan

• Members
:mad:

ok but seriously, i also prefer a brighter tone.

i start by turning up the presence and treble like to around 8-9 then i add bass to add some shaking ability to the amp and to mellow the upper end so it doesn't pierce ears. on my bv60 the bass ends up at 8, its a very bright amp. then u get a grinding crunch

i also start witht he mids at zero then i bring them up enough to get a good cut, usually they end up somewhere between 2 and 3. deping on how loud every one else is

gain is also the same principal, u want as much as u can to be satifised but not so much that it destroys the tone, as opposed to hurting the ears with treble, its just gets mushy rather than sounding more crunchy when u get past a certain point.

with brighter tone, the guitar stands apart from the bass very well which is important to me. In many mixes with these low mid, low end heavy amps like rectifiers, the bass & guitar blends togther, which is what some band/jams prefer as a base for their rythm, but i like to stand out

I agree with this. I've noticed, mixes with upper mid ranged voiced amps have a definite differences between bass and guitar.

but then again there is probably alot due to the mixing/master of the tracks.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I like a lot of treble and upper mids with not so much compression, just wide open sound. My Reinhardts get me there.

Mesa boogies treble irritates me.
:mad:

+1 except for some of marks, some of santanas tone justifes why marks are really the only mesas i like

definitely with rectifiers the low mids eats up the upper end, i think their loose voicing is why, alot of treble is lost when u have that loose of voicing, of couse that can change with a boost, but there are amps that sound better w/o a boost IMO

it sounds really heavy but in a mix i think that heavyness kinda gets lost when it blends with the bass, with a tighter voicing, the faster attck i think is factor beucase it'll have quicker response than the bass, when the bass hit for eample E, then the guitar hit an open power chord E, u hear the guitar's volume peak out first

• Members

The Hellatone 30 (G12H-30) speakers I use with my Quickrod are pretty balanced speakers, but the low-mid warmth that they tend to emphasize a little more than the other frequencies balances out the naturally bright Splawn. I run my bass just past noon, say 12:30. Then my mids are just about at noon, maybe a tiny bit less. Then I have my treble around 1:30 or two. Presence is at noon or around 1:00.

What I have found with the G12H is: It has a gritty character to the top end of it's spectrum, and if you turn the bass up too much with a high-gain amp, not only does it get a bit on the muddy side, but the gritty character gets emphasised as well. So, like many of you probably already know, instead of trying to thicken my tone with the BASS knob, I thicken it with the MIDS knob. That way, my guitar tone is more distinctive and it doesn't blend in with the bass player so much. Sometimes you just have to remember where each instrument's frequencies are supposed to comfortably sit in the mix. Yay for treble!

• Members

+1... An amp not being able to get sufficiently bright is a deal breaker. Like most people, I definitely have a personal limit... but when dialing in the amp it should go all the way from barely enough into what most would consider the high side of the spectrum ;).

I've heard some metal players in the 80s go way overboard on the presence but I prefer an amp to have more rather than less and strongly prefer bright to dark.

• Members

I never thought I preferred bright tones or anything, but I do play a strat into a Marshall styled 6v6 four input amp with the treble and mids dimed, presence at 3 o'clock or higher, and bass nearly at 0.

lol, I imagine that's probably pretty bright

• Members

I love a nice bright amp, like a nice Fender amp. I keep my treble very high. On my Vox AD30VT it's treble at 3 o'clock, bass at 10 o'clock, and mids at 3 o'clock. I play clean almost all the time, sometimes with a bit of overdrive.

• Members

+1... An amp not being able to get sufficiently bright is a deal breaker. Like most people, I definitely have a personal limit... but when dialing in the amp it should go all the way from barely enough into what most would consider the high side of the spectrum
;)

I've heard some metal players in the 80s go way overboard on the presence but I prefer an amp to have more rather than less and strongly prefer bright to dark.

I'd have to say that's how I am.

There are a lot of amps I don't like simply because you can crank the treble and/or presence, and it never gets bright. I'm a tweaking nut, and like to have a decent range in the controls to get a lot of sounds out.

Some just need the right speakers, but it's really dumb when it's combos that do that.

• Members

I guess I don't like as much treble as some of you, because I do like amps that people say are dark... like mesa and bogner.. I just raise the treble pretty high on them... it gets enough, though the settings might look a little weird

• Members

There is a fine line between the kind of bright that is "clear and sweet sounding" and "tear your ears out shrill sounding". I usually add just enough treble to give my tone definition, tightness and clarity. Too much though, and it becomes razor blade-like and harsh. There's a fine line between just enough and too much.

I use the most treble with high gain rhythm tones. I tend to like darker lead tones though. Lead tones sound better when they're smoother I think, and turning the treble down a bit helps with that. I also like cleans better when they're a little darker.

It also depends on the amp itself though, obviously. Some amps sound better with a lot of treble, and some sound worse. The key, I think, is to balance the eq so that there is no single apparent overpowering frequency, but it is instead to create a balanced sound between all the frequencies. You want lots of treble? Fine, just make sure there's enough mids and bass so it doesn't sound harsh. You want lots of bass? Fine, just make sure there's enough of mids and treble so that the tone won't be flubby and muddy. You want lots of mids? Fine, just make sure there's enough treble and bass so that you tone isn't boxy.

• Members
lol, I imagine that's probably pretty bright

Believe it or not, it sounds pretty balanced to me:eek: :eek: .

I'm pretty sure it's not that I've lost high end hearing, it's not that bad yet, but I think the amp is just darker than I'm used to.

• Members
I always see a ton of people on here complaining about amps being too bright, hurting their ears, sounding "shrill", blah blah blah.... I don't get it. I like a LOT of treble.... I know psychodave on here is another guy that likes a lot of treble... anybody else?

I don't see why so many complain about brightness... you won't cut through very well in a band with the treble so low... also, I remember listening to a soldano SLO clip on here and it sounded like the treble was rolled all the way off.... why would you get a SLO to set it up like that? they are known for being really bright... that's why people like them... nice for lead playing

anyways... both clean and overdrive/high gain always sound dull to me without enough treble... has nothing to do with low mids/high mids thing either... I actually like low-mids more... like mesa and bogner, just with lots of treble along side it... I guess I'm not understanding why so many people bitch and complain about it and are so finicky... hopefully I'm not {censored}ing up my hearing already
:freak:

In my experience it's a fine line having adequate treble that is pleasing to the ear and will cut through the mix, to the treble cutting your head off and actually being disruptive to yourself and the audience :D

We all place that line in a slightly different spot I think :)

• Members

I think Mesas treble sounds artificial. It is my feeling that it's because they shunt out the treble and add it back in on down the line to make their amps behave with all the gain they have.

Archived