so who here LIKES bright tones? lots of treble

JoshuaLogan

• Members

We all place that line in a slightly different spot I think
:)

Yeah, probably right at as much as our ears can bear for lots of people, which is different for everyone, of course. It pretty much always sound better to me right until it actually becomes ear piercingly harsh.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i like pretty bright tones overall, and i definitely recorded tones that are on the brighter sides...i'm usually the guy listening to everyone's clips thinking 'man that sounds dark'

i know some amps have a harsh/unpleasant high end tho...thankfully, the ones i own don't

• Members

Well I just tried lowering my Treble on my amp and boosting the bass up a good amount. Alot of Bass with the treble cut back sounds pretty sweet for really heavy stuff with palm muting, but I definately wouldnt cut through well in a band situation.

I find I prefer a good amount of Treble and Mids when I play lead though so I cut through better. It would be cool if I had a nice 3 channel amp though. A channel for Rhythm, Lead, and Clean would be sweet, that way I could get the best of both worlds for my distorted sound while still having my cleans set the way I want them. I guess I just have to get a new amp :D.

• Members
i like pretty bright tones overall, and i definitely recorded tones that are on the brighter sides...i'm usually the guy listening to everyone's clips thinking 'man that sounds dark'

i know some amps have a harsh/unpleasant high end tho...thankfully, the ones i own don't

I like your lead clips a lot... good amount of treble. the mark 3 ones you've done are my favorites... nice and smooth but still lots of bite :love:

• Members
Well I just tried lowering my Treble on my amp and boosting the bass up a good amount. Alot of Bass with the treble cut back sounds pretty sweet for really heavy stuff with palm muting, but I definately wouldnt cut through well in a band situation.

I find I prefer a good amount of Treble and Mids when I play lead though so I cut through better. It would be cool if I had a nice 3 channel amp though. A channel for Rhythm, Lead, and Clean would be sweet, that way I could get the best of both worlds for my distorted sound while still having my cleans set the way I want them. I guess I just have to get a new amp
:D

a nice od/boost/preamp pedal can be awesome for getting a psuedo third channel with a different sound

• Members

a nice od/boost/preamp pedal can be awesome for getting a psuedo third channel with a different sound

Yeah I was thinking about getting a boost, but wouldnt know what to get and how to set it up to get a good sound.

• Members
I like your lead clips a lot... good amount of treble. the mark 3 ones you've done are my favorites... nice and smooth but still lots of bite
:love:

thanks man, that's what i try for

i often find that getting a lead tone i like is pretty easy, it's getting a good rhythm tone that i struggle with

• Members
http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=1395580212.wma

:freak:
I hope it sounds better than that in person... yikes.

I'm not really a fan of alot of treble. I like the vocals, crash and hi-hats to fill out that space, so I keep the treble and presence down lowwww on my stuff, especially since I'm playing a Tele.

The only bright tones I like are that of a Vox AC30.

• Members

Not a fan of lots of treble... i just don't like the feeling of a icepick being driven through my eardrums.

That said, i like a well balanced, but kinda darkish tone.

yeah, but a well balanced tone that sounds good in a band mix, will sound harsh by itself

my tone without drums and bass sounds harsh and crap. but when it mixes with drums and bass.. it sounds sweet and much darker

• Members

A hint from an Engl tube tone believer at this place: plug your guitar into an Engl Screamer 50 amp, set the treble pot between 12 and 3 o'clock activate the Bright feature and you will get an extra bright sound with lots of high mids and treble. But I suggest not to go to far with the Presence in the Lead channels otherwise the eardrum may burst with the suggested treble setting.
And for those who are looking for a smoother tone I would encourage a setting of the Treble control between 9 and 12 o'clock in combination with a moderate Presence setting, lets say the knob set between 9 and 1 o'clock depending on the preferred sound style and the pickups. In this setting area you can also play bluesy styles and you'll get a very nice singing lead tone with precise definition of the notes as known from all Engls. In case you like to invest more money in an amp the SE or the new Invader could be a great deal. The SE amp offers a Normal Bright switch, an Ultra Bright switch, the Treble control and two Presence control pots in the poweramp stage: pretty enough for dialing in every sound style you can imagine and the switching features are programmable via MIDI which lets you access every stored sound setting; either it is Ultra Bright, or warm and smooth or some kind of muddy via a MIDI footcontroller on stage. Can there still be some more wishes concerning the matter Treble and Bright my friends ? Then you should really consider to book a shuttle ticket to the next trip to Mars; possibly the Mars guys have amps with some additional very unique features.:idea:

• Members

i also gotta say that while i like a bright rhythm tone, i like a thicker/smoother lead tone; especially live...i think i'd go crazy if i had to go back to an amp that didn't have seperate rhythm/lead channels; tho you can always use a boost with some highs rolled off and get pretty close with a lot of amps

Archived